Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious as I'm considering this as an option for September - I like the style and breadth of the qualification over A-levels, and I also prefer the atmosphere of the college (state) where it is offered.

If I took A-levels I would be studying: Bio, Chem, Eng Lit, French
    On the IB, I would take HL Bio,Chem & French, SL World Lit, Maths, History.

I have heard rather conflicting things about the potential impact this could have on my application; I've seen the table of requirements, and that it is accepted at all medical schools, but in terms of universities unofficial bias towards it things seem more unclear. I've been told that offers are generally more difficult to meet, but that some unis (like UCL & Nottingham) actually prefer it. On the other hand, I've heard it mentioned that some greatly prefer A-level candidates.

Since I can't seem to find anything definitive, I'd much appreciate hearing any experiences, advice, or opinions

ReputationRep:
    anyone??

ReputationRep:
    no one at all ?? i feel so rejected...

ReputationRep:
    There's an IB Medics thread in the IB forum, you might want to try posting in there?

ReputationRep:
    The difference is tiny, if anything A level Chemistry/Biology seems to go a bit more in depth than IB, you'll just have a bigger work load doing those extra subjects.

You should be more concerned about having enough work experience, something that would make you stand out.

ReputationRep:
    Tiny difference, but I'd do IB because of the broader range but purely for personal gain because Uni's are not going to mind either way. IB you get your results earlier, but you also do your exams earlier, therefore by elimination less teaching time? But longer holiday? Don't know whether this makes a difference to you

Do whichever you think you will get the best results in, at the end of the day thats what mattered

ReputationRep:
    I did IB and back in my day (07 cycle) there was no significant difference between IB interviewsffers and A-level interviewsffers at my school, and I think this is true nationally.

Academia is always a check-box thing, once you've satisfied the grades, other factors like work experience play a more significant role. I also doubt that universities can actually discriminate positively or negatively towards the IB as it is not available for every student to take.

ReputationRep:
    i did the IB in 07 and i have a place in king's now. if you get into at least the high 30s, i don't see why you shouldn't have a shot at the interview.

i applied to UCL, King's, St George's and Bart's; and the only interview i didn't get was UCL (could have been the BMAT though).

ReputationRep:
    I finished the IB this year, and I got two offers for medicine (the two rejections had nothing to do with the IB).

The only real difference is that when you apply, you won't have any public examinations results from year 12 (i.e. AS levels), however schools have to state predicted grades for year 13 examinations for both A level and IB applicants. Thus your predicted grades will be based on your mock exams/work in year 12 and the beginning of year 13.

Choose the IB if you think you would enjoy it more. Unis do not discriminate against the IB.

As for what lekky said, the exams are earlier because there are no public exams in year 12 so IB students have lessons when AS level students would be taking mocks/revising/sitting exams.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.