Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Phil Ivey the best poker player ever? Watch

ReputationRep:
    That's it, took me ages to find his name and when I return you've posted it! Bah!

ReputationRep:
    And now I'm here. Best poker videos ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OYwPGMaqMc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKv0H5jZtQ0

ReputationRep:
    Everyone knows the best poker player is Mike Matusow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneEyedYellowIdol)
    And now I'm here. Best poker videos ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OYwPGMaqMc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKv0H5jZtQ0
    they are fun to watch, but i wouldn't class them as the best.

bluffs are the best to watch (apart from jamies gold's stupid plays)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidpoker)
    That vid is sick.

Im playin PKR atm
    oh no, pkr is awful lol it takes longer than real life to play out a hand haha :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charzhino)
    I think it is a good way. It's no coincedence that the top players all have more than 3 bracelets, especially with larger field sizes these days.
    You're missing my point, any player with a bracelet is going to be reasonably good, but you can be incredibly good without one (Justin Bonomo, Phil Gordon, Tom Dwan, Gavin Smith, Patrik Antonius, Gus Hansen etc etc). You can't say that because a player has more bracelets he's a better player, I'd rate Antonius (0) a mile above Hellmuth (11).

It's really not a good way to compare players, that's why all the pros don't compare bracelets, they play heads up over tens of thousands of hands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llynus)
    You're missing my point, any player with a bracelet is going to be reasonably good, but you can be incredibly good without one (Justin Bonomo, Phil Gordon,Tom Dwan, Gavin Smith, Patrik Antonius, Gus Hansen etc etc). You can't say that because a player has more bracelets he's a better player, I'd rate Antonius (0) a mile above Hellmuth (11).

It's really not a good way to compare players, that's why all the pros don't compare bracelets, they play heads up over tens of thousands of hands.
    true but most people will use braclets to compare success, it's the only quantitative measure (aswell as winnings)

listing a load of great players, which most people may agree, is qualitative so is subject to unfair judgment.

who said pros don't compare bracelets? you must have heard hellmuth bragging about his?

ReputationRep:
    But no other pros take him serious when he claims he is better than them because he has more bracelets, just watch table talk on PAD anytime Hellmuth is on, when he starts that nonsense, all the pros laugh at him and offer to take him on heads up over X thousand hands whatever stake he likes. The majority of poker challenges are settled like this (like the Durrr challenge vs Antonius).

Quantitative measuring doesn't work in poker, you have to look at the plays they're capable of making, winnings etc are part of it, but only as a very loose guide.

If you really think that no. of bracelets is a good measure of a poker players skill, and that Hellmuth is better than Antonius, I laugh at you.

ReputationRep:
    But no other pros take him serious when he claims he is better than them because he has more bracelets, just watch table talk on PAD anytime Hellmuth is on, when he starts that nonsense, all the pros laugh at him and offer to take him on heads up over X thousand hands whatever stake he likes. The majority of poker challenges are settled like this (like the Durrr challenge vs Antonius).

Quantitative measuring doesn't work in poker, you have to look at the plays they're capable of making, winnings etc are part of it, but only as a very loose guide.

If you really think that no. of bracelets is a good measure of a poker players skill, and that Hellmuth is better than Antonius, I laugh at you.
    laughing on the table is also part of the game to tilt people and it's for tv so is a show too.

the million dollar challenge wasn't settled like that, it wasn't a result from bickering on a table.
    durrrr (4 r's) advertised the challenge to anyone, and antonius was the first to respond so that's how it was settled.

as for winnings are a loose guide, fair comment (but i'd rather win more than be known as better than another person)

you can laugh at me, your opinion, but many people would also laugh at your comment!
    i.e.
    there is no way to settle this, like i said if we will start using opinions then the argument will be hard to conclude! /discussion (from me)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronaldo91)
    laughing on the table is also part of the game to tilt people and it's for tv so is a show too.

the million dollar challenge wasn't settled like that, it wasn't a result from bickering on a table.
    durrrr (4 r's) advertised the challenge to anyone, and antonius was the first to respond so that's how it was settled.

as for winnings are a loose guide, fair comment (but i'd rather win more than be known as better than another person)

you can laugh at me, your opinion, but many people would also laugh at your comment!
    i.e.
    there is no way to settle this, like i said if we will start using opinions then the argument will be hard to conclude! /discussion (from me)
    I know that's how the challenge was settled, my point being, DurrrR set the challenge over 50000(?) hands, a WSOP winner will play around 3000. Variance is way too big to say that the winner is better than the player who came 2nd, or who came 40th. I've never heard poker players use number of bracelets as an argument, unless they're needling, or unless they're Phil Hellmuth.

I didn't mean I was laughing at YOU, I said I laugh at anyone who thinks that firstly WSOP is an accurate measure of skill (and a fair way to compare players skill), and secondly (and less so) that over a relatively largely sample size that Hellmuth would take Antonius.

Sorry if I offended you, just trying to get across how ridiculous I think it is that you guys think WSOP is a fair (and accurate) way to compare players.

ReputationRep:
    I know that's how the challenge was settled, my point being, DurrrR set the challenge over 50000(?) hands, a WSOP winner will play around 3000. Variance is way too big to say that the winner is better than the player who came 2nd, or who came 40th. I've never heard poker players use number of bracelets as an argument, unless they're needling, or unless they're Phil Hellmuth.

I didn't say I was laughing at you, I said I laugh at anyone who thinks that firstly WSOP is an accurate measure of skill (and a fair way to compare players skill), and secondly (and less so) that over a relatively largely sample size that Hellmuth would take Antonius.

Sorry if I offended you, just trying to get across how ridiculous I think it is that you guys think WSOP is a fair (and accurate) way to compare players.
    i said i would stop discussing, but feel i have to make this point to clear any aussumptions you had.

i never said it was fair, i said it was a quantitative measurement ie. it cannot be argued
    but i do feel comparing player's from one persons opinion is unfair
    but if we had a poll for example, then we are getting closer to a fair result given that you validate opinions as a measurement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morzor)
    Personally, i love Gus Hansen... psycho player. Hellmuth is too arrogant.

See him Vs the ladies on poker after dark?
    was funny
    but yeah i love the watch gus hanson

another player who i like to watch Tom Dwan, he is an awesome player IMO

ReputationRep:
    Any thaughts on the november nine?
    ESPN will be pleased ivey made it for the viewing figures
    Come on Akenhead!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkhaz44)
    Any thaughts on the november nine?
    ESPN will be pleased ivey made it for the viewing figures
    Come on Akenhead!
    Poker players will be set to loose MILLIONS due to side bets they've made with Ivey if he now ends up winning. I guarantee they'll all be coaching and advising every other player on how Ivey works and how to improve their game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewis132)
    Poker players will be set to loose MILLIONS due to side bets they've made with Ivey if he now ends up winning. I guarantee they'll all be coaching and advising every other player on how Ivey works and how to improve their game.
    Yeh, no doubt Pokerstars will sign one or two up pretty sharpish...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkhaz44)
    Yeh, no doubt Pokerstars will sign one or two up pretty sharpish...
    Yeah the ameteurs are going to have the most stressful few months of their lives with interviews, practising, people following their every move online and that whereas Phil can just sit back and relax more.

Its been revealed Andy Bloch will loose $2 million alone from his bets with Ivey if Ivey goes on to win.

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.