Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I guess if I was interviewing you I'd want to know that you are comitted to the law. Is yours a case of really wanting to become a banker but since things have gone bad you are now settling for second best as a city solicitor? I think some firms might wonder about how much you really want it.

ReputationRep:
    Firms welcome people from many different academic backgrounds. I think some work experience is in order.

I appear to have found myself in academics post-law degree so I'm afraid I have little advice other than to gain some experience as all the magic circle firms I have liaised with have valued experience above most assets.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely try and get a Xmas Vacation Scheme. Don't be fooled - VS can be very competitive. Make a LOT of applications to appropriate firms: in the region of 15 is advisable. However, remember that quality trumps quantity - make sure you research the particular firm so that you can say something unique about it so that it doesn't look like a copy-paste job. I'd advise you to apply to the firms you really want to apply to last (but still at least two weeks before that firm's deadline), as writing good applications is a acquired skill perfected by practice.

Obviously, you'll need to do a lot more research before deciding on law. Sites like www.lawcareers.net should help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    So I've been reflecting on my career options, since I'm becoming a little disillusioned with the idea of working in Banking (much of my endeavours and experience are Banking-related), I have decided that I think a career in Law is something that will suit me more in terms of the nature of the work and my personality.

Here's my background:

Education
    Masters in Finance at the University of Durham 2009-2010 (starting this summer).

University of Durham - BA (Honours), Combined Honours in Economics, German and English Literature - 2i achieved (64 overall, very poor 2nd year result, and very strong third year result to pull it up to a 2i overall).

AAB in A Levels

Work Experience
    Summer 09 - Internship in Voice Broking at the world's largest stockbrokers
    Summer 08 - Internship in Foreign Exchange and Money Markets at Barclays Capital
    Spring 07 - Easter Vacation Scheme with UBS
    As well as various part time jobs/sports/societies since the age of 16 and throughout my degree

What I really want to know, is whether in these hard times I have what it takes to break into a career with a Magic/Silver Circle Law firm? I'm aware that at present my CV shows a lack of Law related achievements, but I'm hoping to make ammense for this with a Christmas Vacation Scheme maybe?

What should be my course of action this year?

Thank you very much in advance - I will of course rep any particularly helpful posts!

The posts above are spot-on.

The real challenge for you is going to be satisfying potential employers that you want to be, and have the skills to be, a City lawyer. Your CV to date screams banking.

You say that you now think that law would be better for you in terms of the work and your personality. In what way? You will be applying for vac schemes at the same time as doing a Masters in Finance so you're going to have be seriously convincing when you explain what it is about the law which has suddenly interested you.

What sort of extra-currics do you have which show positions of responsibility, team-working, use of initiative etc? Those will be crucial to your application.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help guys - the consensus seems to be that I'd have to work hard to convince firms that I'm not just seeking law as a "backup" to banking.

In terms of the fact that I'm doing a Masters in Finance, surely that will just add to my CV if I'm applying for Corporate Law? I'm doing several modules in Corporate Finance/M&A related stuff, so I'd have hoped that would clue me up on the industry and give me some good talking points.

To Chalks, I have plenty of extra curriculars which I'd be happy to talk about in an interview - I'm pretty prepped on interview and application processes, so am not worried there.

What I really wanted to know is whether my academic background is adequate for a law career, since I know how much they value academics? Also, don't forget that while a lot of my work experience is made up of finance related stuff, 2/3 of my undergrad degree was English Lit/German - surely I could spin this in an interview in my favour?

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Your academics shouldn't be a problem. People get into Magic and Silver Circle firms with less than you have. Depending on just how bad your second year was, you should prepare yourself to be grilled on why you did so badly, although the fact that you have banking internships suggests that you have some good answers for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Thanks for the help guys - the consensus seems to be that I'd have to work hard to convince firms that I'm not just seeking law as a "backup" to banking.

In terms of the fact that I'm doing a Masters in Finance, surely that will just add to my CV if I'm applying for Corporate Law? I'm doing several modules in Corporate Finance/M&A related stuff, so I'd have hoped that would clue me up on the industry and give me some good talking points.

To Chalks, I have plenty of extra curriculars which I'd be happy to talk about in an interview - I'm pretty prepped on interview and application processes, so am not worried there.

What I really wanted to know is whether my academic background is adequate for a law career, since I know how much they value academics? Also, don't forget that while a lot of my work experience is made up of finance related stuff, 2/3 of my undergrad degree was English Lit/German - surely I could spin this in an interview in my favour?

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it.
    I wouldn't be concerned by the academics. You have a 2:i from an excellent university in recognised subjects. Some interviewers may drill into the detail of the 2nd year results but, generally, most will be satisfied by the overall result.

The Bar tends to be more focussed on pure academic achievements than law firms. If you're able to demonstrate all the lawyer-related skils you need, by reference to extra-currics/positions of responsibility, then you should have a good chance.

As discussed, the "why law" question is going to be the hard one in the current market. I don't think you answered my question about why you think the law would better suit your personality etc? I'm not being critical - you look like a strong candidate on paper if you're able to explain the apparent shift from banking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chalks)
    I wouldn't be concerned by the academics. You have a 2:i from an excellent university in recognised subjects. Some interviewers may drill into the detail of the 2nd year results but, generally, most will be satisfied by the overall result.

The Bar tends to be more focussed on pure academic achievements than law firms. If you're able to demonstrate all the lawyer-related skils you need, by reference to extra-currics/positions of responsibility, then you should have a good chance.

As discussed, the "why law" question is going to be the hard one in the current market. I don't think you answered my question about why you think the law would better suit your personality etc? I'm not being critical - you look like a strong candidate on paper if you're able to explain the apparent shift from banking.
    Sorry, I skimmed over your original question of why I think I'd be good - basically amongst many other things, I think I'm great at dealing with/talking to people, meticulous, organised and very good in terms of my powers of persuasion and my ability to hold my ground in a debate...just to name a few of my abilities :p: (I feel like I'm being interviewed in this thread!).

Anyway, it's just a thought anyway, I can't really do anything Law career-wise until October when Xmas schemes open up. If I get an offer of a grad job where I'm currently interning I'd be mad to turn it down with no other offers - particularly in this climate. So we'll see how things pan out. Stand by for more potential posts from me in the Legal Careers subforum :redface:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.