Turn on thread page Beta

Promise Rings YIKES!!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I respect their decision, why not? people tease people for anything nowadays!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssorrenidrag)
    Promise rings, covenant rings, no-sex rings, silver ring thing, abstanance rings. wow thats a big ask.

What is your oppinion of people who promise not to have sex unless its with their husband or wife. Do you respect or insult them. Find it a turn on or a turn off. I'd love to hear your views
    I think, its not as cracked up as it may seem...

I used to believe in that, but what if your husband/wife is not sexually compatible.

Marriages need work!

I say try before you buy, returns are painful and expsensive

ReputationRep:
    Personally if someone wants to remain a virgin 'til they're married that is an excellent choice on their part. The benefits are numerous: self-control, no unwanted pregnancies, no spreading of STIs, and saving what they see as precious for one particular person (or more if they get re-married).

However what I don't understand is why they have to outwardly display their abstinence, I mean they have the right too, but there is no reason to (actually I think they make themselves more vunerable to preying men). If you have to look at a ring to remind you of a promise, it says little about your willpower.

ReputationRep:
    they wear the ring because it is easier to keep a promise with other people judging you if u don't (harsh but true) as to the whole thing of commitment i think its great, people nowadays are expected to cheat its nice to see people that cherish what they have.

So what would you do if you found out your bf/gf had one?
    Cheating and waiting until you're married to have sex are two COMPLETELY different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meagz)
    Because they NEED people to see that they are doing it for that sense of self-righteousness.
    Completely agree, if you want to abstain, do it, but having a ring is just trying to tell people "hey i'm not gonna have sex aren't I a great person i'm so going to heaven...."

ReputationRep:
    If someone wants to wait till their wedding night, then so be it. I don't really see the point or why anyone would though. Also, why on earth do you need to wear a ring to show it to everyone? I feel like doing that they try to force the idea upon everyone else, and that they condemn people who do have premarital sex. Like they think they're better than anyone else.

Have you guys heard about purity balls? http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/19/us/19purity.html?_r=1 If you thought wearing a ring is crazy, then check this out.

ReputationRep:
    Their choice, don't really see what difference wearing a ring makes to it all though.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It's their choice :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I follow the whole promise ring values thing except I don't wear a ring lol
    I suppose the ring might be for people of weaker will power as a reminder to them.

ReputationRep:
    they wear the ring because it is easier to keep a promise with other people judging you if u don't (harsh but true) as to the whole thing of commitment i think its great, people nowadays are expected to cheat its nice to see people that cherish what they have.

So what would you do if you found out your bf/gf had one?
    What absolute, utter ********.

And as to your question, i'd most likely leave them (unless I was certain they were "the one "), as sex is a pretty important part of a relationship and being someone who doesn't believe in no-sex-before-marriage myself, it wouldn't be particularly fair on me.

ReputationRep:
    Hm good for people who can abstain, I spose, but as has already been said, why do you have to wear a ring to show the world? Or is it to remind yourself before you accidently have sex with someone?

Silly though really, puts so much pressure on whomever you marry. And then what if it doesn't work out and you get divorced and maybe marry again? All I'm saying is you only live once! Save sex for someone you love, you don't necessarily have to be married to them.

ReputationRep:
    I want to try before I buy.

ReputationRep:
    as long bothered by the self righteousness of it as long as im not going out with one of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Morons.
    and some of them are probably mormons...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    why do you have to wear a ring to show the world? Or is it to remind yourself before you accidently have sex with someone?
    :rofl:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I thought promise rings were a bit like pre-engagement rings? Nothing to do with sex at all.

With regards to the other ones, I get the impression that most people who wear the rings are coerced into it - whether that's by their family, their church or just the fact that everyone they know is going to the ceremony. If you want to wait for marriage, that's fair enough - you don't need to go to a special ceremony and wear a ring. Nobody I know who holds those views feels the need to make a song and dance about it.

Another thing I'd be worried about is that this abstinence-only education means that the importance of contraception generally isn't impressed upon people. It's the people who are forced into making this sort of vow that end up breaking it, so when they do end up having sex before marriage, they not only have to suffer the guilt of breaking the promise - they're also morely likely to end up pregnant or catch an STI, too.

ReputationRep:
    It's up to them, but there's no way I'd wait.
    And why not wear a ring? It's no different to wearing a ring to signify being married or engaged.

ReputationRep:
    People wait for sex with their married partner so that it brings that couple together more.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's nice. I respect their decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Windsprite)
    Personally if someone wants to remain a virgin 'til they're married that is an excellent choice on their part. The benefits are numerous: self-control, no unwanted pregnancies, no spreading of STIs, and saving what they see as precious for one particular person (or more if they get re-married).

However what I don't understand is why they have to outwardly display their abstinence, I mean they have the right too, but there is no reason to (actually I think they make themselves more vunerable to preying men). If you have to look at a ring to remind you of a promise, it says little about your willpower.
    Very good post with good points.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.