Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Before i start i hope i dont offend anyone, my description will be poor/vague at best and i dont mean to cause offence i am just trying to find out what religion these people belong/believe in

To start i will suggest that i believe the people i am about to describe are believers in a subset of Christianity <if thats at all possible>

They wear headscarf's that resemble a checked appearance <almost tea towel pattern - please forgive me for such a crude analogy> and the headwear is worn only by the woman. I also have for some reason some missconception that they dont watch tv or listen to the radio, but this may just be a fable and i am not sure why i think this. Also skin tone is traditionally british

I hope i didnt offend anyone with this comment, i am just curious to find out

thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's the Exclusive Brethren.

http://theexclusivebrethren.com/

Edited to add: you are right, in that they cannot watch TV and listen the radio. Nor can they own mobile phones, access the internet, go the cinema, eat with outsiders and young people cannot go to university (in to keep them separated from 'evil').

My cousin teaches in a school with a small number of Brethren children who attend, and they have a classroom put aside for them to eat in, because of the 'can't eat with outsiders' rule.

ReputationRep:
    eugh.. what a bunch of elitest *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    It's the Exclusive Brethren.

http://theexclusivebrethren.com/

Edited to add: you are right, in that they cannot watch TV and listen the radio. Nor can they own mobile phones, access the internet, go the cinema, eat with outsiders and young people cannot go to university (in to keep them separated from 'evil').

My cousin teaches in a school with a small number of Brethren children who attend, and they have a classroom put aside for them to eat in, because of the 'can't eat with outsiders' rule.
    They cannot access the internet but have a website? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azhao)
    I know, I thought the same thing when I first discovered the website, but they don't actually run it though, they just endorse it.

I suppose they realise that for many others the internet is a tool of discovering information, and therefore they want to ensure that the Brethren is fairly represented if people are going to look them up on-line, hence they endorse this site.

Just a hunch though.

ReputationRep:
    Oddly enough, one of my theology teachers used to be one of these. :curious:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the websites been written by one of them, probably some of them were interviewed,or perhaps someone who used to be one wrote it. That or they did it "in secret". It speaks about them as "they" rather than "we".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azhao)
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azhao)
    God made the site, didn't you know? It's why tbh it's a bit of an outdated site, more interactive buttons to click on please, maybe some more colour even if it's shades of blue.

ReputationRep:
    WAIT! So they can't watch the GOD channel! HERESY!!!!:p:

ReputationRep:
    Joking aside, the 'not watching television' and 'no internet access' rules, make life very difficult for my cousin and her colleagues. If a DVD or a session on the computers at school, forms part of a lesson, the Brethren children cannot participate. It means that they have to make provision for them elsewhere, which is just extra work, on top of what they already do.

Considering the Brethren have their own schools for children 11-17, I can't see why they just can't have their own schools right from the start, as often the children can't participate anyway.

Edited to add: The leaders of the Brethren don't allow the children to participate in sporting activities either. It does make you wonder why they even send them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    Joking aside, the 'not watching television' and 'no internet access' rules, make life very difficult for my cousin and her colleagues. If a DVD or a session on the computers at school, forms part of a lesson, the Brethren children cannot participate. It means that they have to make provision for them elsewhere, which is just extra work, on top of what they already do.

Considering the Brethren have their own schools for children 11-17, I can't see why they just can't have their own schools right from the start, as often the children can't participate anyway.

Edited to add: The leaders of the Brethren don't allow the children to participate in sporting activities either. It does make you wonder why they even send them.
    can they play sports within the collective or is it no sports period in their entire life's...if so are they fat?:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    can they play sports within the collective or is it no sports period in their entire life's...if so are they fat?:p:
    They can eat together but if they can't play sport together, do they just eat together even more?
    I guess sport can make you look good, and if you look good you're probably more likely to have sex, and unless you're married I guess they count that as a sin...
    ...so my (not so) logical conclusion will be they can't play sport!

ReputationRep:
    They can't play sports within the collective, as the leaders are concerned they'll pick up 'bad habits' from the other pupils. Plus there's the competitive nature, they don't like that either.

ReputationRep:
    :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    God made the site, didn't you know? It's why tbh it's a bit of an outdated site, more interactive buttons to click on please, maybe some more colour even if it's shades of blue.
    thats why is so slow to load up, the server is stuck in bethlehem in a shed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moony12345)
    thats why is so slow to load up, the server is stuck in bethlehem in a shed.

someone pos him for m before my sides split.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jermaindefoe)
    . . . They wear headscarf's that resemble a checked appearance <almost tea towel pattern - please forgive me for such a crude analogy> and the headwear is worn only by the woman. . . .
    Yes, "Brethren" or "exclusive brethren".

They get this doctrine from 1 Corinthians 11:
    "For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. . . does not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering."

But the passsage also says:-

For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels. (v10)

i.e. it's about being under authority, a man should be in charge, physical head-covering is just an analogy

"if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God" (v16)
    - there is no command about physicaal head-wear.

This sect also reject speaking in tongues as what happens when people receive God's Spirit, saying it was just a first-century thing.
    As such, they are not Christian in the original (and true) sense.
    (Acts 2:4, 33, 39; 10:44-48)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Yes, "Brethren" or "exclusive brethren".

They get this doctrine from 1 Corinthians 11:
    "For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. . . does not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering."
    Is it passage saying it is bad for men to have long hair then? Why does the commonly used image of Jesus have long hair if this is true.

Oh and also they are Christian. Surely to be Christian by definition you simply need to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and saviour being the son of God/part of God. I assume you'd also have to accept the doctrine of the trinity as being the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azhao)
    That's confusing :|

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.