Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

bad first year results, am I ever going to get a training contract Watch

ReputationRep:
    So basically, in my first year I have four modules. One of the exams I haven't taken yet because I was in hospital when it was supposed to be, so am doing it in August. I am thinking it was a bit of a mistake taking the rest of them when I was still ill as I have done much worse than I know I am capable of, have got high 2.2s in all of them (55, 57, 58).

I am working very hard for my exam that is left and am hoping for a high enough mark to pull up the average between them to a 2.1. But obviously I'll still have those results which aren't that good I want to apply for vacation schemes next year, am I absolutely screwed with no chance? Bear in mind that there's every chance my exam won't be quite good enough to pull the average up to a 2.1 - it's the hardest one

ReputationRep:
    Its very hard to say, but if you make clear that there were significant mitigating circumstances - there is usually a space for this on application forms, if not put it on your covering letter - then you should be in for a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Is it going to be harder than if you had firsts? Yes. Is it going to destroy your chances? No.

It just means that you will need to demonstrate ability/skill/commitment through extracurriculars. Also, you don't have to submit TC apps until after you get your second year grades, so make sure to work hard for those. Showing an improvement is always going to be good.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't let it get to you too much, although most firms want to see 2.1's, but as someone above said, there is almost always space for mitigating circumstances which they will take into consideration.

Just focus on getting high grades next year, you will be fine!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    i thought first year doesnt matter? only second and third???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mario88)
    i thought first year doesnt matter? only second and third???
    People say this because often the first year doesn't count to the final result - but this depends on the uni. It had equal weight with the second and third years at my uni.

However, it is untrue if you want to become a lawyer. Even if the first year doesn't count towards your final degree, first year results are very important when you try to get vacation schemes or mini pupillages as these are often the only uni results firms have to go on. Getting these vacation schemes is in turn important when you try to secure a TC.

ReputationRep:
    This thread depresses me with my 58% average.
    Did anyone get training contracts with that type of first year results and 2 weeks work experience with a firm this summer?

ReputationRep:
    I had a borderline 2:2/2:1 average (2:2 if you didn't use the percentages to calculate the average, 2:1 if you did).

This summer I had 3 very competitive vac scheme placements, 3 mini pupillages, and I now already have one invite to final interview for a training contract. So far, it doesn't seem that my grades have massively held me back. (Although I did have a swift and efficient rejection from Shearman & Sterling)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelesMeles)
    I had a borderline 2:2/2:1 average (2:2 if you didn't use the percentages to calculate the average, 2:1 if you did).

This summer I had 3 very competitive vac scheme placements, 3 mini pupillages, and I now already have one invite to final interview for a training contract. So far, it doesn't seem that my grades have massively held me back. (Although I did have a swift and efficient rejection from Shearman & Sterling)
    You should regard this as a positive...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelesMeles)
    (Although I did have a swift and efficient rejection from Shearman & Sterling)
    High five!

ReputationRep:
    heh, thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it. 2.2s aren't all that bad. Just make sure you try a LOT harder next year and when you apply for vacation work include in your covering letter that you were ill during your exam period and feel you were capable of higher grades.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.