Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Now they're not particularly fat, what's there is solid... but there's no denying my legs are BIG. Bigger than they should be considering my top half. In particular I lack ankle definition (cankles if you may) and I hate it!!! The majority of people in this world have lovely legs... even the most obese can have delicate ankles, I just hate looking stupid in skirts and dresses

Should I just resign myself to trousers for the rest of my life? I mean I don't mind... I like jeans... it'd just be nice to have alternatives for a night out ya know?

Don't get me wrong, I do wear them occasionally, just I'm so aware of how clunky I look.

Is there any way to improve things? Particular exercises..? Styles of tights?!

Please help.. just incase the sun comes out again...

ReputationRep:
    mmhh similar thing with me...i am an overall size 8, but i have bigger thighs compared to the rest of my body! i hate it too. i go jogging 2-4 times a week but it hasn't really worked (although it is probably my fault because i eat what i like) so i guess i feel your pain....i don't really know what to suggest because i'm kind of stuck myself

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, there's nothing you can do. Cankles are something you've either got or you havent.
    I think you should sod social conforms and just wear what you like.

ReputationRep:
    Not to worry, mine aren't particularly clever either ...

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)

Clever monkey.

ReputationRep:
    Black tights work wonders. I think probably the worst thing you can do is wear pants/ skirts/ leggings that cut off at the knee, calf, or above the ankle. That's about it.

ReputationRep:
    Me too But you are genetically inclined so, and thus, must live with it (as much as you desire to wear those capris, or cute skirts).

Black leggings, slim cut dark jeans, and even tan stockings in summer to slim or cover areas that you don't like if you want to wear a dress or little skirt. Avoid avoid avoid shorts that cut off 3/4, and on the knee - that CANNOT be stressed enough. If you're going to do shorts, stuff it, go the whole way, get some short shorts (with cuffs!) and grab some wedges - it elongates the leg (especially those dreaded calves).

But that's all aesthetic semantics. Stuff it! It's about CONFIDENCE. Probably turns out you're your own worst critic - I know I am: but people will primarily judge you on you, and the person you project.

Yes yes, it's all so disney / cliched / vomit. But you will be happier to realise it.

ReputationRep:
    Pics or it didn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    could it be that, its just YOU who thinks so?
    as in boys wd see them in a different way than you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    I agree.

I bet your legs aren't as bad as you are making them out to be. Besides, loads of men (Incl. myself, love girls with thick legs) :yep: It's nothing to be ashamed of! Don't hide yourself!

ReputationRep:

I saw what you did there :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonathanNorth)
    I agree.

I bet your legs aren't as bad as you are making them out to be. Besides, loads of men (Incl. myself, love girls with thick legs) :yep: It's nothing to be ashamed of! Don't hide yourself!
    Love thick legs?! Like hell! I mean I'm sure I have other attributes that are more appealing but I really don't think any guy would like just the legs!

I have a photo but honestly it will just confirm what I'm saying and you'll be put in the embarrassing position of not knowing how to deny it!

bit dark and small cos it's cropped. They don't actually look too bad there but considering I'm a size 8 on top it looks really disproportionate.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the dressing tips though folks!

What would be the ideal length of dress to go for do u think?

ReputationRep:
    It's better than having skinny twig legs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueRoses)
    Love thick legs?! Like hell! I mean I'm sure I have other attributes that are more appealing but I really don't think any guy would like just the legs!

I have a photo but honestly it will just confirm what I'm saying and you'll be put in the embarrassing position of not knowing how to deny it!

bit dark and small cos it's cropped. They don't actually look too bad there but considering I'm a size 8 on top it looks really disproportionate.
    I actually got a boner from those legs.

They aren't that bad! I would definitely find those legs attractive if suited with a nice outfit. :yep: They aren't that thick at-all. Plus you need to show more thighs, to which I think would make you look sexy.

ReputationRep:
    if you're self concious about them, maxi dresses are your friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueRoses)
    Now they're not particularly fat, what's there is solid... but there's no denying my legs are BIG. Bigger than they should be considering my top half. In particular I lack ankle definition (cankles if you may) and I hate it!!! The majority of people in this world have lovely legs... even the most obese can have delicate ankles, I just hate looking stupid in skirts and dresses

Should I just resign myself to trousers for the rest of my life? I mean I don't mind... I like jeans... it'd just be nice to have alternatives for a night out ya know?

Don't get me wrong, I do wear them occasionally, just I'm so aware of how clunky I look.

Is there any way to improve things? Particular exercises..? Styles of tights?!

Please help.. just incase the sun comes out again...

mine are the same, my parents took me out cycling every week when i was little and all my family has really muscly legs and i can't get rid of them! but if its not fat then you may as well just accept it and get on with it! i still wear skirts in the summer otherwise its too hot! the only other thing i can suggest is really high heels because they make your legs look longer/thinner!

ReputationRep:

really? mine are going to cambridge next year...... im not by the way!

ReputationRep:
    aww hun don't even worry about it... its not something you can get rid of anyway just like stretchmarks (which i have but i could not care less)... wear whatever the hell you like... i mean it doesn't seem to bother mischa barton or denise richards

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...a%3DN%26um%3D1

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...a%3DN%26um%3D1

ReputationRep:
    your legs aren't bad at all! opaque black/dark tights are very flattering, and if the ankle thing bothers you then why not try boots? imo cowboy boots that dip in a V at the front of the calf are extreeeemely flattering to create a bit of shape and lengthen calves.
    length of skirts/dresses, few inches above your knee.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.