Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When people say they're 'getting engaged' Watch

ReputationRep:
    Or say they know when they're getting engaged, or are going to get engaged. What does that mean? Obviously that they're going to get married but surely if you plan to get engaged, you plan to marry each other so you're already engaged?

I don't think I've explained that very well, sorry... But I've seen a few people in H+R saying those things and I just don't really understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by New...Romantic)
    Or say they know when they're getting engaged, or are going to get engaged. What does that mean? Obviously that they're going to get married but surely if you plan to get engaged, you plan to marry each other so you're already engaged?

I don't think I've explained that very well, sorry... But I've seen a few people in H+R saying those things and I just don't really understand.
    Haha, yes you're right :tongue:

I think some feel they are too young to get engaged yet, or count it as official once an engagement ring has been bought... So I suppose they plan to make it official once circumstances are right.

I agree with you though, it's stupid. Especially when these people are usually between the ages of 15-19 and have been going out for about a year :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    hm.. maybe an engagement ring makes it official?? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Amonst teenagers, "engaged" is often just a holier-than-thou label that people use to make their relationships seem more important than other people's.

ReputationRep:
    I understand, but i have no explination
    I don't see the point of engagement, is that what you're saying? :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's like making an announcement about making an announcement about holding an event. lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh... I know a girl like this. I think it's more getting engaged is a big mental step that they're not ready for.

ReputationRep:
    I think the point is that people would love to be engaged, but the type of people who get engaged between the ages of 16 and 20 are usually complete **** heads who just break up about a month afterwards, so who would want to be grouped with those people?

ReputationRep:
    It's an insecure way of trying to prove to eachother that you'll stay together because it's 'official' and it's also a way of letting other people know you're in a serious relationship, again probably an insecure thing. Engagements should be short, just a few months until they can get the wedding in. Any longer than that and you're trying to prove something, if the relationship's strong then you won't need an early engagement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    At least most people seem to agree with me. Seems daft.

That's not directed at you Elipsis, I just quoted cos your sig made me laugh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by New...Romantic)
    At least most people seem to agree with me. Seems daft.

That's not directed at you Elipsis, I just quoted cos your sig made me laugh
    lol thank you.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends is like this. She's been engaged 3 times now (she's 21). She gets engaged after 4-5 months of dating, and ~6 months after getting engaged, its over.

ReputationRep:
    For us, getting engaged means being at a stage in life at which it's logistically and financially viable to start planning a wedding. We've known we're going to get married for ages now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ygraine)
    For us, getting engaged means being at a stage in life at which it's logistically and financially viable to start planning a wedding. We've known we're going to get married for ages now.
    Your situation's slightly different though, that's more knowing you're going to get married than get engaged. Bleh I'm not making a lot of sense today.

I do know what you're saying though, and obviously it's different when you're LD. But most of the people who say these things do seem to fit into the category of 16-19, not been going out very long. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm in that category. I just don't see what's wrong with 'going out' for a while.

ReputationRep:
    What does it matter whether people get engaged or not...
    My best mate is 21 and got engaged like 2 months ago to his gf whos 19.
    They are getting married next month, and are prob gonna buy a house together at the end of the year.

It seems to be working fine for them...

Just because some 16-20 year olds cba with commitment, some can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw!stEd)
    What does it matter whether people get engaged or not...
    My best mate is 21 and got engaged like 2 months ago to his gf whos 19.
    They are getting married next month, and are prob gonna buy a house together at the end of the year.

It seems to be working fine for them...

Just because some 16-20 year olds cba with commitment, some can.
    That's not what I'm saying. Your friends are engaged, that's fair enough. If your friend and his fiancee had turned round and said 'oh we're going to get engaged at Christmas' for example, that's what I mean. It seems silly to me.

I've nothing against young couples, my boyfriend's mum was 18 when she got engaged to his dad. That's worked out fine. I'd even consider getting married young, if I'd been with my bf longer and it was the right thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    me and my boyfriend are going to get engaged, i guess you could say we already are as we plan to marry, but it will be "official" when he's got the money to get me the ring i think its a generalisation to say that if you're young it won't last, my own parents were together at 16 and are going strong 30yrs later!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.