Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question about retainers Watch

ReputationRep:
    My braces were removed approximately a year ago and I have been wearing retainers since then. For the first 6 months I wore them all day (except when eating) and for the next 6 months I was told to wear them only in the night, which I did. I just went to the orthodontist today who told me to continue what I am doing for the next 6 months and then wear them say once a week for the 6 months after that, and then they can be discarded next summer. He also said that he doesn't need to see me again. So is all this retainer usage necessary for the next year? I feel like they aren't doing anything and don't feel like wearing them for another year.

ReputationRep:
    i think it depends a lot on how radical the change has been( like if you had teeth literally at right angles to each other in your mouth) and also it can depend on the person.

My dentist said I had to wear them every night for a year, then it was up to me if I wore them any longer but he said there's more chance they wont move back if I wear them longer but they often move a little bit regardless as a retainer isn't as tight as braces.

I wore them nightly for the first 6 months then I lost them for a while...:o: , now I only do it occasionally and it's a bugger to get them on. My teeth have probably moved a bit but it's not obvious to me and there a hell of a lot better then they were before I had braces. But again it does depend on the person, someone at my secondary school got theirs taken off in Yr 11 and never wore the retainer. Their teeth moved almost right back to how they were during that year and that's quite a lot of movement, she didn't feel it or anything but then realised they looked like they did before the braces, now she has to wear them again...ouch.

ReputationRep:
    I woke up one morning with the top half missing. Bad times

ReputationRep:
    i went through 3 retainers haha. i know 1 got flushed down the toilet, not sure about the other 2

ReputationRep:
    I have had mine for almost a year and only remember to put mine in about once a week, but it still fits ok, so as long as they arent moving and the retainer still fits, i dont think it mattershow often you put in.
    I would keep using the retainer for 6 months like your dentist said, having to wear braces all over again is worse than having to wear a retainer at night

ReputationRep:
    I wore mine at night for a few months then my mum threw them away saying they were unhygienic. When I went to the orthodontist I just said I'd left them in the car at the tram stop but tbh my teeth haven't really moved much having not worn them for very long anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I have to wear mine at least one night a week for the rest of my life, and every night at the moment. I've worn them every night for the last 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    I worn mine every night for around a year (maybe less) and am now wearing them every other night, and I can definitely feel how much my teeth move every time I wear them, its hurts for a while to. I'm planning on wearing them till I'm 18 then stopping, might stop a bit earlier.

Liv1204 - surely you will only need to wear them until your teeth stop changing/developing? Or don't they? :P Thats what my dentist said to me, and thats why I'm taking them out when I reach 18, he said they stop changing at around 21 though I believe.

ReputationRep:
    I wore mine nightly for 2 or so years, then my teeth started moving - by evening it would be a struggle to get the retainer back on and I'd be in pain every night. I went to a different orthodontist who drilled into my two top front teeth and connected them with wire, which has snapped off 3 times in 4 years, and my teeth are still moving... dammit!
    I'd say wear your retainer for as long as you possibly can. Wear them for YEARS. I wish I'd never had my teeth drilled and connected, because my retainer wouldn't fit afterwards and now my teeth are all wonky

ReputationRep:
    you only have to wear them to prevent your teeth moving back. obviously you don't have to, but if that's what your orthodontist has recommended then you probably should!

If you've been told to wear a retainer then definitely do so unless you want the teeth moving out of alignment again - why waste all that work?! I know a couple of people in their mid 20s who still wear retainers at night occasionally. Apparently Prince William still needs to wear one all the time so at least you are better off than him

ReputationRep:
    I stopped wearing mines, now im back in full braces again. Your choice.

ReputationRep:
    It's 100% necessary. Your teeth will relapse extremely quickly, basically overnight.

ReputationRep:
    it depends on the person and what change your teeth went through.
    i was told to do the same as you after having my braces removed, however, after the braces were off, i never had another orthodontist appt. so didn't bother wearing them.
    i've not worn my retainers in 3 years and although the top teeth haven't moved (i can comfortably put the retainer on), the bottom front ones have moved a LOT.

if i was you, i'd just wear them at night. they will be uncomfortable because during the day your teeth will have moved, but as long as you don't leave them off for more than a week or two, putting the retainer on and bearing the pain will return them to normal
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Listen to your dentist. You may not agree with what he's saying, but you know he knows best. I got my retainer in April and have to wear it full time. God knows how many times someone's said to me 'I refused to wear my retainer and now my teeth aren't as straight as they should be'. The point of wearing it is to let the bone set - which can take a long time - otherwise your teeth will move straight back. If I were you, I'd just listen and do what he says. It will be worth it when you can finally ditch it and have lovely straight choppers

(Original post by Jamieeee)
    Liv1204 - surely you will only need to wear them until your teeth stop changing/developing? Or don't they? :P Thats what my dentist said to me, and thats why I'm taking them out when I reach 18, he said they stop changing at around 21 though I believe.
    Hmm, not convinced that holds true for me personally!

I had braces taken off at ~ age 17.
    I'm now 24 & still wear my retainer at night for the majority of the week (probably averages out at 5/7). If I don't for a few consecutive days it feels tight...

But <- perfect teeth smile. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Keep on wearing them!!
    I got told to wear mine twice a week up until June, then just once a week, and that was the last time they would be seeing me. Since the end of June, I stopped wearing mine, and now my retainers don't fit at all, and I'm gonna have to pay £60 for new ones .
    Keep wearing them!

ReputationRep:
    I got my retainer just before my GCSE exams and have worn it pretty much every night since (I've now finished A Levels). My teeth are exactly the same as they were when the braces came off.

I know a lot of people who couldn't be bothered to wear their retainer, and their teeth have gone back to how they were pre-braces. Some have stayed perfect, but that isn't a chance I would be willing to make.

Just wear them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangsta316)
    My braces were removed approximately a year ago and I have been wearing retainers since then. For the first 6 months I wore them all day (except when eating) and for the next 6 months I was told to wear them only in the night, which I did. I just went to the orthodontist today who told me to continue what I am doing for the next 6 months and then wear them say once a week for the 6 months after that, and then they can be discarded next summer. He also said that he doesn't need to see me again. So is all this retainer usage necessary for the next year? I feel like they aren't doing anything and don't feel like wearing them for another year.
    What I'd say is to keep wearing them every other night, for as long as you can. They probably won't stay perfect after a few weeks, and then you'll either have to endure the pain of them moving back when you put the retainer in, or they will get so out of place that you won't be able to get the retainer in again.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would say keep wearing them, I wore mine for a bit but then stopped and although the top ones are fine, I wish now that I had kept the bottom one. It was only a peice of wire... and now my bottom teeth are not as straight anymore. I cant have it back on as I have to pay now and I can afford it!! grrr

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.