Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The assessor didn't know what he was doing - he didn't read the form that I had to send into them. (if he did, then he'll understand why I need at least 25% extra time and rest breaks) He read some of the medical evidence, but that was it. And he didn't understand what at least one of my results mean.

ReputationRep:
    I've been down this route before, with my friend. She too needed special adjustments made to university computers everytime she used them, and a large screen. She even needed the colours inverted. She appealed twice, and lost both times.

DSA is supposed to put you on a level playing field. So your argument of what do you do if you need a computer but someone else is on it is already dead. You wait, like everybody else.

If you need help setting up the computer to your requirements every time you use it, the librarian etc will be taught to do it, and you can ask them.

She received a five page letter stating the reasons that she couldn't have a laptop, and she tried again for one this year, but was rejected again.

If I was you, I'd either pay the difference, or get used to having to share. A laptop would make your life easier, but not having one does not disadvantage you any further then it does anyone else without one. The university is prepared, it already has computers to meet your needs. You won't get a laptop as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Controversial)
    A laptop would make your life easier, but not having one does not disadvantage you any further then it does anyone else without one. The university is prepared, it already has computers to meet your needs. You won't get a laptop as well.
    It will disadvantage me. How the hell am I meant to do work when I'm ill and can't even sit up? Admittedly, that's been rare for the last few weeks, but still it does happen.

She even needed the colours inverted.
    That's easy to do. But with me, it's not having the colours inverted - it's having certain colours for background and text. (black for text and anything bar white for background)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    It will disadvantage me. How the hell am I meant to do work when I'm ill and can't even sit up? Admittedly, that's been rare for the last few weeks, but still it does happen.
    They will respond to that claim with that if you are frequently to ill to sit up you would be too ill to work on a laptop, and should make arrangements with the university to do work at a later date.

I appreciate inverting colours is quite simple, but as universities print on green and yellow paper as standard for people with eye conditions, I don't think that'd be relevant either.

I was sharing knowledge with you, so that if you do decide to appeal, you have realistic expectations and know what to expect them to say. Please be respectful in your response or I won't bother.

ReputationRep:
    Students like the OP are what give other people a bad name.

The assessor and SFE will stand their ground over this. You won't win.

ReputationRep:
    I don't quite understand why everyone in this thread is ganging up (and yes, I do feel that's what it is) against the OP. I agree that a laptop would be unsuited to OP's needs, but the fact is that for a piece of software that costs £110 for a single site license is likely to cost a heck of a lot more to implement network-wide (a site license for around 50 computers I would guess would be low £xxxx). In purely financial terms it would be more cost-effective in this sense to provide a laptop (or desktop) with this software on it just for the OP's usage.

EDIT: In the interests of openness I left the above; though after re-reading I see I was mistaken regarding the software cost when that was actually to upgrade to a laptop (I think). In which case, I take back what I said.

And also (this is specifically to Taiko), I think it's absolutely appalling the way you are coming across -- your posts read as if you find this situation humorous, and that it's a good thing it's so hard to appeal a decision or to get another assessment. Frankly, the system is absolutely appalling and the fact that one assessor can decide a person's needs leaving them with no recourse is absolutely disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is TempusV, I see students doing this day in day out. Because I see students like the OP who think having a disability means they can have whatever they like, I lose all sympathy. This is precisely what the OP is doing here.

The process of DSA is that all medical/education evidence is provided to the assessment centre in advance. Those access centres are then able to research the course details, and from there base their recommendations on these. Given it's a computing course, all computers should have the facility to run the recommended software and this should be pre-installed onto a students workspace. Under the DDA, the university must ensure that disabled students have access to suitable equipment to meet their needs, which in this case the university do. Based on all of this, the desktop for me is perfectly suitable. There are no placements involved, so the OP can set the desktop up and work from home if required. There is no justification for a laptop purchase, and to be honest it's actually a lucky thing they're being offered an upgrade.

ReputationRep:
    Taiko: I apologise if I read the initial post wrongly, but I was under the impression that the OP would be required to use a Desktop computer on campus -- not necessarily a desktop provided for their sole use. As in my above post I agree fully with a desktop being provided in this case.

I can understand where you're coming from; it drives me crazy when I hear from my other friends who have applied for DSA (two of them, both with dyslexia) who have already been assessed and granted laptops/printers etc. which they really don't need. To put this in perspective I only had my assessment for my condition a few weeks ago, and I went into that wanting the diagnosis for itself -- confirmation of what I thought. Being able to get support officially is great, but for some people it is the sole motivation and I don't agree with that at all.

Apologies for thinking the worst of you, but some of the posts you made just irked me a little

ReputationRep:
    Frankly, it's not surprising that your parents know more about your condition than the DSA assessors. They're your parents. But then, the assessors only need to have enough about your condition to think of solutions about how to put you on a level playing field.
    I can only think that you went in there with a list of absolute demands. I know NOONE who has come out of a DSA assessment and made the comments you have.
    Every student has to put up with potential 'computer room full' scenarios, therefore giving you a laptop gives you an ADVANTAGE over the majority, which is not what DSA is supposed to do.

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me very much of a student who started this issue with our LEA when we wouldn't purchase a home recording studio until DSA for his Music Production course. We always stand our ground though, harassing people will not change opinions. In actual fact, it may make us decide to withdraw all support for you, as LEA's/SFE have that power under the regulations if you show yourself as unfit to receive support.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh, what a thread full of sweeping generalisations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    Reminds me very much of a student who started this issue with our LEA when we wouldn't purchase a home recording studio until DSA for his Music Production course. We always stand our ground though, harassing people will not change opinions. In actual fact, it may make us decide to withdraw all support for you, as LEA's/SFE have that power under the regulations if you show yourself as unfit to receive support.
    I'm struggling to understand how any assessor could even consider providing that as a 'reasonable adjustment'. It sounds unbelievable; even more unbelievable that the student seems to think that he should get it!

(Original post by swiftuk)
    Gosh, what a thread full of sweeping generalisations.
    I disagree with some of the things in this thread too, but I don't think there are any generalisations in the thread. From what I've read almost everything has been said in a way that is geared towards this particular situation and others that are relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TempusV)
    I disagree with some of the things in this thread too, but I don't think there are any generalisations in the thread. From what I've read almost everything has been said in a way that is geared towards this particular situation and others that are relevant.
    Generalisations have no bearing on whether to agree or disagree with some of the conclusion drawn from them. However, they are a poor basis to form conclusions from.

That said, I can understand Taiko's behaviour given the news about their council department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftuk)
    Generalisations have no bearing on whether to agree or disagree with some of the conclusion drawn from them. However, they are a poor basis to form conclusions from.

That said, I can understand Taiko's behaviour given the news about their council department.
    I think you mis-understood my post. What generalisations are you referring to?

ReputationRep:
    And yet again, the cowardly neg-repper who isn't brave enough to leave his name or a reason strikes.

I would be interested to see what would happen if forum users expressed similar views on (e.g.) the international students sub-forums as they do on the 'Disabled Students' one.

ReputationRep:
    Titch,

If all you want is how to go about appealing, I suggest you contact the QAG for DSA assessment centres.

That's the over arching body who assess the capability of assessment centres and assessors, and as what you're actually trying to do is say that the assessor you saw was incompetent and thus feel you need reassessing, you'd need to go through the supervisory body.

That said, it is probably worth you while taking account of some of the things that have been said in this thread regarding the role of DSA and the responsibilities of the university under DDA as it seems potentially you don't fully understand the division of responsibility between the two, which is completely understandable if you are new to the system.

Appealing is going to be a complete nightmare, so it's worth being very sure you're right before putting a lot of effort in to simply be told you're barking up the wrong tree.

Equally, as extra time is organised through the university it may be simpler trying to make progress on that front directly with the university rather than via a DSA assessor. While uni exam boards take DSA recommendations into account regarding exam timing, the details are worked out locally with the disability office, the student and their department.

ReputationRep:
    Mean, I can highlight this with someone from QAG, seeing as I work alongside them. In fact, I've mentioned bits of this thread to them today, andhad the exact answers I've given. You have the option of an upgrade at a low expense, a desktop is suitable for your course-related needs, whereas the laptop is just a desirable thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    Mean, I can highlight this with someone from QAG, seeing as I work alongside them. In fact, I've mentioned bits of this thread to them today, andhad the exact answers I've given.
    Presumably you remove all identifying features, and don't mention the website?

Then again, even if you didn't do the above (as unprofessional as that would be), you still would not know the OP's full individual circumstances, so either way the best advice for the OP to follow is to either talk to the assessment centre, QAG, or any of the other myriad organisations they could in order to understand better.

ReputationRep:
    Working alongside a QAG director who knows about the thread, everything was mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...I'd be tempted to put a sticky on this forum reminding people that it can be accessed by anyone. You do realise that there's a difference between the above and actually drawing the attention of non-students?

Also, if anyone wants to speak to someone from DSA-QAG, their LEA or assessment centre there are plenty of ways for them to do so openly and anonymously (e.g. shared forums)...I was under the impression that people came here to seek advice from other students/would-be students.

As you're so free with asking people to confirm which LEA/assessment centre they're under, you wont mind me asking which Council/bodies you work for?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.