Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    The 4 year degree's a masters (a Scottish degree with honours, for example, doesn't count), and you won't get paid appropriately until your degree's confirmed.
    Wzz,

Nice one, thank you.

I should point out that merely holding a Master's doesn't necessarily count for anything. I was declined any seniority for mine as it 'wasn't relevant to my Branch of choice' (mine is politics...). Having said that, any allocation seems to be fairly arbitrary; I know of an ABM with a PGCE for teaching Physics, which was credited - not sure how that relates either, he's not a Weaponeer...:confused:

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vizzini)
    Wzz,

Nice one, thank you.

I should point out that merely holding a Master's doesn't necessarily count for anything. I was declined any seniority for mine as it 'wasn't relevant to my Branch of choice' (mine is politics...). Having said that, any allocation seems to be fairly arbitrary; I know of an ABM with a PGCE for teaching Physics, which was credited - not sure how that relates either, he's not a Weaponeer...:confused:

Vizzini
    Depending on when you went through the system you maybe have been done. It clearly states now in the relevant JSP that if you have a masters of any degree subject your progression to Flt Lt will follow as outlined in Wzz's post.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It's a subject I studied at length due to my unusual method of entry, and there's no mention anywhere of the degree needing to be relevant. It has to be a "proper" masters, so not an MSc accrued over 4 years in Scotland, for example, and it can't be a top-up to an existing degree. But if you went to an English university, and did a full 4 year course to end up with any sort of masters, that counts.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Wzz and Vizzini! I'm going a slightly roundabout route on mine (started the degree at uni and am finishing on the OU) so will probably find out later. TBH I'm more concerned about getting in at the moment than I am about speed of progression, so if the degree doesn't make a difference that's fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    ...and you won't get paid appropriately until your degree's confirmed.
    That implies that you will get paid appropriately at some point [looks around for her missing payrise...] :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    It has to be a "proper" masters, so not an MSc accrued over 4 years in Scotland, for example, and it can't be a top-up to an existing degree.
    So that's where I dipped out. Sounds like Dhalgren might be out of luck as well. Bummer.

Vizzini
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    So that's where I dipped out. Sounds like Dhalgren might be out of luck as well. Bummer.
    I wasn't terribly clear; it can be a degree where you do 3 years and leave with a BSc or 4 to get an MSc, but it can't be a separate masters course tacked on to an existing first degree. It can't be your second degree, if you see what I mean.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by anony_miss)
    That implies that you will get paid appropriately at some point [looks around for her missing payrise...] :rolleyes:
    Must admit, all of mine, even the notoriously awkward flying pay increments, has arrived exactly on time and worked properly...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    I wasn't terribly clear; it can be a degree where you do 3 years and leave with a BSc or 4 to get an MSc, but it can't be a separate masters course tacked on to an existing first degree. It can't be your second degree, if you see what I mean.
    That's odd---I would consider most of the standalone masters courses I looked at to be more challenging than my fourth year.
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Must admit, all of mine, even the notoriously awkward flying pay increments, has arrived exactly on time and worked properly...!
    I'm perfectly happy with my level of pay, but if they say they're going to give it to me, it'd be nice to see it happen! The worst is not knowing that you're not being charged correctly for accomodation or paying the right amount of tax which is then all taken out at once :eek: No new shoes that month..

ReputationRep:
    My TAT Bs went "missing" somewhere along the line meaning I only started getting paid as an SAC this month despite having my seniority since November.

I'm getting backpay though so it's all good!

ReputationRep:

Vizzini
    Ah well, with all the budget issues maybe being in the bargain basement will help me get in

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mav,

Thank you for your comments and congrats on passing the filter! Hope to see you up here on the RJP and good luck for OASC when it comes around. Please do keep us updated on your porgress.

BTW, do you feel the need?

Vizzini
    The need for what? the need for OASC lol I can't wait, up to Boulmer on Tuesday, going to be really good! Quick question though, may seem like stupid one, but i'd rather ask it then be a numpty.

What do i need to bring on the RJP? I know the officers mess have clothing rules don't they?? just curious... or does it matter?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Your name is Maverick.....Top Gun....I Feel The Need....The Need for Speed.....Classic !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maverick13291)
    The need for what? the need for OASC lol I can't wait, up to Boulmer on Tuesday, going to be really good! Quick question though, may seem like stupid one, but i'd rather ask it then be a numpty.

What do i need to bring on the RJP? I know the officers mess have clothing rules don't they?? just curious... or does it matter?

Thanks
    The officers mess does have rules, I suggest you bring a tie and shirt at least. Better to have a whole suit handy though
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    90% of officers' messes will be quite happy with you in trousers that aren't jeans, some sort of shirt, and smart shoes. If there's something formal on you'd need a jacket and tie, but if you bring a full suit you can always dress down a bit if it's allowed.

ReputationRep:
    Or you can do what one of the weapon controllers here did and wear a full tuxedo because he got told off for not wearing a collar!

ReputationRep:
    ...up to Boulmer on Tuesday, going to be really good! Quick question though, may seem like stupid one, but i'd rather ask it then be a numpty.

(Original post by Wallazabal)
    Or you can do what one of the weapon controllers here did and wear a full tuxedo because he got told off for not wearing a collar!
    Hmm, whilst you'd make quite an entrance, I wouldn't recommend it! Minimum attire, as Wzz says, is collared shirt / polo shirt and chinos / slacks; definitely NO trainers or jeans. I would strongly recommend you have a jacket and tie in addition for the daytime as well as the Meet & Greet tomorrow night. A suit is useful as it covers all eventualities - you can dress it up or down as required.

The need for what?
    (Original post by charley24)
    Your name is Maverick.....Top Gun....I Feel The Need....The Need for Speed.....Classic !
    :p:

Mav,

You need an education! Alternatively, I'm too old for this sh... I'd also commend 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail', 'Apocalypse Now', 'United 93' (has a useful dramatisation of a US CRC) as starters for 10... any other recommendations / suggestions?

Vizzini
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Full Metal Jacket
    Blackhawk Down
    Master and Commander

and of course...........

Starship Troopers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Starship Troopers
    Great book, great film; but the sequel was dire.

ReputationRep:
    :p:

Mav,

You need an education! Alternatively, I'm too old for this sh... I'd also commend 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail', 'Apocalypse Now', 'United 93' (has a useful dramatisation of a US CRC) as starters for 10... any other recommendations / suggestions?

Vizzini

Haha, i was going to say need for speed but i didn't want anyone to think im lame by saying it haha. Thanks for the advice on the clothing vizzini, im bringing my suit up because i don't want to ruin it on the train ride, but wearing smart stuff anyway so should be all ok. Just the AFCO's don't tell anyone this so thank god you guys are on here lol.

See you this evening vizzini, if you see someone walking round saying "are you vizini?" lol that wwould most probably be me haha :p:

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.