Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DBazza)
    I think he meant that they were some of the questions he was asked in the filter interview, rather than questions he needed answering now :confused:
    You're probably right DBazza... This was what set me off though:

(Original post by TownFan Jamie)
    Don't mean to hijack the thread
    Why would simply stating the questions mean Jamie was hijacking the thread? Also :confused:.

Jamie? Shed some light please?

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vizzini)
    You're probably right DBazza... This was what set me off though:

Why would simply stating the questions mean Jamie was hijacking the thread? Also :confused:.

Jamie? Shed some light please?

Vizzini
    Oops! I did mean that those were some questions that I was asked (and was able to answer correctly) sorry for the mix up Vizz!

I said about hijacking the thread as there is a filter interview revision thread where I could have posted those questions to show others what was involved. Which I will be doing soon!

Sorry again for the mix up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TownFanJamie)
    Oops! I did mean that those were some questions that I was asked (and was able to answer correctly) sorry for the mix up Vizz!

I said about hijacking the thread as there is a filter interview revision thread where I could have posted those questions to show others what was involved. Which I will be doing soon!

Sorry again for the mix up
    Jamie,

No worries - my bad! Thanks for setting me straight.

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Aptitude was a joke, i knew it would be because i've always enjoyed being tested in ways such as IQ tests and motor-efficiency and so on, scored an avere of 155 or more in everything. And was told that when i come back to re-apply (yes i was sent home after the hangar exercises) to apply for pilot so perhaps i'll consider that in a year or two.

In the mean-time i'm training to be a teacher (starting Sept) and will see how that goes.

Cheers for all the help Viz, much appreciated.

Hi Jason,

Happy New Year! So, how do you think it went? What was your impression of the whole thing? Have you been caught up in this change to the aptitude assessments? Questions, questions, questions... Let us know how things are going!

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Hi rafmum,

Secondly, there is an RJP coming up before your OASC, it's 16 - 18 Feb 2010. I was told before Christmas that it was full; however, it's always worth expressing an interest to your AFCO to see if they can get you on- people do drop out for various reasons. Make sure they get you on the reserve list. We run 6 a year, so there's generally one every 2 months.

Vizzini
    Hi,
    Managed to book my RJP today - They have booked me on for March 30th, so I shall look forward to that, its unfortunate that its not before my OASC but I am hoping this wont make a difference to my application.
    Plus I made it official today and changed ABM my first choice on my application - Woo!:woo:
    rafmum

ReputationRep:
    Plus I made it official today and changed ABM my first choice on my application - Woo!
    rafmum
    Out of interest - how do you amend your choices on your application prior to OASC? I'm guessing you contact your local afco

ReputationRep:
    Hi Viz,

Thanks for all the fantastic info in this thread. Put my application for ABM through back in November,along with WSO and WSOp. I've looked through the thread and couldn't find any specific answers so I was just wondering if you knew whether there were a variety of stations to be based at at home in the UK as an ABM or whether it was mostly just Boulmer and Waddlington?

I'm personally very interested by the Space and Surveillance streams, although I saw that you put that normally people streamed for Space usually have a Surveillance background. Is there any real chance in being streamed Space if you're straight out of IOT?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by treen74)
    Out of interest - how do you amend your choices on your application prior to OASC? I'm guessing you contact your local afco
    Hi treen74,
    Yes I contacted my AFCO. As my file has already been transferred to OASC ( As I am attening Feb 23rd) they advised that I contact Cranwell direct ( They did provide a contact Telephone number) and ask them to amend my branch choices on my application.
    rafmum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rafmum)
    Hi,
    Managed to book my RJP today - They have booked me on for March 30th, so I shall look forward to that, its unfortunate that its not before my OASC but I am hoping this wont make a difference to my application.
    Plus I made it official today and changed ABM my first choice on my application - Woo!:woo:
    rafmum
    Hi rafmum,

As I think I've mentioned on here previously I didn't attend an RJP until around a month before I began IOT! There should be more than enough info for you on here to make a good fist of that side of OASC, so don't be overly concerned.

I know it's early yet, but best of luck! You can tell me all about it when you come up for your RJP, I'll be at the Meet & Greet.

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jason.faceplant)
    Cheers for all the help Viz, much appreciated.
    You're very welcome, any time!

(Original post by Jason.faceplant)
    ([I] was sent home after the hangar exercises)... [and was told to] apply for pilot so perhaps i'll consider that in a year or two..
    Still,(my changes: [...] and emphasis) at least it's not all bad news . Best of luck with the teaching in the meantime!

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoffs)
    I've looked through the thread and couldn't find any specific answers so I was just wondering if you knew whether there were a variety of stations to be based at at home in the UK as an ABM or whether it was mostly just Boulmer and Waddlington?
    Hi stoffs,

Welcome to the thread!

I'm sure I mentioned a few more than that previously? :confused: The answer is yes, of course - with caveats. I've concentrated on the 'big 3' locations you could serve at (Boulmer, Scampton (plus No 1 ACC at Kirton-in-Lindsey) and Waddington; I'll come on to Fylingdales below), because they are the most visible and most likely locations for your first couple of tours.

Caveats: We have people, not to put to fine a point on it, all over the place... so I don't really want to list at which additional stations we're based (I don't know all of them either!). You are likely to spend several tours at RAF Boulmer, in a variety of roles. That's because there are several ABM units based here - the CRC, the SABM and also our overall headquarters staffs - RAF Boulmer is, pretty much, 'the home of' ABM :p:.

(Original post by stoffs)
    I'm personally very interested by the Space and Surveillance streams, although I saw that you put that normally people streamed for Space usually have a Surveillance background. Is there any real chance in being streamed Space if you're straight out of IOT?
    We do now stream Space directly off the ABMSC, so the short answer is, again, yes. The longer answer is that since the majority of the uptake has so far been Combat Ready (ie second tour-ist) IDOs and there are only a few Space courses (not sure how many, I'll check) at Fylingdales each year, the draw for personnel is smaller than Weapons and Surveillance. They are the biggest draws off the ABMSC, with Weapons being the larger, just because of the number of posts that need to be filled in those roles.

Hope all that helps!

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Afternoon all! Just received my letter informing me I have OASC on May 9th!

To put a timeframe on things... I originally applied on October 12th, 2009 and by the time OASC comes around it will have been more or less 8 months!

Couldn't be more pleased! One step closer to the dream and becoming an ABM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TownFanJamie)
    Afternoon all! Just received my letter informing me I have OASC on May 9th!

To put a timeframe on things... I originally applied on October 12th, 2009 and by the time OASC comes around it will have been more or less 8 months!

Couldn't be more pleased! One step closer to the dream and becoming an ABM
    Great news Jamie! And thanks for putting that on here - it's a useful example for other people considering the application process.

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.

I was just browsing when I came across this thread and thought I'd pop in.

I'm currently employed by the RAF as an Aerospace Systems Operator (ASOp). It is the non-commissioned side of TG12, of which ABMs are part.

I currently work in the School of Aerospace Battle Management at RAF Boulmer as a Sim Ops Pilot and my job involves working the simulator equipment on which ABMs are trained in the Weapons Controller role. If any of you guys are successful in your applications you could end up with me on the other end of the comms!

Anyway, I just thought I'd say that I'm here to offer any help I can regarding Weapons Control along with Vizzini, and I hope to see you in the SABM!

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR,

Shameless self-bump for my new avatar. We're now officially branded! There will be some merchandise featuring this new logo produced over the next couple of months, too. If anyone's interested, PM me and I'll let you know what's what.

Vizzini
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You mean I could buy something with a Fighter Controller badge on it and pretend to be the 'third seat in the cockpit'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    You mean I could buy something with a Fighter Controller badge on it and pretend to be the 'third seat in the cockpit'?
    Crikey PS, you're showing your age now. We already did that banter!

(Original post by ProStacker)
    It is a strange world our mighty '3rd seat in the cockpit' bretheren occupy.
    (16 Jul 2009!)

In any case, you could have something with an ABM badge on it and, with FGR-4, you can now pretend to be the second seat in the cockpit...

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Hey Vizz,

Quick question, probably not in the right place but I figured SOMEONE reading this will know. I have OASC on May 9th and have just been offered a teaching job in Poland until June 15th. I can definitely get the time off to come back for OASC but, what I want to know is, is it a problem for the RAF if I teach abroad for 3 and a half months before I go for OASC?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Anyone got a Star Trek uniform I could buy instead?

ReputationRep:
    PS are you taking a swipe at the almighty ABM?! I may not have made it through cranwell this time but I'll get there one day and earn my uniform :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.