Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question about retainers Watch

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who thought I had to wear my retainer for like, the rest of my life? My orthodontist never really said how long I had to wear them for, and I didn't ask (Stoopid ?!). I've been wearing them for about 2 and a half years, every night. Do I actually not have to?

Note: I don't see my orthodontist anymore, unless I have any problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamieeee)
    Liv1204 - surely you will only need to wear them until your teeth stop changing/developing? Or don't they? :P Thats what my dentist said to me, and thats why I'm taking them out when I reach 18, he said they stop changing at around 21 though I believe.
    Ooh, I hope so. They said every night at least once a week permanently when I was given them, but that was 3 years ago now, heh. It's slightly different because I had my jaw moved back too, so I had braces for 3 1/2 years, then the jaw operation, then braces a bit longer and then the retainer, but still...would be nice to stop wearing it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangsta316)
    My braces were removed approximately a year ago and I have been wearing retainers since then. For the first 6 months I wore them all day (except when eating) and for the next 6 months I was told to wear them only in the night, which I did. I just went to the orthodontist today who told me to continue what I am doing for the next 6 months and then wear them say once a week for the 6 months after that, and then they can be discarded next summer. He also said that he doesn't need to see me again. So is all this retainer usage necessary for the next year? I feel like they aren't doing anything and don't feel like wearing them for another year.
    I had my retainers braces removed a year ago aswell i wore my retainers for a week or so (I was told have to wear them on for a year) than couldnt bother, but they still seem to fit me my teeth aint moved at all thank God

ReputationRep:
    I wore them every night for two years then lost them. On of the bottom teeth has gone slightly out of line, but no-one sees my bottom teeth :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    I woke up one morning with the top half missing. Bad times
    OMG me too!

Either someone broke into my house and stole my retainer, or I swallowed it!

ReputationRep:
    I guess I am going to continue wearing them. But the orthodontist said that I can stop wearing them next summer. Will I be ok if I stop wearing them then or will they go back to their old position?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangsta316)
    My braces were removed approximately a year ago and I have been wearing retainers since then. For the first 6 months I wore them all day (except when eating) and for the next 6 months I was told to wear them only in the night, which I did. I just went to the orthodontist today who told me to continue what I am doing for the next 6 months and then wear them say once a week for the 6 months after that, and then they can be discarded next summer. He also said that he doesn't need to see me again. So is all this retainer usage necessary for the next year? I feel like they aren't doing anything and don't feel like wearing them for another year.
    mine went in the bin when I got to this stage, and 3 years later my teeth are stil perfect, so there's no need in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    Is that true about Prince William? Hey remember when he was better looking than Harry ...

To those of you that just wear yours at night, if it hurts for a little bit but the teeth move back after a while, does that do any harm? If I have my retainer on for the whole day my teeth don't move at all, but I find wearing them during the day really inconvinient. If I don't wear them for a whole day they feel really tight at night, and I can't help but feel that it isn't good for my teeth. Anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    OMG me too!

Either someone broke into my house and stole my retainer, or I swallowed it!
    I've never found it till this day. I now have one tooth wonky! :o:

Sometimes I feel that my retainer isnt helping so sometimes for several weeks (or at times a couple months) I just stopped wearing it.

When I stop wearing them for a while and then put them on one night they feel a bit tight but the pains bearable then after a few days its fine, will this change the shape of my retainer???
    I have gone from a retainer to braces and then back to a retainer (which I wear now) and have been wearing my retainer on and off for the last few years. Each time I go back on, it hurts less and less so either the retainer is changing shape or my teeth are getting better slowly. Im gonna make sure I wear it every day for the next year (I only have to wear it at nights now) because I only have 1 year left and I hope I havent done any damage.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.