Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    That's because, unlike other people, I have seen both sides.

I have allowed my eyes to be opened by being born again ("except a man be born again he CANNOT SEE the kingdom of God").

There is another life that I experience daily. When others deny it to me it's like a blind man denying what he can't see.
    fancy replying to my post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    By open minded do you mean:
    1) Be careful not to form opinions as facts
    2) Believe what you want to but allow there to be room for change, so that if some form of proof is put forward or your argument refuted, you won't just stick to what you've been saying like a broken record
    3) other (please specify)
    I mean test out what is presented, don't just listen to the opposition / alternative.

Now I experience the life the bible prophesies about I have no reasonm to doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moony12345)
    thats why is so slow to load up, the server is stuck in bethlehem in a shed.
    win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    I mean test out what is presented, don't just listen to the opposition / alternative.

Now I experience the life the bible prophesies about I have no reasonm to doubt it.

so if there was conclusive proof that God didn't exist would you listen to it? would you consider it when deciding whether or not you should believe in God?
    or would you just continue to believe anyway?

ReputationRep:
    so if there was conclusive proof that God didn't exist would you listen to it? . .
    Of course!

But if there was, his enemy Satan would already have used it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Of course!

seriously?
    that's your answer?
    is it possible for God to exist, but Satan not?

ReputationRep:
    seriously?
    that's your answer?
    is it possible for God to exist, but Satan not?
    I know God exists and I believe Satan exists cos God says so. What do you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    I know God exists and I believe Satan exists cos God says so. What do you know?
    Can you please define what you mean by the verb to know?

ReputationRep:
    Can you please define what you mean by the verb to know?
    I already have from the comments I have made.

You used the verb in post #38, what definition were you using?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    I already have from the comments I have made.

You used the verb in post #38, what definition were you using?
    Sorry you're right, I should put that in context, the person hadn't come across the phrase very much and hadn't ever looked at the definition nor had they used the word before (so the concept wasn't known to them).

To have knowledge would be (as far as I'm aware) to have a form of information about something that can not be refuted.

For instance a priori thinking.
    To deny that 2+2=4 you would change the notions of what 2, +, = and 4 are.

There are also clearly arguments put forward such as 'I think therefore I am' which sparks from 'I doubt therefore something that doubts must exist or there could be no doubt in existence'.

These things are irrefutable, they are beyond doubt and something to be certain of.

On the other hand to know that this keyboard exists doesn't appear to be possible. There can always be the doubt of the sense's.

You claim to know God exists, I ask you to define exactly in your next post what you mean by knowledge. And also what you mean by God.

I've not seen a clear definition from you on what you mean by knowledge but if you have posted one on here and it is alluding me then please do quote it, or just re-write it .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Of course!

I think this is the first time I've had a literal facepalm moment. I can't even begin to explain the absurdity of that statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I think this is the first time I've had a literal facepalm moment. I can't even begin to explain the absurdity of that statement.
    I wish I'd been there to see it.

My argument is circular in that it assumes the existence of God's enemy to prove God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    I wish I'd been there to see it.

My argument is circular in that it assumes the existence of God's enemy to prove God.
    Well at least you realise that it's a circular argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Well at least you realise that it's a circular argument.
    Oh man, I've had fun with that argument, see here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Oh man, I've had fun with that argument, see here.
    I presume you've not been being serious then and you're not going to reply to my post...

(Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    It's the Exclusive Brethren.

http://theexclusivebrethren.com/

Edited to add: you are right, in that they cannot watch TV and listen the radio. Nor can they own mobile phones, access the internet, go the cinema, eat with outsiders and young people cannot go to university (in to keep them separated from 'evil').

My cousin teaches in a school with a small number of Brethren children who attend, and they have a classroom put aside for them to eat in, because of the 'can't eat with outsiders' rule.
    How come they have a website, then? :p:

Is that like the Amish, then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    How come they have a website, then? :p:

Is that like the Amish, then?
    That's been answered already.

That's been answered already.
    Well, I mustn't have seen it, must I?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.