Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So basically i go to brunel uni and just finished my 1st year.
    but i failed a module by 1 mark!! Do i have to resit the whole module in september? or is there any other way (e.g. contacting the exam board) to progress to level 2 without retaking the whole module? i mean i just failed by 1 mark only

the module was based on assignments and exam. i failed the exam but i have got good grades in assignment!

ReputationRep:
    So have you failed the whole year? First year doesn't count towards degree award anyway, so as long as you're in for next year you're fine.

ReputationRep:
    Usually you only need to retake if you fail spectacularly. At Southampton <40 is a fail and <25 (or somewhere around there) is a retake.

ReputationRep:
    apparently you have to pass all 5 modules. In my transcript it says i have to get 40% or above to pass the 1st year.

ReputationRep:
    Surely you only have to repeat the exam in August? Thats usually how it works - if you fail a written exam, and its only 1 of them, the college just make you resit the exam paper in August - you should call your class tutor or someone from your course - but in every university I've ever heard of, if you fail an exam you just repeat it during the summer

ReputationRep:
    It depends how high your average was as well whether you need to retake. A friend of mine failed a module by 2% but his average was like 55% so he didn't need to resit.

ReputationRep:
    a mark is a mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickeyfit)
    but in every university I've ever heard of, if you fail an exam you just repeat it during the summer
    There are exceptions. Not that I know jack about Brunel.

ReputationRep:
    what if u fail a coursework and exam for a module

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure that you failed the whole module? If you failed the exam but passed the coursework, as long as you get 40% overall for the whole module then it doesn't matter that you failed the exam I don't think. You might have to resit the exam in August though if you have failed the module as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    OP from what you have said all 5 of your modules are compulsory pass modules for your first year.

If you did an end test for the module that you failed by 1 mark in, you'll resist that test in August/Sept - redoing coursework would be inappropriate.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, in my experiece as long as you don't achieve less than 35 marks in one assesed piece, you can pass if your other assesed work is over 40.

For example:

Exam 1 - I get 35 marks
    Exam 2 - I get 45 marks.

Even though I failed one exam, I have averaged 40 overall. If not, you will only need to retake the exam/coursework you failed, not the entire module.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's a right bugger for me

I failed my module, got 29% for Dynamic Landscape but have a 57.5% average overall and I'm still resitting. Got a feeling I'm going to fail as well, this is my worst module...damn physical geography, it is my bane.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.