Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feeling depressed for my failed education Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I feel down and cheated. I'm expected to get somewhere between BBB and CCC at A-level which depresses me badly. I feel cheated because at GCSE me and my friends all got pretty decent grades, mine were better than most friends, however most of them left my school because it was bad for A-level. Most of my friends at school then went on to selective grammar/private schools which were much better and they all came out with grades at AS which was mostly AAB, some even AAA.

They said they had a good balance of everything and had a great 2 years where I have had not much of a social life trying to self study work which wasn't even taught in class and struggled; there was no balance, even self-studying the work was not good, I worked for about 10 minutes at the desk before getting depressed and leaving it, feeling generally shattered.

For uni though I've secured a foundation year place for Maths, it's a good uni too. I still feel down though becuase the year will put me one behind everyone else at degree level but I believe this is the only course for me as I believe I am actually good at Maths and can work hard at if I don't shatter and get depressed, I enjoy Maths and I'm not doing any other subjects so I should enjoy it. A lot of my friends who left my school and went onto private/grammar school got an A in Maths wheras I got an A*, yet two of them got A's in Maths and Further Maths and are planning to go to uni to do maths. So I still believe I can do it, my friends were actually shocked at my poor AS grades which was between BBB-CCC; too embarassed to say though. I just got a B at AS and will at A-level so I couldn't go onto a full maths degree because the good ones want further maths with an A in ordinary maths and I'd struggle anyway but the foundation year will bring me up to scratch.

Yet overall I'm still depressed about being behind when I had the potential to do well. I need advice, help and assurance really. Success stories also help a lot.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm a year late as I was educated at home and had to go to college to sit my GCSEs. This made me depressed as I knew I was capable of A level work yet I was sitting through what felt like pointless qualifications. It was also bad when my friends went off to uni and I was still at college. However, now I look at myself and I have offers for 2 great universities and I'm ready to start afresh! You should be proud of securing a place on that course and take the opportunity to get a headstart for your degree. Your year will be what you make it and you have a great opportunity to settle into a study pattern and benefit from what will hopefully be great resources and teaching

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leala4628)
    I'm a year late as I was educated at home and had to go to college to sit my GCSEs. This made me depressed as I knew I was capable of A level work yet I was sitting through what felt like pointless qualifications. It was also bad when my friends went off to uni and I was still at college. However, now I look at myself and I have offers for 2 great universities and I'm ready to start afresh! You should be proud of securing a place on that course and take the opportunity to get a headstart for your degree. Your year will be what you make it and you have a great opportunity to settle into a study pattern and benefit from what will hopefully be great resources and teaching
    It's different for you, you doing a proper degree, I'm doing a foundation year leading on to a degree, which will be pretty embarassing in front of everyone else, considering I'm going to a uni where people will have better A-levels than me (I'm expected between BBB-CCC, they get like AAB/ABB students). Also you can just say you took a year off like other gap year students and explain that you had circumstances where you were home schooled. Still need help here. Plus your going to Cambridge so you can't really say you were depressed as it meant you were always doing well academically.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people seem to be bothered by being 'a year behind' or even more. It's really not something you should worry about. I took a gap year myself so all of my school friends will be in 2nd year when I start 1st year in September but it doesn't matter to me one bit. If I hadn't taken this year out I'd be stuck in a degree which I had no passion for, doing something I had no interest in - some people just need more time to figure out what they want to do or more time to get where they want to be. There's no harm in that, if you want to do something right then you don't rush into it.

It's all about you as an individual and what's best for you, not what everyone else seems to be doing. 1 year is hardly anything anyway, people won't even know that you're 19 as opposed to 18 when you get into first year and if they did they really wouldn't be bothered.
    I have friends who I met on my gap year who are 15 to 20 years older than myself - they're going to university this year, do you think they care about what the friends they had in school are doing? Nah, they don't even know them anymore.

Focuse on you and believe in yourself, don't get wrapped up in what people you're age are up to, it really doesn't matter in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gr8)
    It's different for you, you doing a proper degree, I'm doing a foundation year leading on to a degree, which will be pretty embarassing in front of everyone else, considering I'm going to a uni where people will have better A-levels than me (I'm expected between BBB-CCC, they get like AAB/ABB students). Also you can just say you took a year off like other gap year students and explain that you had circumstances where you were home schooled. Still need help here. Plus your going to Cambridge so you can't really say you were depressed as it meant you were always doing well academically.
    It shouldn't be embarrassing at all. I was embarrassed a lot as I was sitting only 3 GCSEs where I got 2 A*s and 1 C compared to everyone going to university exchanging their grades mine were insignificant.

I've had a lot of problems trying to get my college to understand my depression and anxiety purely because I've always still got the grades. Just because some subjects come mmore naturally to me so I scrape the grades doesn't mean I'm not ill. i was at the doctors yesterday for it again, I lost my dad in my AS year so I've been very depressed.

I'm sorry I was no help to you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a year behind as well, I only sat one exam in my first year at college because I had no motivation, nobody cared and I fell behind.

You keep going on about feeling cheated that your friends moved schools and got better grades, but did you really try in yours? Like really?

I worked for about 10 minutes at the desk before getting depressed and leaving it, feeling generally shattered.
    I've done a hell of a lot of self study this year due to having an utterly **** teacher for two of my subjects and I'm confident I've done okay, so you can't use that as an excuse. You gave up and left your work, if you're a bright guy then you could have done well if you really applied yourself, there's only so much you can learn from a teacher anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gr8)
    Basically I feel down and cheated. I'm expected to get somewhere between BBB and CCC at A-level which depresses me badly. I feel cheated because at GCSE me and my friends all got pretty decent grades, mine were better than most friends, however most of them left my school because it was bad for A-level. Most of my friends at school then went on to selective grammar/private schools which were much better and they all came out with grades at AS which was mostly AAB, some even AAA.

They said they had a good balance of everything and had a great 2 years where I have had not much of a social life trying to self study work which wasn't even taught in class and struggled; there was no balance, even self-studying the work was not good, I worked for about 10 minutes at the desk before getting depressed and leaving it, feeling generally shattered.
    For uni though I've secured a foundation year place for Maths, it's a good uni too. I still feel down though becuase the year will put me one behind everyone else at degree level but I believe this is the only course for me as I believe I am actually good at Maths and can work hard at if I don't shatter and get depressed, I enjoy Maths and I'm not doing any other subjects so I should enjoy it. A lot of my friends who left my school and went onto private/grammar school got an A in Maths wheras I got an A*, yet two of them got A's in Maths and Further Maths and are planning to go to uni to do maths. So I still believe I can do it, my friends were actually shocked at my poor AS grades which was between BBB-CCC; too embarassed to say though. I just got a B at AS and will at A-level so I couldn't go onto a full maths degree because the good ones want further maths with an A in ordinary maths and I'd struggle anyway but the foundation year will bring me up to scratch.

Yet overall I'm still depressed about being behind when I had the potential to do well. I need advice, help and assurance really. Success stories also help a lot.
    Thanks
    what????

I have just completed my A-levels from a grammar school with generally good teachers, and have had to study loads of stuff myself. Are you familiar with the concept of homework? Or revision? Or reading around the subject?

Jesus, if you can study for only 10 minutes and then get depressed your lucky to get CCC...

ReputationRep:
    Dude believe me at the end of the day it doesnt really matter whether you are a year behind your classmates/friends. Believe school friendships donot last very long once you enter university. Work hard for your foundation course and join a uni then. You'll make new friends (sounds typical but it does work and believe me they are going to better than your current ones), so no need to get depressed man. I studied at a crappy A'level school so i had to self study half of the time, struggled all the time (my combo was bio chem phy maths) and my teachers were crap so i literally had to do everything myself, it messed up my social life to quite an extent. My friends were party type people, who hardly cared what grades they end up with, so you can imagine how hard it is to study in that type of environment. Anyway moral of the story, just work hard and you'll soon be back on track.

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't be embarrassing at all. I was embarrassed a lot as I was sitting only 3 GCSEs where I got 2 A*s and 1 C compared to everyone going to university exchanging their grades mine were insignificant.

I've had a lot of problems trying to get my college to understand my depression and anxiety purely because I've always still got the grades. Just because some subjects come mmore naturally to me so I scrape the grades doesn't mean I'm not ill. i was at the doctors yesterday for it again, I lost my dad in my AS year so I've been very depressed.

I'm sorry I was no help to you.
    your success story was inspiring, thanks

ReputationRep:
    though i still need more replies

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the neg rep.

'please refrain from giving such bad advice' it helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8 is enough)
    what????

I have just completed my A-levels from a grammar school with generally good teachers, and have had to study loads of stuff myself. Are you familiar with the concept of homework? Or revision? Or reading around the subject?

Jesus, if you can study for only 10 minutes and then get depressed your lucky to get CCC...
    I did some revision 2 weeks before the exam, not intense and all and more during the study period. I never read around the subject, never reviewed my work and homework was basically never set.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the neg rep.

'please refrain from giving such bad advice' it helped
    Erm..I never gave you any neg rep, I actually praised you in the above post, I have no repping power, look at my pos rep and I'm a full member so I couldn't have. I can prove it to you by pos repping you tommorow with my username. I must have been framed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gr8)
    I did some revision 2 weeks before the exam, not intense and all and more during the study period. I never read around the subject, never reviewed my work and homework was basically never set.
    So then its your own fault. You would have done equally badly if you'd gone to a better school. Your friends worked harder than you, and did better. Get over it.

Are you a troll?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8 is enough)
    So then its your own fault. You would have done equally badly if you'd gone to a better school. Your friends worked harder than you, and did better. Get over it.

Are you a troll?
    No, for my AS I worked at a fairly decent rate, like I did at GCSE, I did no extra reading outside the subject and waited till the last couple of months to really go to town and work and it still didn't come out that great, I didn't do many past papers either and so ended up doing pretty bad. But this year I didn't revise as much yet this time I bothered working a bit throughout the year and worked pretty hard for the January exams pulling my grades up by quite a bit, yet by June I was depressed and wanted to give up really. I also hated all my A-level subjects because I didn't really care about it at the time, I thought it would be like GCSE. I'm gonna get somehwere between BBB-CCC. I couldn't work hard for my A2 year becuase I kept getting depressed and din't feel like working; I knew my friends had peformed much better than me at AS and had offers at places like Imperial and UCL in their A" year. But in my AS year I felt I worked hard but didn't have the right technique or guidance and then in the A2 year I was too shatttered to work, that summarises it.

ReputationRep:
    your depressed about your education??? cos you didnt get perfect grades???

oh my god, i actually want to hit you for being do self absorbed!

i dont have any GCSE's cos i was home taught from 12 by my parents, so i dont have any A levels or anything...im stuck doing car mechanics cos it was car mechanics or hairdressing!
    and what about those people in other countries who cant go to school???

I'm sorry, but get over yourself and stop being so ******* self obsessed!

(btw, brutal honesty is my forte x)

ReputationRep:
    still need help here, so far there hasn't been much help, just people attacking me even more

ReputationRep:
    hello??

ReputationRep:
    Please don't see this as an attack but I went to state 6th forms, and I did not that great in first year but amazingly in second year because I worked really hard - maybe you didn't work that hard?
    Admittedly I'd probably have done better at AS had I been at a better school, but you can't put all the blame on your school if you see what I mean?

I'm a year behind too (most of my friends are graduating now!) but I've never noticed the difference in one year between my friends!

ReputationRep:
    Gr 8, just work hard and do your best but remember that grades arnt everything and A-levels are a big jump from Gcse's. Dont care about what anyone else is doing and just concentrate on getting a good education. As others have said being a year behind is nothing. be happy.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.