Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Harriet Harman's Equality Bill become an Act of Parliament? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should Harriet Harman's Equality Bill become an Act of Parliament
    Yes, it should become an Act
    12.50%
    No, it should not become an Act
    87.50%

ReputationRep:
    There's been plenty of threads in regards to this, but let's see how people ultimately feel about it.

ReputationRep:
    No. "Positive" discrimination is still discrimination. It's only positive if your the one benifiting.

Its like they are trying to quick fix the inequality rather than looking at the reasons why it occurs and sorting them.

ReputationRep:
    If this is the one that targets' northerners' then no. Not because of it's northerners but I might as well complain of the predominantly Oxbridge educated MPs and do the same. She may have gone to York but she went to an all-girls grammar school I believe. Perhaps I'll get my local MP to promote people who have not been to Oxbridge and went to a proper state school.

ReputationRep:
    The Bill should be scrapped, along with Harperson.

ReputationRep:
    The bill is total bs, Harriet Harman should crawl back under the rock she came from, stupid bint. It would be funny to say to her that women weren't discriminated against in the 60s, men were just positively discrimated against.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I had this debate with my politics teacher. His argument for it was that for equality you must start with a level field. From there you can stop the positive discrimination because everyone is equal. I disagree though. I think that this attitude fosters resentment, both when you impliment the positive discrimination and when you take it away as people feel they now deserve it. I think the path to equality is to treat everyone equaly and to change minds. This would be a quick fix that would backfire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    If this is the one that targets' northerners' then no. Not because of it's northerners but I might as well complain of the predominantly Oxbridge educated MPs and do the same. She may have gone to York but she went to an all-girls grammar school I believe. Perhaps I'll get my local MP to promote people who have not been to Oxbridge and went to a proper state school.
    Nah, she went to St Paul's Girls' School

So much for egalitarianism

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

The positive-discrimination aspect is over-stated. The candidates still have to be equal. The positive discrimination is just rhetoric, not meaningful, and is the kind of thing that large employers in the private sector do already.

One of the key issues isn't reported that well because it is technical. Existing anti-discrimination legislation is very complicated, and each Act is a little bit different. It is very difficult for people to enforce their rights in front of the Employment Tribunal unless they can afford a lawyer - and the complexity of it makes it very expensive. There is no legal aid in the Employment Tribunal: if you are poor, then unless you can find someone like myself to take your case on for free, you are pretty much screwed. The Equality Bill consolidates all the previous law and puts it in one place: it makes it much easier for people to know what the law is and to be able to enforce it.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    If this is the one that targets' northerners' then no.
    There is no bill which targets Northerners. The Northerners stuff was more in the way of guidance issued to the civil service, people were expressing concern over the civil service being dominated by Londoners. Its not a proposed law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    There is no bill which targets Northerners. The Northerners stuff was more in the way of guidance issued to the civil service, people were expressing concern over the civil service being dominated by Londoners. Its not a proposed law.
    Oh okay. Well, I've not looked into that much but I was under the impression that as most, if not all, of the civil service is in London it will attract the local workforce. I can't imagine working in London for the civil service whilst living in Hampshire because of the time and cost of travelling. There will be traffic jams on the roads and the cost of petrol will be cheaper than the train journey. If England wasn't so London-centric (and I'm a Londoner myself) then this wouldn't be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think i'm a reasonable person, and treat everyone as they are, not based on any discriminatory factors such as race, gender, sexuality etc. Im against this because i think most people are genuinely good and don't judge, and i despise Harman's militant egalitarianism. I would find it personally insulting as a member of a minority to find that i was a single-issue voter in the eyes of the Government; there is more to people than their race, gender etc.

ReputationRep:
    I would comment on all the reasons why Harman-esque equality drives are a bad thing, but Iain Dalehas already done a fantastic job of showing why they're not a good idea.

Harman irritates me, precisely because she actually believes and actively pursues this flawed ideal of 'enforced equality'. It is rooted in a lovely idea, but it has some unfortunate consequences. I believe that just leaving society alone, and not trying to engineer it in stupid ways will yield positive results. It may take longer, but at least it'll be an organic process rather than one that is thrust onto society unwillingly.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.