Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ive been losing weight for about 2 months now, and have been doing it slowly as i never really exercised or anything before. So far ivbe lost about 9 pounds by cutting down what ive been eating and exercising about 5 times a week.
    At first the weight was coming off quite quick, but over the past few weeks its stayed the same although im doing exactly the same as before? Any ways i can speed up the rest of the weight coming off? I was to lose about another 6-7 pounds?

ReputationRep:
    You've likely reached your maintenance energy balance. You either need to eat less AND/OR exercise more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    You've likely reached your maintenance energy balance. You either need to eat less AND/OR exercise more.
    I dunno whether i can manage on eating any less, im doing it with like an online diet thing, and they said i should eat no more than 1600 calories a day, but ive managed to stick around 1000 a day, if i eat any less i think ill be passing out..

ReputationRep:
    You need to start increasing the intensity or amount of time you exercise.

ReputationRep:
    You tend to lose weight more quickly at the start of a new regime as your body adapts, and then it begins to take its time in coming off. Annoying, I know, but slow and steady progress makes you more likely to keep weight off. I think keeping up the healthy diet and exercise is the way to go, and congrats on all the progress you've made so far. (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katechar_X)
    I dunno whether i can manage on eating any less, im doing it with like an online diet thing, and they said i should eat no more than 1600 calories a day, but ive managed to stick around 1000 a day, if i eat any less i think ill be passing out..
    1000kcal is NOT enough. Really.

What is your height & weight?

What's your gym routine like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    1000kcal is NOT enough. Really.

What is your height & weight?

What's your gym routine like?
    Im about 5 foot 9 and weigh about 11stone 8 now..and i cant afford the gym..so i do a ministry of sound exercise video about 5-6 times a week for 45 minutes, then i walk everywhere etc

ReputationRep:
    Ive been losing weight for about 2 months now, and have been doing it slowly as i never really exercised or anything before. So far ivbe lost about 9 pounds by cutting down what ive been eating and exercising about 5 times a week.
    At first the weight was coming off quite quick, but over the past few weeks its stayed the same although im doing exactly the same as before? Any ways i can speed up the rest of the weight coming off? I was to lose about another 6-7 pounds?
    looks like you have plateaued.

When this happens to me i always do the following:
    1. Find your maintenance calories to maintain your current bodyweight (find this using a online calc)
    2. Eat this amount of calories for 1 week.
    3. Take a week off from the gym during this week.
    4. After the week is over go back on your diet.

You should start losing again. Never failed to work for me when i used to plateau after about 12 weeks

ReputationRep:
    Im about 5 foot 9 and weigh about 11stone 8 now..and i cant afford the gym..so i do a ministry of sound exercise video about 5-6 times a week for 45 minutes, then i walk everywhere etc
    Definitely do not eat just 1000kcal. Move up to around 1500ish or so.

You have to do something a little more intense than an exercise video. Seriously.

When can you join a gym? Starting uni soon? Gyms can be pretty inexpensive; £20 a month. Is this still too much?

Anyway, you can do some more intensive exercise than a video. Go for long runs and every so often do some intense high speed sprints.

ReputationRep:
    Gyms in your university should be free, I know Cardiff and all the unis in my area, even UWIC, offer a free gym membership? Plus there'll be clubs like dance/rowing surely?

I got stuck a few years back when I lost around 2 stone in total, I got stuck after one, so I stopped exercising for one week, and ate just two bowls of cereal and fruit for a week. Continued my normal routine after this, and the weight fell off x

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.