Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's a piece of software to change background colour. I know with some programs it's possible to change the background, but not all of them.

It's something I can't do without, unless I can somehow get hold of a grey overlay thing. Even that may not work. (have used yellow before and it wasn't dark enough)

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, it wasn't included because it's pre installed or something.

I have talked to the assessor who has agreed I can use e-books or get electronic versions from publishers instead of books.

Apparently, the exam concessions are ultimately up to disability support?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Apparently, it wasn't included because it's pre installed or something.

I have talked to the assessor who has agreed I can use e-books or get electronic versions from publishers instead of books.

Apparently, the exam concessions are ultimately up to disability support?
    The Disability/Student support teams are responsible for granting/implementing any exam concessions, yes. I'm sure about that, because I haven't yet had my needs assessment for DSA; but I already have my Learning Adjustments plan from the Disability Support team for all academic-related things.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I have just got an amended report through - they've said I can have a laptop, but it's only 15.4" - they know I can't read a screen of that size without getting eye strain. (even on lowest resolution) So, I now have to borrow a 17" one and see how easy that is to use or possibly an 18.4" one. Argh.

ReputationRep:
    A 19" laptop? That's pretty large... perhaps they are looking at it from a purely practical sense -- ie. there is not enough space on tables in lectures or tutorials, how would you carry it around (believe me, the cases are huge for laptops that size!) I'm not saying it's right, but I can understand their reason for offering a 15".

Wouldn't a magnification software be okay to use in this case?

ReputationRep:
    Magnification doesn't help me at all. I've tried it before and still got tired after using it.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, I'm only guessing what they maybe thinking since I don't know your exact situation .

ReputationRep:
    Finally sorted! Borrowed a 17" laptop and with the right settings can use it with no problems, so will be getting one.

ReputationRep:
    Now it has to be agreed by SFE, and given the original recommendation for the desktop, I would doubt they'd be willing to agree straight away.

ReputationRep:
    Is it SFE or my LEA? My report says LEA. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Is it SFE or my LEA? My report says LEA. :confused:
    I think some of the forms used are slightly out of date; it says LEA on my application form and I was told to just put down the details for Student Finance England. I'd guess it's just a confusion of terminology but it might be best to give them a call and check.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

Does anyone whether it's possible to get my own laptop and get DSA to pay what they were originally going to pay for the desktop? They said I can have a laptop, but will have to pay £400 for it - I don't have that kind of money and neither do my parents. It would also allow me to get used to using a touchpad a week or two before uni starts.

ReputationRep:
    If it's suitable to run the recommended software, then it's possible to purchase your own. If you did, it's your responsibility to ensure adequate warranty and insurance, as if anything goes wrong with it you're on your own.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I did have someone at SFE tell me no - this was just before they said "I have no idea what you're talking about".

ReputationRep:
    It's in the notes for guidance. You would have to pay the money up front though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.