Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    One of my life long ambitions and dreams is to study at Cambridge university. I want to study French as my previously studied language, and Italian as my new language. How can I make sure that they choose me over another candidate? I'm getting the grades I need, but that isn't always enough. I also volunteer and I have lots of interests and hobbies which show that I'm a well rounded person.

Is there anyone currently studying MML at Cambridge who could give me tips and advice on how to guarantee myself a place?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Sleep with the admissions tutor :yep:

ReputationRep:
    You need to be good at rugger, and be able to take a hot crumpet from behind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam...)
    Sleep with the admissions tutor :yep:
    Aww. Come on. Be serious.

Get super-grades, OP. Super grades.

ReputationRep:
    Do well in your first year of (I'm guessing IB). Then read around on your subject lots, good Personal Statement and good Reference and don't get flustered at your interview and you should be ok.

ReputationRep:
    take the m11 if you're coming from south, or A1 through peterborough if you're from the north.

ReputationRep:
    One thing I would say is that it's brilliant that you have a goal in mind - and languages = yay!

I would ask yourself, why is it that you want to go to Cambridge? Fair enough it's a name - but that's all it is, a NAME. Some people are arrogant and think they are better than any other university graduate simply because they went to Oxbridge, and it's simply not true. But that's just my two-pennies worth =]

I would say that the best thing you can do to get in is to make yourself sound brilliant - all that volunteering work is great, you just need to "sell" it. Grades = brilliant. Past grades... Competitions that you have entered through school... How much of an asset you'll be compared to other people... and always always always get the best grades you can in exams. If you can do all that, then you'll be really in good stead ^^

But again back to the whole name thing - it's just a university. I never wanted to go to Oxbridge because of how pretentious it sounds. The rate your grades and volunteering are going, I'd be surprised if all the unis you apply to don't offer you a place

ReputationRep:
    I hear there's a hole in one of the fences near the backs at King's college. If you go at precisely 11.12pm, the security guards will be switching over, giving you exactly six minutes to get in. Once through the fence, you'll have to scale a nine feet high wall, I suggest taking a ladder with you. After that, one of the latches on the windows might be undone, but you will probably have to murder or at least sedate whoever you run into on the other side. After that, it should be plain sailing.

Good luck comrade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monpetitchou)
    Hello all

Basically, make yourself seem as good at and as interested in French as possible (dunno if you could do that with Italian cos you haven't studied it)

Read French books, read French newspapers, watch French films etc

(Bearing in mind, they won't care much about your volunteering and other extracurriculars, but other universities will.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronaldo91)
    take the m11 if you're coming from south, or A1 through peterborough if you're from the north.

LMAO!!

ReputationRep:
    Show you have an interest for your subject. Study hard. Do your best. If you're good enough, you'll get in.

ReputationRep:
    Remember that it's not just about getting an A, aim for 100% UMS at AS level (maybe too late for that advise if your L6, which I guess you are).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    I never wanted to go to Oxbridge because of how pretentious it sounds.
    Isn't that just as bad as going to a university purely for its reputation? If you'd done some research you might have found that Oxford or Cambridge would have been right for you. Your post sounds very hypocritical..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    One thing I would say is that it's brilliant that you have a goal in mind - and languages = yay!

I would ask yourself, why is it that you want to go to Cambridge? Fair enough it's a name - but that's all it is, a NAME. Some people are arrogant and think they are better than any other university graduate simply because they went to Oxbridge, and it's simply not true. But that's just my two-pennies worth =]

I would say that the best thing you can do to get in is to make yourself sound brilliant - all that volunteering work is great, you just need to "sell" it. Grades = brilliant. Past grades... Competitions that you have entered through school... How much of an asset you'll be compared to other people... and always always always get the best grades you can in exams. If you can do all that, then you'll be really in good stead ^^

But again back to the whole name thing - it's just a university. I never wanted to go to Oxbridge because of how pretentious it sounds. The rate your grades and volunteering are going, I'd be surprised if all the unis you apply to don't offer you a place
    Thank you, you've been a great help. You've really put things in perspective for me.
    Thank you again
    =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Draconis)
    Isn't that just as bad as going to a university purely for its reputation? If you'd done some research you might have found that Oxford or Cambridge would have been right for you. Your post sounds very hypocritical..

No no, I chose my uni because of the location - and because it was one of two that were a) not too far away and b) that offered the combination of subjects I chose =]

And who said I never did research on Oxbridge? What I meant by "I never wanted to go to Oxbridge..." was that I never wanted to go there over any other uni that could offer me my course, i.e. I didn't sit there and think "I want to go to such-and-such a uni" as an ambition.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, you've been a great help. You've really put things in perspective for me.
    Thank you again
    =]

No probleymo Depending on how many years you have left, there's always the possibility of doing more to "beef up" your profile - more volunteering, especially something related to languages.

One thing I did over the summer before I go to uni to do languages was helping out at my college teaching French to younger students, as a sort of bridging the gap thing. If there's anything like that you could do, that'd look amazing =]

ReputationRep:
    I also volunteer and I have lots of interests and hobbies which show that I'm a well rounded person.
    The admissions tutors are looking for people who will do well on their course; not somebody who trekked across the Himalayas while juggling to raise money for the NSPCC.

ReputationRep:
    No, but they don't just want somone who is academic and who does nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    No probleymo Depending on how many years you have left, there's always the possibility of doing more to "beef up" your profile - more volunteering, especially something related to languages.

One thing I did over the summer before I go to uni to do languages was helping out at my college teaching French to younger students, as a sort of bridging the gap thing. If there's anything like that you could do, that'd look amazing =]

Yeah, I'd really like to do that. Well, saying that, I do detest children, but I mean, the experience would look fantastic on my CV.
    Thanks again!
    =]

ReputationRep:
    No, but they don't just want somone who is academic and who does nothing else.
    They won't really care.

You want to get in?

As I've already said, be very very good at french. Read French literature, watch French films. read the French newspaper. and have opinions on them. They'll care far more about that than volunteer work.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.