Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey. So I'm starting to do this privately now, I have a Maths tutor for 2 hours a week. I just want to get any feedback from others that have been in the same situation, self teaching/tutor a few hours a week, and have completed Maths A-Level in a year. I wouldn't say I'm amazing at Maths, but I click on quite fast. I've just been looking through some of the content and I realise I've let myself in for a hard task, but I think I can do it if I put the work/hours in. What sort of amount of time would be expected to be put in to realistically achieve an B/A. I'm sitting C1, C2 and M1 or D1 in January, and C3, C4 and M1 or D1 in June, through Edexcel. The only other commitment I would have would be doing my BTEC, which is 3-4 days a week, although some of those are half days and the BTEC is really easy, and I'm comitted to working through my entire summer holidays.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    What is your academic record? I would think A-Level in eleven months is a very tall order but it depends on what you already know and how clever you are.

ReputationRep:
    My main advice would be to sit C1, C2 and M1 together (M1 is usually seen to be more difficult than D1 in my experience at college so it might be best to get the more difficult one out of the way). C1 and C2 are relatively easy if you make sure you cover it and understand it-also ensure that you keep hold of your C1 and C2 knowledge when taking C4 as most people get let down by forgetting the basics. I'd also recommend the Collins and/or CGP revision guides :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I did Maths A2 in one year and it was fairly challlenging, had roughly 7.5 hours a week on maths at school so with just 2 hours a week it'd take a lot of work outside of your tutoring.

That said a friend of mine managed to catch up 4 modules in 6 months on his own w/o a tutor. Crazy.

ReputationRep:
    this year i finished my A levels maths (and bio),
    i did c1,c2 and m1 in jan.
    and c3,c4 and m2 in june
    well, its hard because you have alot to do on your own.but its definitely not impossible
    u must be totally commited to it.
    i think maths isnt hard at all, it needs little bit of practice, and ofcourse some good basics.

pm me, i hope i can help ! =DD

ReputationRep:
    If you do 5 hours a day for a week for C1, the same for C2 and M1 (maybe longer for M1). That should be enough and remember to do papers, papers, papers!

ReputationRep:
    Our college tought a level maths in 1 year and this was 9 hours of taught lessons. That being said, I know a few people who have done extra module and roughly speaking 1module = 6weeks if your learning it with enthusiasm!

You'll be fine :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.