Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There are mixed views on what we should be taking to university (halls of residence) but which should we listen to?

should i take my 32" plasma TV or will it get destroyed?
    should i take my own pots/pans or will they have GOOD ones there?

also knives/forks/toaster/kettle

or should i just slum it and survive on bare essentials?

ReputationRep:
    Generally, there won't be any of that stuff there. Take your own cookware, not only so you can eat, but for hygienic reasons too.
    As for your TV, that's up to you. Do you think you can keep the room securely locked at all time that you aren't in?

ReputationRep:
    Dont take the TV, wait until you move into a house with flat mates next year... Maybe take some pots and pans in the car with you but if other people have them then just let your parents or whom ever brought you take them back. I dont think they're provided at most places, but you dont want everyone bringing a toaster, lol...

Unless you like bread ofcourse

ReputationRep:
    There weren't ANY cooking utensils when I went to uni. I had to buy everything for myself.
    A 32" plasma is a ridiculous idea at uni. There's just no need for it - why would you spend time watching tv in your room when you could be out partying like a loon?!

You'll need knives, forks - all that. Unless you're in catered halls and you probably won't need anything.

ReputationRep:
    I'd take the tele.

Curiously, why plasma at 32"? Was it much better than the LCDs of the same size?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I'd take the tele.

Curiously, why plasma at 32"? Was it much better than the LCDs of the same size?
    Well I bought it about 2 years ago but im thinkin i should take it for those DVD's and console games. So u at uni now or going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrselfdestruct)
    Well I bought it about 2 years ago but im thinkin i should take it for those DVD's and console games. So u at uni now or going?
    Never went, don't plan on going.

I just wouldn't go without my plasma tele unless there really was no way for me to take it!

ReputationRep:
    well you can see how i assumed you were a student considering its a student forum lol

ReputationRep:
    Take your own pots and pans and keep them in your room until you know your roommates aren't the type who use your stuff and don't wash it.

Taking a TV should be alright. The only thing I see happening is that it can get stolen, my mate brought his plasma TV and nothing happened but then again, he four floors up and had decent people to live with.

ReputationRep:
    well i will probably be ground floor. should be quite safe i guess, I'm just glad i have ensuite, at least my bathroom stuff will be safe

ReputationRep:
    Thanx anyway guys..... toodles for now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrselfdestruct)
    well you can see how i assumed you were a student considering its a student forum lol
    It happens! :p:

ReputationRep:
    It won't get broken. Plenty of people had nice TVs in my halls and the TVs survived. There isn't any point in having it if you just leave it at home.

ReputationRep:
    I have a 32 inch tv that i plan to bring to uni for my xbox and dvds (Y)

Im gonna bring a smaller one in the car on the way up too in case it doesnt fit in my room though!

ReputationRep:
    im bringing my 26inch and nothing else, it has a built in tuner etc. It seems stupid to have to go and buy a smaller one. Im not bringing my xbox or anything else. As soon as you bring an xbox you will be making excuses not to go out

ReputationRep:
    dont take anything you are not prepared to have any damage done to as generally halls are not the safest places

ReputationRep:
    yeah im bringing my 26 inch for my xbox and dvds, as well as laptop to hook up, idon't see the why not sure it could get robbed but just make sure your room is always locked and its insured, but i wouldn't worry if it weren't

ReputationRep:
    Take decent saucepans with you. Don't skimp on the basic ranges because you end up burning the arse of them and scraping the "non-stick" coating on them. And then they rust.

I'd also advise not to bring too much crap/clothes etc with you, because there's just not enough space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve1991)
    im bringing my 26inch and nothing else, it has a built in tuner etc. It seems stupid to have to go and buy a smaller one. Im not bringing my xbox or anything else. As soon as you bring an xbox you will be making excuses not to go out
    If you are bringing it to watch TV, be sure to look into the TV licence fees, You might need to get one,

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to do a list of everything I need...bedding writing stuff etc, then do a list of what I'd like. And what ever from the 'like' list doesn't fit in my room I'm going to get the 'rents to take back home with them! Haha, but I am taking all the kitchen stuff. I mean, I know in the flat we're probably going to end up with 6 kettles, 6 toasters etc, but if that's the case I'll just hold on to my stuff, and then in the second year when I've gotta find my own place I'll already have a kettle and a toaster at least!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.