Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I obsessive or is it my neighbor at fault? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'l admit that Im quite obsessive and fussy about things that would not bother many people but I don't know if the fault is with me or my neighbor who moved in a year ago. My bedroom overlooks his garden and Ive already politely complained to him about windchimes being annoying all night (he took them down) and something banging in his garage at night (he screwed lots of shelves and stuff on our outer wall he's not supposed to but I don't mind that).

Lately though we have had new lamp posts put in the street and my neighbor has followed the workmen round and has some how persuaded them to give him the 2 solar lights from our street as they were taking them down to replace them with new ones. He has already bragged to the neighbours about them and somehow made plastic drain pipes to serve as lampposts for them.

I thought it was funny at first but cause they are solar powered they have been on all night and the glow that goes into my room is so annoying even with the blind down. Im one of those stupid ppl who loves the night sky and moonlight going into there bedroom lol, as opposed to artifical light.

I do have a life but I get really obsessive and annoyed at little things like this but I can't really tell him as Ive complained about all the other stuff it sounds well if I keep going across complaining about stuff.

Ive not much else to do today so I took a pic lol from my bedroom window (would it bother you?) but yea is it me who needs to stop being so spoilt and put up with stuff my neighbor does or is he at fault. As far as I know neighbors are allowed lights in there garden.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if it'd bother me until it happened to be honest :p:

Two options:
    • Get thicker curtains/those black out blind things.
    • Politely ask him to move them somewhere else in his garden?

ReputationRep:
    They do look pretty big to be honest, so I assume they give off quite a bit of light. I"d just get thicker blinds, you can get "Blackout" blinds that make the room totally dark. Apparently they work very well.

ReputationRep:
    thats quite unfortunate for you. Just don't complain too much though...
    Try to have thicker curtains...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    I don't know if it'd bother me until it happened to be honest :p:

Two options:
    • Get thicker curtains/those black out blind things.
    • Politely ask him to move them somewhere else in his garden?
    His garden is not that big they would still shine in lol, he has put them near his bedroom window but the light from it goes on my ceiling etc meh why can't he just have a motion/security light. I have a black out blind which Ive been using (light still gets through at the sides) but I like fresh air and just natural moonlight then morning light waking me up. I know I sound really fussy maybe I am obsessive but it severely annoys me lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifeonpluto)
    His garden is not that big they would still shine in lol, he has put them near his bedroom window but the light from it goes on my ceiling etc meh why can't he just have a motion/security light. I have a black out blind which Ive been using (light still gets through at the sides) but I like fresh air and just natural moonlight then morning light waking me up. I know I sound really fussy maybe I am obsessive but it severely annoys me lol.
    I'm the same. It's not obsessive... it's more like you've got something you like and don't want to give it up. I seldom have my Window closed, even in winter, and like a bit of light in the morning too. I'd hate it if a street lamp shone through it though.

Is there not a way to just turn them off if he's not using them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I'm the same. It's not obsessive... it's more like you've got something you like and don't want to give it up. I seldom have my Window closed, even in winter, and like a bit of light in the morning too. I'd hate it if a street lamp shone through it though.

Is there not a way to just turn them off if he's not using them?
    I doubt it I think he's plugged them into his garage somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifeonpluto)
    I doubt it I think he's plugged them into his garage somewhere.
    Get him to turn them off at night then. Maybe suggest he put them on a timer socket. Seems pointless having lights on if he's not using them.

That, or, ya know, throw a rock at them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.