Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have to certain software. (need to use it - not want to)

Is it possible to get another assessment done by someone who actually knows what they're doing?

If the assessor won't reconsider based on the argument you put forward then you need to contact your LEA. When you contact the LEA you will need to explain why you need what you need and be prepared to provide documentary evidence to support your claim. i.e. detailed doctors report, report by an educational psychologist or whatever.
    They don't deal with any of this anymore - it's Student Finance.

ReputationRep:
    One needs assessment only. You can't shop around for one that suits.

ReputationRep:
    Even if the other person I'm thinking of knows more about my needs than the person who assessed me?

ReputationRep:
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    You also need to be aware that any equipment provided for you through DSA is only to compensate for your extra needs because of your disability to study.

Dictionary and background change on university computers should be provided by the university under DDA, and the desktop allows you to do your private study, the laptop would simply be for convenience, it's not a need.

You'll now only get a laptop through DSA if you need adaptive software to be able to work, and move around a lot, e.g. on placements.

The extra time/rest breaks thing you may be able to make progress with, but before getting too far down the line on getting that on the DSA report it may well be simplest to resolve that one with the university direct.

Laptop wise, unless you *need* the portability, it's not going to happen through DSA. Needing the software at university isn't a reason to need a laptop, thats a reason that for the university to make sure it's on their system (and it probably is already).

ReputationRep:
    To repeat what the other posters have said, DSA is only intended to place you on a LEVEL PLAYING FIELD with non-disabled students.
    I got a laptop as I'm doing a PhD and (a) go on fieldwork abroad for quite extensive periods (b) have to do my research within a number of museums across the country.

ReputationRep:
    So, what would happen if there were no computers on the campus that meet my needs? I've been told there are computers that do have 20" screens, but only have magnifying software on. (which I was offered, but declined because I don't need it)

ReputationRep:
    If there were no computer on campus, I'd be querying why the university is running a computing course tbh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    So, what would happen if there were no computers on the campus that meet my needs? I've been told there are computers that do have 20" screens, but only have magnifying software on. (which I was offered, but declined because I don't need it)
    If there were no computers on the course that met your needs then some or all of the course contents and alot of the on-line learning resources would be inaccessible to you and you would require some sort of adjustment. Like the university buys the software and puts it on a computer.

ReputationRep:
    Laptops are usually cheaper than software. Last year, I was given a piece of software (usb stick) which costs £950. None of the software I require is cheap.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think it's a matter of pure finance.....
    And I don't quite understand why it would cost less for your DSA money to be arranged to go on a laptop for you, rather than a university desktop. There's also the issue of once the uni have put the software on their computers then it may be accessed by other students, not just you.
    To be honest, I'm rather bemused at what seems a frankly selfish attitude.

ReputationRep:
    Laptops are usually cheaper than software. Last year, I was given a piece of software (usb stick) which costs £950. None of the software I require is cheap.
    doesnt the software still have to be purchased to put on the laptop for you though. and yes as fls said, if the software is put on certain uni pcs that will benefit other students who mayt be there now or in the future.

i think you should be a bit more greatful for the help that is being offered.

laptops arent just given out to people that would prefer one. its on a need basis. i got a laptop because i was doing a teaching course - more than half of it was placement based. ok it was a bit of a pain at times being so heavy, and trying to get the bus with a million other things to get to school but i could not have done the course without that laptop. i got enough stick for problems caused by my disability as it was (from my tutor on the course - granted she did not know of my problems).

but it seems this is how they assess your need - the only solution for me was a laptop. for you there is assessed to be other solutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden)
    doesnt the software still have to be purchased to put on the laptop for you though. and yes as fls said, if the software is put on certain uni pcs that will benefit other students who mayt be there now or in the future.

i think you should be a bit more greatful for the help that is being offered.

laptops arent just given out to people that would prefer one. its on a need basis. i got a laptop because i was doing a teaching course - more than half of it was placement based. ok it was a bit of a pain at times being so heavy, and trying to get the bus with a million other things to get to school but i could not have done the course without that laptop. i got enough stick for problems caused by my disability as it was (from my tutor on the course - granted she did not know of my problems).

but it seems this is how they assess your need - the only solution for me was a laptop. for you there is assessed to be other solutions.

seems pretty clear that the uni has to buy the software to make their course material accessible to the OP. They might want to buy a few more 20" screens as well so there's a choice of places to work. Same as them having to get ramp put in if the student can't get in the door! the student does not buy the ramp, the uni does it. as someone else has said - this may help other students too to have the uni buy it. if the software is needed for the individual work like essays and projects done at home then a computer is needed to run the software. it could be argued though that all students need a computer at home these days so why should the DSA fork out for any computer? if the software is on a usb stick and the desktops are not able to run it , the the uni could maybe loan a laptop on campus. there's some unis that have laptops for any student to borrow. contact the disability office at the uni and state what is needed.
    Or just pay the difference between desktop and laptop. i think £110 to get a laptop is a pretty good deal.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just point out that if any of you have bothered to read the thread, I am NOT asking for your opinion - I am asking for help. Last time I checked, NONE of you knew my situation?

Might as well close this one.

They might want to buy a few more 20" screens as well so
    I've been told that they do have a few, but I have not been told if there are any in the library. Plus there's the problem of me being able to access one with the software I need whenever I need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FLS84)
    To be honest, I'm rather bemused at what seems a frankly selfish attitude.
    You think it's wrong that I'm asking for something I need? It's not want here. What exactly am I meant to do if I have to work with other people and there are no computers in the library? Just kick others off?

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I answered your questions from the viewpoint of someone who processes DSA applications and needs assessments. You just chose not to like my answer.

ReputationRep:
    You didn't answer it.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just point out that if any of you have bothered to read the thread, I am NOT asking for your opinion - I am asking for help. Last time I checked, NONE of you knew my situation?

Might as well close this one.

I've been told that they do have a few, but I have not been told if there are any in the library. Plus there's the problem of me being able to access one with the software I need whenever I need it.

It's the uni's responsibilty to sort out the problem you have identified with your access to their computing facilities. You should talk to the disability office about what you need. If you were a wheelchair user and visited the uni and realised that you would not be able to get into the computer labs, or that the desks were too high or something then the 'adjustments' are done by the university, not the DSA.

You need to talk to the uni library services about the book scanning issue - again, this discussion of your needs can done though the disability office - the cost of providing alternative format course materials that all students are expected to use is met by the university as part of the course costs. The cost of alternative format items that you choose based on projects that you have chosen to do comes from the DSA.

The additional time and extra time question can be addressed by contacting the disability office. You asked for help - this is it: discuss your needs with the disability officer at the university. If after that you are not satified with the outcome, then complain the the vice-chancellor of the university.

ReputationRep:
    Nice to see that you (and everyone else) has completely misundertsood what I'm asking here. If you bothered to read the thread, you'd see that I was asking how I appeal this decision - even someone (who is an assessor and works for RNIB/Action for the blind) agrees that the decision is wrong. And the assessor I had doesn't have a clue about my condition. (even my parents understand more and neither of them are assessors)

ReputationRep:
    Your appeal would be laughed out the water. Middlesex know what they're doing, they're QAG-approved, which is the governing body of DSA.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.