Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Promise rings, covenant rings, no-sex rings, silver ring thing, abstanance rings. wow thats a big ask.

What is your oppinion of people who promise not to have sex unless its with their husband or wife. Do you respect or insult them. Find it a turn on or a turn off. I'd love to hear your views

ReputationRep:
    Don't mind really.

ReputationRep:
    if anything i admire them... i mean i could never do that :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's there choice and as long as it doesn't directly or indirectly affect me i'm fine with it.

ReputationRep:
    jonas brothers?demi lovato?selena gomez?britney? yes they all have/had them and its all a big conspiracy to get them more fans.
    that really annoys me.
    but yes respect to anyone who genuinely upholds those values.
    i sure couldnt

ReputationRep:
    I admire them and yet I would run a mile if anyone asked me to wear one.

ReputationRep:
    Don't really care tbh. It's their life.

ReputationRep:
    i think they're being cockteases. don't need to declare it to the world.

ReputationRep:
    I dont get it!! how can you wear a ring to say your not going to have sex with anyone untill you marry that one person. For a lot so soon after you have met! why not just get married and get down and dirty!!

ReputationRep:
    If they want to do that that's fine, I just don't see how the ring is significant? If you want to abstain, then just get on with it. A ring isn't going to make you able to do it better.

ReputationRep:
    what if you marry them and they're rubbish in bed?
    just saying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    If they want to do that that's fine, I just don't see how the ring is significant? If you want to abstain, then just get on with it. A ring isn't going to make you able to do it better.
    Because they NEED people to see that they are doing it for that sense of self-righteousness.

ReputationRep:
    I think they lie to themselves.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really bother me that much, but to be honest, I feel somewhat sorry for them. I mean, I could never do that. But then again I never really saw losing my virginity uber important. They probably see sex as something treasured and to be with someone you love, which is all fine and dandy. But why wait til marriage? What does a piece of paper or ring have over just feeling love for someone. I find it so ridiculous that people assume marriage = commitment.

And plus, if I was in their shoes, and had sex for the very first time with my husband, I would be kicking myself due to all the lost time beforehand, when I could have just done it earlier. Its the most overrated experience ever.

-runs-

ReputationRep:
    they wear the ring because it is easier to keep a promise with other people judging you if u don't (harsh but true) as to the whole thing of commitment i think its great, people nowadays are expected to cheat its nice to see people that cherish what they have.

So what would you do if you found out your bf/gf had one?

ReputationRep:
    Morons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssorrenidrag)
    be angry they had been leading me on and break up with them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssorrenidrag)
    fold pre imo

[/2+2 talk]

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit weird...

ReputationRep:
    I don't care, it's got nothing to do with me.

If I found out my bf had one, I'd probably laugh as we've already had sex and we're deffinitly not married...
    Don't get the 'people are expected to cheat' thing though, I don't expect anyone to cheat.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.