Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've started doing the 100 press-up thing recently, and have decided to try and do the 200 sit-ups and 200 squat training programmes at the same time, but I was just wandering if its wise/doable?
    Cos by doing them all, it'll improve the body parts that I want to improve, but will it be too much for my body? It doesn't so far, but I'm only on the first week, so I don't know how it'll be further down the line?

I dunno, what do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    It will develop very little strength and/or muscle size, the emphasis of the training is on endurance, there's nothing to worry about but there are better ways of spending your time (ie; HIIT, weight training, etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    It will develop very little strength and/or muscle size, the emphasis of the training is on endurance, there's nothing to worry about but there are better ways of spending your time (ie; HIIT, weight training, etc).
    All I really want it for is toning though.. So do you think it's okay for that? Or are there still better ways of toning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhii)
    All I really want it for is toning though.. So do you think it's okay for that? Or are there still better ways of toning?
    First you need to understand what 'toning' is. Toning is a mixture of losing fat and/or building muscle. What's the best way of achieving that? A good diet and some decent exercise (weights and HIIT should be high on your list, not 1000s of pushups, situps, bodyweight squats, etc).

ReputationRep:
    a great way of putting on muscle that's funner than the gym, at least for me, is bouldering (climbing but not very high, just managing to get up the wall using puzzles, strength in the core, the tendents, and the upper body in general).

You don't need a harness, and there are crash pads below you. If you can get to a climbing wall, it could be a nice way to start building muscle (mainly as strength).

ReputationRep:
    oh okay lol xD
    Looks like I've been going totally the wrong way about it all then :P
    Anyone got any ideas for cheap ways of exercising then? Cos I'm skint

ReputationRep:
    then get a job...

ReputationRep:
    is that everyday?

bodyweight squats are good, wouldn't say not do them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ouijaouija)
    is that everyday?

bodyweight squats are good, wouldn't say not do them
    Like I said, there are much better ways to spend your time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhii)
    oh okay lol xD
    Looks like I've been going totally the wrong way about it all then :P
    Anyone got any ideas for cheap ways of exercising then? Cos I'm skint
    1. Buy the book Infinite Intensity by Ross Enamait
    2. Buy a pair of adjustable dumbbells
    3. Buy a chin-up bar
    4. Success!

Adjustable dumbbells and a chin-up bar are cheap. Those, combined with a good book, will allow you to get a decent all-over workout.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.