Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph41190)
    BMI is bull. My friend is in the army and is the size of a tank in terms of physical strength. Not an ounce of fat on him! But his BMI is 28!!!

BMI is not accurate for muscular men, but it's fine for women. The majority of women do not have enough muscle to skew the results of the BMI.

ReputationRep:
    OP is saw your profile in a thread earlier on and thought you were pretty, and the word fat never came to mind tbh. Your mum needs to give up smoking more urgently than for you to lose weight, but they're both personal decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Go read the relevant part of the thread, and use your amazing powers of comprehension to work it out.
    I dont see why people like you have to be so rude. Its just unnecessary. I am sorry I tried to help you understand. I do hope you don't talk to people like this in person.

ReputationRep:
    this makes me angry...i can relate

i was told i was fat when i wasn't coz i think my folks wanted me to be thin as in thin...they meant well with it but yeah

so this, with a few other pressures started me on a course of dangerous dieting...i used to be fine but ironically i got myself genuinely "fat" by messing up my metabolism...i am now on tablets

so trust me, don't cave into parental pressure if you feel fine as you are...if you want a fair assessment of what your size means, go to a dr and ask them what they think

seriously though, i used to be chubby, now i'm big and on weight loss tablets as a result of a flawed relationship with food as a result of such pressures

so totally ignore what your mum says and get your facts from a dr as i was called fat because i started puberty early and *shocker* my thighs got bigger

ReputationRep:
    be happy with who you are if you don't want to change your weight then don't,
    be proud of who you are,
    if your mom does not wish to stop smoking that that is her choice, if you don't wish to lose weight then that is your choice,
    be happy

ReputationRep:
    My mum does it to me too. I just ignore her though, cos she's fat too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.