Turn on thread page Beta

Is Phil Ivey the best poker player ever? watch

ReputationRep:
    2 bracelets so far this WSOP takes his total haul to 6 and currently 4th in chips in the last 27 of the main event going into the final day before the final table.

This guy is a legend everyone will agree but is he better than the Hellmuth's and Negreanu's?

ReputationRep:
    Hellmuth is a nob. I love watching him getting beat. He's such a *****!

Danny is my fave poker player tbh. Love his cheeky attitude at the table.

Best poker player though... Gotta be Brunson. Just.

ReputationRep:
    But is Ivey the best all round?

I've never seen anyone so at ease with so many poker variations. He can win at any form!!

Doyle is a master of Texas HE no arguments about that but he cant play omaha.

ReputationRep:
    Hellmuth and Brunson! Ivey is definitely up there.

ReputationRep:
    Ivey is the best in all forms of the game, just look at the number of events he's won bracelts in. Also being a successful high stakes cash game players, I don't think anyone has that kind of credentials.

ReputationRep:
    WSOP Bracelets isn't a good way to measure the skill of a poker player. Hella high variance.

I don't think there's even a question about him being better than Hellmuth or DN, he's on another level relative to them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Hellmuth sucks at cash. Ivey again is top class in this field. If Durrr can keep up his form he could become a legend of cash

ReputationRep:
    When people say poker, I assume HE. I can honestly say I've never watched, nor had any interest in other forms of poker, so I couldn't really comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    When people say poker, I assume HE. I can honestly say I've never watched, nor had any interest in other forms of poker, so I couldn't really comment.
    You really have to try playing some omaha. Its such an action game. Sets, str8, flushes, FH so often chips flying everywhere! Great fun

ReputationRep:
    Personally, i love Gus Hansen... psycho player. Hellmuth is too arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morzor)
    Personally, i love Gus Hansen... psycho player. Hellmuth is too arrogant.
    Gus is a quality player. Funny vid of him playing the last hand of 2007 Aussie millions against the fattest poker player ive ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    I love that Porta Rican bloke who does that shark thing to 'intimidate' his opponents. In fact, he's a legend.

ReputationRep:
    Who is that?

ReputationRep:
    Negranu is the best to watch.
    Tony G is the one you "love to hate" , haha...

ReputationRep:
    my favourite players are ivey, hellmuth and chan

imo ivey is the best, seen the hand where he's bluffing jackson's bluff? sick that...

anyone here play on partypoker? or pokerstars? pm me for a game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronaldo91)

imo ivey is the best, seen the hand where he's bluffing jackson's bluff? sick that...

anyone here play on partypoker? or pokerstars? pm me for a game
    That vid is sick.

Im playin PKR atm

ReputationRep:
    i like to watch ivey, negreanu and hellmuth. those in the last 3 would be sweet as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llynus)
    WSOP Bracelets isn't a good way to measure the skill of a poker player. Hella high variance.
    I think it is a good way. It's no coincedence that the top players all have more than 3 bracelets, especially with larger field sizes these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charzhino)
    I think it is a good way. It's no coincedence that the top players all have more than 3 bracelets, especially with larger field sizes these days.
    I agree. Varience is a ***** in tournys but winning 3+ despite varience is the sign of a class player. TO win 11 is just sick!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneEyedYellowIdol)
    I love that Porta Rican bloke who does that shark thing to 'intimidate' his opponents. In fact, he's a legend.
    Humberto Brenes? Hes a legend yeh.
    Ivey is probably the most in form player at the moment, but Lisandro won wsop player of the year, hes played well. Hellmuth hasnt adapted well enough to the modern game. Anyone see Ivey in the other events - the bracelets he won, he was multitabling between two events for at least one of em lol

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.