Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Secret Brethren SUCK!!

hehehe....unless their sinning they wont read this.

sorry..I had too. Back on topic now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Is it passage saying it is bad for men to have long hair then? Why does the commonly used image of Jesus have long hair if this is true.
    It seems from the passage that it was the custom of that time for men not to have long hair like women.

Revelation 9 describes the muslim/arabs who attacked the eastern third of the Roman empire the same way:-

"And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions" (v8)

The church I'm in has the same view . . . not as a matter of salvation, but men having long hair and women having very short hair kind of attracts attention to you and sends a message that kind of detracts from what we are about.

Paintings of Jesus are atrists impressions fom the middle ages, based on their culture and imagination rather than any historical record that I'm aware of.

Oh and also they are Christian. Surely to be Christian by definition you simply need to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and saviour being the son of God/part of God. I assume you'd also have to accept the doctrine of the trinity as being the truth.
    You are repeating the "gospel" of nominal christianity. Under Constantine in the 4th C, The Nicene Creed was put together listing commonly accepted beliefs. Since then many are taught that by professing these yiou are a Christian.

Jesus' death was to enable us to be saved by receiving His LIFE, through receiving His Spirit (Titus 3:5-6, Acts 2:4, 33, 39, John 3:3-8).

Many "churches" preach that Jesus died to save us at calvary and just assume that if you believe that you are already saved, but Calvary was to enable Pentecost, and what followed.
    You are not a Christian until you have received His Spirit

"they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
    But you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." (Romans 8:8-9)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    It seems from the passage that it was the custom of that time for men not to have long hair like women.

Revelation 9 describes the muslim/arabs who attacked the eastern third of the Roman empire the same way:-

"And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions" (v8)

The church I'm in has the same view . . . not as a matter of salvation, but men having long hair and women having very short hair kind of attracts attention to you and sends a message that kind of detracts from what we are about.

Paintings of Jesus are atrists impressions fom the middle ages, based on their culture and imagination rather than any historical record that I'm aware of.

You are repeating the "gospel" of nominal christianity. Under Constantine in the 4th C, The Nicene Creed was put together listing commonly accepted beliefs. Since then many are taught that by professing these yiou are a Christian.

Jesus' death was to enable us to be saved by receiving His LIFE, through receiving His Spirit (Titus 3:5-6, Acts 2:4, 33, 39, John 3:3-8).

Many "churches" preach that Jesus died to save us at calvary and just assume that if you believe that you are already saved, but Calvary was to enable Pentecost, and what followed.
    You are not a Christian until you have received His Spirit

"they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
    But you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." (Romans 8:8-9)
    So unless at some point in your life you have a spasm and speak in tongues your not a Christian? Your saying that's the definition of recieving Gods spirit and so since these Brethren don't believe in the validity of modern day speaking in tongues their not Christian?

I didn't think that was the definition of having the spirit of God inside you, although I'm not sure what is...

ReputationRep:
    So unless at some point in your life you have a spasm and speak in tongues your not a Christian? Your saying that's the definition of recieving Gods spirit and so since these Brethren don't believe in the validity of modern day speaking in tongues their not Christian?
    You are having a "spasm" adding that detail in an attempt to vilify God's way and somehow justify non-acceptance.

For perhaps the first time in your life you actually believe that God knows better than you so you receive what he says you need - his Spirit who leads you in prayer (speaking in tongues).

The modern day phenomena is no different from the original, it is for speaking to God, not to men.

ReputationRep:
    Religion makes me sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    You are having a "spasm" adding that detail in an attempt to vilify God's way and somehow justify non-acceptance.

For perhaps the first time in your life you actually believe that God knows better than you so you receive what he says you need - his Spirit who leads you in prayer (speaking in tongues).

The modern day phenomena is no different from the original, it is for speaking to God, not to men.
    do you understand what spasm means? Looking at videos of people speaking in tongues it appears that their muscles often all tense, especially facial muscles. Uncontrollable tensing is a "spasm" of the muscles. Just because ignorant people say " oh he's a spaz!" it doesn't remove the words medical meaning.

ReputationRep:
    do you understand what spasm means? Looking at videos of people speaking in tongues it appears that their muscles often all tense, especially facial muscles. Uncontrollable tensing is a "spasm" of the muscles. Just because ignorant people say " oh he's a spaz!" it doesn't remove the words medical meaning.
    When I or any of my friends speak in tongues, we can control when, how long and how loud we do it.

It is sad that you are looking at extreme behaviour on youtube then taking it as the norm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    When I or any of my friends speak in tongues, we can control when, how long and how loud we do it.

It is sad that you are looking at extreme behaviour on youtube then taking it as the norm.
    so you can control when you speak in tongues, you could genuinely do it right now? Hmm odd, I was just the impression that speaking in tongues was not a conscious thing as the spirit of the Lord almost takes you over, for a certain length of time, but good for you if you and those you knoe can speak it when ever you want.

ReputationRep:
    No sports huh?

C'mon, I'm sure even Mr.Jesus enjoyed a little Donkey Racing on the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    My little sister went to primary school with a pair of them, they always had to leave the class when they watched videos--

What I found strangest though was that their whole extended family had moved here from south africa and managed to get houses in the same street

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, which is weirder, the secret brethren or NJA's cult? It's a tough choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Hmm, which is weirder, the secret brethren or NJA's cult? It's a tough choice.
    Perhaps you can tell us the true way or the true church Psyk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Perhaps you can tell us the true way or the true church Psyk?
    Well I can't, but I doubt your church, or indeed any other church, is even remotely close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Well I can't, but I doubt your church, or indeed any other church, is even remotely close.
    presuming that there is a "true way".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Well I can't, but I doubt . . .
    That's honest.

I'm sure many would say the same, so they just find the best way they can . . . find what works, reject unhelpful attitudes, be open-minded . ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    That's honest.

I'm sure many would say the same, so they just find the best way they can . . . find what works, reject unhelpful attitudes, be open-minded . ..
    You don't exactly come across as someone who is open minded. You seem pretty sure that your way is right and everyone elses is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    be open-minded . ..
    HAHA! Omg don't do that! You just made me spit out a piece of pizza laughing! YOU OPEN MINDED, oh that's good, you should do stand up, oh wow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    That's honest.

By open minded do you mean:
    1) Be careful not to form opinions as facts
    2) Believe what you want to but allow there to be room for change, so that if some form of proof is put forward or your argument refuted, you won't just stick to what you've been saying like a broken record
    3) other (please specify)

I've heard the first two used, I agree with the second one and think the first one was just used by someone who didn't know what they were talking about.

Do they have some relation with the Amish by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    You don't exactly come across as someone who is open minded. You seem pretty sure that your way is right and everyone elses is wrong.
    That's because, unlike other people, I have seen both sides.

I have allowed my eyes to be opened by being born again ("except a man be born again he CANNOT SEE the kingdom of God").

There is another life that I experience daily. When others deny it to me it's like a blind man denying what he can't see.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.