Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    god that was so selfish.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=970023
    I believe it's the same thread....

Still what a selfish *****!

ReputationRep:
    It is not all bad, both the children and mother will be trying to learn to walk, together.

ReputationRep:
    You people say it is selfish, but the children are born, would you rather be born without a mother or not born at all? Thousands of women die giving birth each year.

ReputationRep:
    That's incredibly sad for her kids, but I think her desision to have children at almost 70 was incredibly irresponsible. While it's true that with all the children brought into the world unwanted, at least she did care deeply about hers, but she must have known there was every chance she wouldn't see them reach double figures in age, and how incredibly hard it must be for 2 year-olds to lose their mother. That she felt she had to lie about her age to receive IVF treatment says a lot too. :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    You people say it is selfish, but the children are born, would you rather be born without a mother or not born at all? Thousands of women die giving birth each year.

exactly whats going through my mind, either way it's sad, its always sad when a child looses a parent at a young age, regardless of how old the parent is.

Did the woman have children already?

ReputationRep:
    I just hope that something good can come out of this in the way of putting off other older women from having children so late. Unfortuantly I don't think it will and there will still be motherless children due to age.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't count. Before conception there's no consious so you can't compare before and after. You are born, and that is who you are. You cant just not be born, because there'd be no "you" to refer to.

ReputationRep:
    That is sad I do think the menopause happens for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    It's sad. But I don't understand some people's logic.

Everyone's parents are going to die one day so aren't they all 'selfish' for having us then?
    I understand that in this case it's sooner than average but I don't personally think that makes it any worse than if my parent dies when I'm 35.

Just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    That is a bizzare argument. It makes the menopause a genocide of zillions of theoretical people. The woman and doctors involved chose to use fertility methods designed for childless couples to overcome a part of the aging process.

I don't have a problem with using science to change bits of nature we don't like, if you follow that argument to its end that cancer and heart disease are, in the fine words of Chandler Bing, just nature's way of telling you to die. But, as with any treatment in medicine, you have to consider the probable practical outcomes of what you are doing and how much harm that may cause.

ReputationRep:
    would you rather be alive without a Mother or not alive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AEH)
    That is a bizzare argument. It makes the menopause a genocide of zillions of theoretical people. The woman and doctors involved chose to use fertility methods designed for childless couples to overcome a part of the aging process.

I don't have a problem with using science to change bits of nature we don't like, if you follow that argument to its end that cancer and heart disease are, in the fine words of Chandler Bing, just nature's way of telling you to die. But, as with any treatment in medicine, you have to consider the probable practical outcomes of what you are doing and how much harm that may cause.
    She lied to the doctors though, i dont think she thought it through, and sounded likes she was rather idealistic and not counselled appropiately on the decision she made

ReputationRep:
    Selfish as. There are enough children without parents in the world without her knowingly adding to the problem. How is it fair on the family either? Not only will the twins not remember their mother but someone else will have to bring them up because the biological mother didn't think about the consequences of her actions? I mean, what if these family members don't want to raise them? What about finances? What if the children end up in care?

Like I said, selfish as. Even if she wasn't planning on dying that soon, she knew her children would never heave a normal upbringing... I mean they'd be looking after her at the age of around 14 instead of the other way round!

ReputationRep:
    Poor kids

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, she was diagnosed with Cancer shortly after giving birth - I know peoplewhose parents died of Cancer or Cardiac Arrest when they were still toddlers, and their parents were in their late 20's, so I can't see that the age is much of an issue in this case - could have happened even if she was much younger.

Is it only me who found the title "worlds oldest mother" to be misleading. I mean there are older mothers than her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beige_Angel)
    Selfish as. There are enough children without parents in the world without her knowingly adding to the problem. How is it fair on the family either? Not only will the twins not remember their mother but someone else will have to bring them up because the biological mother didn't think about the consequences of her actions? I mean, what if these family members don't want to raise them? What about finances? What if the children end up in care?

Like I said, selfish as. Even if she wasn't planning on dying that soon, she knew her children would never heave a normal upbringing... I mean they'd be looking after her at the age of around 14 instead of the other way round!
    Exactly!
    especially the bold bit.

Why have a child when you know you won't be able to withstand the physical demands [running around, waking up at odd hours etc like someone said before] you need to be able to look after them not just give them life. And it is unfair on relatives. Twins can be a right hassle!

ReputationRep:
    To be fair she died of cancer not natural causes. So, it hasn't proven why mother shouldn't have children at that age, it is just tragic.

BTW. I personally wouldn't want children that age.

ReputationRep:
    You guys realise older people get more and more aggressive cancer don't you? It absolutely does validate concerns about the welfare of children born via IVF to older mothers, they are simply less likely to survive their childhood or to become too disabled to parent well. Its by no means absolute and there's plenty of eighty year-olds who are fitter than a good number of sixty year-olds, but you have to play to the odds, not the anecdote. Is that the whole argument? No. But it is a big deal and I don't know how I feel about it.

As far as what you say Subcutaneous, I have no idea how the conversation went with her doctor, so I couldn't really comment. Could be she fooled him, could be she lied and it was convenient for him to forget about it. Part of me finds it difficult to believe he couldn't catch her out on something, but I may be completely wrong. What isn't flexible is that doctors are responsible for the decisions they take and, in this case, the babies they produce. There is still a degree of responsibility, no matter if it is by degree, on his or her head.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.