Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So basically i go to brunel uni and just finished my 1st year.
    but i failed a module by 1 mark!! Do i have to resit the whole module in september? or is there any other way (e.g. contacting the exam board) to progress to level 2 without retaking the whole module? i mean i just failed by 1 mark only

the module was based on assignments and exam. i failed the exam but i have got good grades in assignment!

ReputationRep:
    So have you failed the whole year? First year doesn't count towards degree award anyway, so as long as you're in for next year you're fine.

ReputationRep:
    Usually you only need to retake if you fail spectacularly. At Southampton <40 is a fail and <25 (or somewhere around there) is a retake.

ReputationRep:
    apparently you have to pass all 5 modules. In my transcript it says i have to get 40% or above to pass the 1st year.

ReputationRep:
    Surely you only have to repeat the exam in August? Thats usually how it works - if you fail a written exam, and its only 1 of them, the college just make you resit the exam paper in August - you should call your class tutor or someone from your course - but in every university I've ever heard of, if you fail an exam you just repeat it during the summer

ReputationRep:
    It depends how high your average was as well whether you need to retake. A friend of mine failed a module by 2% but his average was like 55% so he didn't need to resit.

ReputationRep:
    a mark is a mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickeyfit)
    but in every university I've ever heard of, if you fail an exam you just repeat it during the summer
    There are exceptions. Not that I know jack about Brunel.

ReputationRep:
    what if u fail a coursework and exam for a module

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure that you failed the whole module? If you failed the exam but passed the coursework, as long as you get 40% overall for the whole module then it doesn't matter that you failed the exam I don't think. You might have to resit the exam in August though if you have failed the module as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    OP from what you have said all 5 of your modules are compulsory pass modules for your first year.

If you did an end test for the module that you failed by 1 mark in, you'll resist that test in August/Sept - redoing coursework would be inappropriate.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, in my experiece as long as you don't achieve less than 35 marks in one assesed piece, you can pass if your other assesed work is over 40.

For example:

Exam 1 - I get 35 marks
    Exam 2 - I get 45 marks.

Even though I failed one exam, I have averaged 40 overall. If not, you will only need to retake the exam/coursework you failed, not the entire module.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's a right bugger for me

I failed my module, got 29% for Dynamic Landscape but have a 57.5% average overall and I'm still resitting. Got a feeling I'm going to fail as well, this is my worst module...damn physical geography, it is my bane.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.