Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I don't doubt that they'd want a student who actually cares about their chosen subject and who is fantastic, but if they had two students who were both equally as good, and one of them did volunteer work, they'd choose the one who did the volunteering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monpetitchou)
    Yes, I don't doubt that they'd want a student who actually cares about their chosen subject and who is fantastic, but if they had two students who were both equally as good, and one of them did volunteer work, they'd choose the one who did the volunteering.
    Often they just give them both hard offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronaldo91)
    take the m11 if you're coming from south, or A1 through peterborough if you're from the north.

HAHAHAHA, that's funny.

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK Cambridge don't give a **** about extra-curriculars such as the Duke of Edinburgh Award or volunteer work. Don't waste time on pointless activities when you can be devoting that time to getting top grades instead. I don't think you should lose sight of the fact that excellent grades + excellent personal statement + excellent interview = offer.

ReputationRep:
    The course at Cambridge (as far as I'm aware) is based on the language and literature but also the history, philosophy, art and film related to a language. Reading literature is always a good start, try some in translation but ideally read something or other in the original language (for French). If philosophy, history, art or film interest you, look into them. Reading up on Italian history or French philosophy for example would be very useful. Otherwise reading foreign newspapers, listening to foreign radio, watching foreign news etc. all show your commitment to the subject.

Edit - Also, gather your opinions on what you've read or seen, just being able to list what you've read or watched is pointless otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    One of my life long ambitions and dreams is to study at Cambridge university. I want to study French as my previously studied language, and Italian as my new language. How can I make sure that they choose me over another candidate? I'm getting the grades I need, but that isn't always enough. I also volunteer and I have lots of interests and hobbies which show that I'm a well rounded person.

Is there anyone currently studying MML at Cambridge who could give me tips and advice on how to guarantee myself a place?

Thank you.
    You would have been better posting in the Cambridge forum. Make sure to get as high a grades as possible, and very high UMS marks for your AS levels. Having outside hobbies are definitly a plus, but for languages you are going to need to be able to speak profficiently at interview in your chosen language, and it can range from anything.

Also start reading some French books, and analyse them like you would in an english literature class. These books can be put on your PS. Thats what my friend did and he has an offer for MML this year.

Lastly, don't stress to much, you are just about to start the A level course and its over a year away before you will be applying

ReputationRep:
    take the m11 if you're coming from south, or A1 through peterborough if you're from the north.

lmfao that cracked me up, you're getting some rep

back to the thread, just do as much stuff as you can fit in really, lots of volunteering, do some work experience somewhere relevant like a french company or something or you could be an au pair in france to get more fluent at the language? oh and don't forget, SUPER SUPER GRADES!

ReputationRep:
    do loads and loads of extra curricular activities, as it can be the difference between getting in and not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    They won't really care.

You want to get in?
    Actually they do care. Cambridge want to see that you can get top grades without having to completely devote your life to studying. Extra-curricular activites show that you have time to spare and believe me you will need it. School is a doddle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chipchop92)
    do loads and loads of extra curricular activities, as it can be the difference between getting in and not
    Not true, concentrate on your studies, and do extra cirrics related to MML, like debating in your chosen language or essay writting in your chosen language.

Otherwise all Cambridge care about is good academics and a good interview.

ReputationRep:
    Lmao, very clever.

& OP nothing can guarantee you a place...

ReputationRep:
    Bribery. [/truth]

ReputationRep:
    Turn up to your interview in a beret, a stripy top, smoking, holding a baguette in your hand. If that doesn't demonstrate your passion for French culture I don't know what will.

ReputationRep:
    I got in and...

my extra-curricular was lacking.
    my interview didn't go exceptionally.
    all my module grades were >95%.

only do extra if it doesn't hamper you performance in public examinations. If theres a choice between am amazing EC opportunity and revision, choose the latter.

ReputationRep:

funny funny.

ReputationRep:
    its not who you know. its who you blow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    Turn up to your interview in a beret, a stripy top, smoking, holding a baguette in your hand. If that doesn't demonstrate your passion for French culture I don't know what will.
    Don't be so racist. I am actually French, so I find that extremely offensive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy princess)
    Actually they do care. Cambridge want to see that you can get top grades without having to completely devote your life to studying. Extra-curricular activites show that you have time to spare and believe me you will need it. School is a doddle.
    I said they won't "really" care. Of course you should still do extracurricular stuff, everyone does. But to try to maximise your chances of getting in, rather than doing even MORE extracurricular stuff, you'd be better off doing stuff related to your subject. I'm not suggesting she does NO ECs at all.

If she wants to give herself better chances, she should read some French literature etc. Everyone does extracurricular stuff, and it's about standing out beyond that.

ReputationRep:
    This is such a misnomer, despite always being doled out. No two candidates are ever identical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    AFAIK Cambridge don't give a **** about extra-curriculars such as the Duke of Edinburgh Award or volunteer work. Don't waste time on pointless activities when you can be devoting that time to getting top grades instead. I don't think you should lose sight of the fact that excellent grades + excellent personal statement + excellent interview = offer.
    This. With slightly less emphasis on the PS

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.