Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe there wasn't a thread on this earlier on. If you read the article on CNN, the plane that crashed was Russian-made, and had a bad track record with crashes. It can also be human error as well, not just the plane. Although there has been a heightened amount of media coverage of plane crashes.

ReputationRep:
    Planes can't live with the death of their own kind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JumpingJonny)
    I was wondering, are there more plane crashes now due to planes coming to the end of their usage? Because they simply aren't maintained preoperly?

Or I was thinking it just seems the media are reporting them more, as it makes good news especially after the airfrance crash

I wouldn't say the planes are coming to the end of their usage - like cars they're continually built and sold.

More often, it's all about how well they're maintained/organised. Some, like the one in this case, are older and more likely to have been poorly looked after during their working lifetime - especcially in a country without particularly stringent safety laws.

ReputationRep:
    I misread this as 'Scouse killed in Iran plane crash' :awesome: :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I didnt mean planes in general :p: I meant the planes being used have come to the end of their usage, many of the ones coming down in places like Iran are very old and simply shouldn't be used. The maintenance in mant places is not existant, I wonder if the mehanics working on these planes would allow their loved ones to travel on them?

Again though, it's not about age, it's how they're looked after.

There are many aircraft - some military, some civil - which have been in active use for well over 50 years.

It's all down to the maintenance.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, I dont think I have conveyed my point very well :sad: What I meant was tha older planes (like you described), need far more maintenance to run, in countries like Iran were they are second hand planes from the russians etc, they are recieving far less maintenance in their older age than when they were new. Hence why so many come down.

It's all relative though.

Almost every plane you get on will be second hand. In most cases, the airline you're flying with won't own the aircraft, but will be leasing it from somewhere else [usually a bank].

And still, the amount that "come down" is still very small, it's just slightly larger than anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how long it'll be before the Ayatollah blames the west.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if the plane were a Boeing or Airbus that this crash would've happened.

ReputationRep:
    For various reasons there are restrictions/limits on what Iran can buy from Europe and the USA, so this basically means they have to use either ancient western aircraft or slightly newer Russian aircraft. Combine this with an unavailability of spare parts in Iran and maintenance practices which aren't up to the same standards of Europe/USA and its pretty much a recipe for disaster.

Plus the Tupelov involved was over 22 years old. The aircraft would have been getting to the end of its useable life, assuming it had been properly maintained to a high standard.

ReputationRep:
    It's nothing to do with the age of an aircraft, it's to do with the maintenance. I fly a 50-year old plane, and it's as good as new.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gamer99)
    Serves them right for using crappy old Tupolev's
    well they can't buy planes from the west or new parts, because of sanctions.

ReputationRep:
    Oh crap I'm flying tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by style)
    well they can't buy planes from the west or new parts, because of sanctions.
    Good then maybe they should sort out the country then.

ReputationRep:
    Serves who right? The passengers who died ?

tit

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Yet another air crash??! I'm flying home soon....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spex)

tit
    Do you mean nipples?

ReputationRep:
    Tupolevs have better than average safety records for the majority of the fleet, including the tu-154.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spex)

tit
    If it was a Boeing or Airbus I'm sure it wouldn't have happened. Everyone knows that these airlines aren't as safe as Western ones.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.