Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks for the Boulmer hospitality folks, the RJP was fantastic: answered a lot of questions for me and confirmed that it's definitely where I want to be. Tomorrow I'll be back to the grindstone with renewed vigour.

Now I just need to decide where to put my sticker!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Like above, thank you for all your hospitality it was absolutly fantastic. Definetly going for ABM and been working hard on the fitness woo! got my 1.5 miles down to just under 10 mins.. YES! lol. just gotta do it on a trewadmill now, which i find harder... maybe because its more boring? who knows!

But again thank you for a fantastic RJP wish i could have stayed, but who knows may be there in a year or so.

Mav:cool:

ReputationRep:
    That's crazy Mav, that you find it harder on the treadmill! My time on the tread is under 10 mins now, happy with that

Just cramming a lot now for the interview etc! OASC in 5 weeks. Woot.

ReputationRep:
    Hope everyone had a happy Easter!

It was fantastic to meet several of you guys at the RJP - particularly the ones who've been lurking... :cool:! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed yourselves as well as finding it useful.

Best of luck for your endeavours; hopefully we'll see you up here again on a more permanent basis!

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Hey All,

Vizzini, great thread, has taken just almost 3 hours of reading and the main points seem to be cups of tea, films, and Mavs lack of life knowledge !

Im currently revising for my filter interview (Tues 13th) as ABM and have just a few questions:

1. on page 6 you mention a target of the amount of ABMs in service, has this been reached yet?
    2. you also mentioned yearly recruitment targets, is this the calender year, academic year or financial year and as such has it been met?

Now, for some slightly more erlevant questions;

a) Do you think anything will change with recruitment to ABM or the RAF in general due to the defence review?
    b) You mention that when 'not on console' Officers will be doing their secondary roles, is this the same for all types of ABM? The reason I ask is Having answered the roles of ABM in the interview, I dont want them to probe into more detail of what I would be doing when, for example, there is no aircraft for me to direct (as a WC)?

Cheers!

Oh and finally, do RJPs often get cancelled?

ReputationRep:
    Pointsy,

Good banter to start there; I've addressed your queries below:

(Original post by Pointsy)
    1. on page 6 you mention a target of the amount of ABMs in service, has this been reached yet? - To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't been achieved yet; I'll have to check this and facts below tomorrow though...

2. you also mentioned yearly recruitment targets, is this the calender year, academic year or financial year and as such has it been met? - Again, to the best of my knowledge, this target has not yet been reached. I believe, but again am not 100% sure, that the recruiting year runs Apr - Mar. As of last week, ABM was still open for recruitment - that was from the horse's mouth, I of R.

a) Do you think anything will change with recruitment to ABM or the RAF in general due to the defence review? - Finger, wind...? There are rumours of an overall reduction in numbers to 31,000 for the RAF - that's unconfirmed; there are rumours that there may be a reduction in recruiting targets for ABM next year as a result - again, unconfirmed. We're all going to have to wait and see. Too many factors affect this, starting with the General Election and working down... For ABM targets, the particular driver is the number of personnel into productive service and I don't think we've achieved the required level for WCs yet, for instance.

b) You mention that when 'not on console' Officers will be doing their secondary roles, is this the same for all types of ABM? The reason I ask is Having answered the roles of ABM in the interview, I dont want them to probe into more detail of what I would be doing when, for example, there is no aircraft for me to direct (as a WC)? - Secondary and Additional Duties are many and various and apply to officers of all branches. They range from Flight Commandering to being a member of a Mess Committee, to arranging Force Development events to running sports clubs or societies.

Oh and finally, do RJPs often get cancelled? - Exceedingly rarely!
    Hopefully that's more than enough ammunition for a Filter Interview! Good luck for Tuesday. Do you have a date for an RJP yet?

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    I like to start my threads on a high!

Thanks for the answers Vizzini.

On if they get cancelled: exceedingly rarely, ive obviously had a rather bad individual experience!
    Im currently booked onto the one at the end of June, which is a long wait from when I booked it last month, however following the not-so-great experience ive had, im no longer as bothered as I was. While I will come visit, im not going to be gutted if I miss out before OASC.

I have one other question for yourself. As part of the filter interview im likely to be asked about the UN, and in particular how the UKs involvement affects the RAF. On this topic I have an answer around the basis of:
    - the RAF can be called upon to act on behalf of the UK as part of these organisations.
    - some capacity of the RAF is always left available for use by the UN and as such this affects the amount of resources the UK/RAF can call upon for independant missions.
    - It also means forces can be sent on missions that the UK may not even agree with.

I was wondering what your take on my answer is? As im struggling to find any concrete answers. Also, how specifically it may affect ABMs?

And one general question for all the applicants out there, has anyone else heard that the Fitness Test at OASC has/soon will change? AS in from the MSF/Bleep test back to the 1.5mile run?

Cheers!

Ooh, another ps, is anyone else on here applying through Cambridge AFCO?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm also applying for ABM. I wouldn't worry about having the RJP before OASC. I passed my filter interview in January, medical in February and PJFT at the start of March. I'm still waiting for my OASC date. The fitness test for OASC has indeed changed, here is a thread about it.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1209627

ReputationRep:
    On if they get cancelled: exceedingly rarely, ive obviously had a rather bad individual experience! Im currently booked onto the one at the end of June...
    I'd be grateful if you'd elaborate - do you mean that you were only offered one in June despite booking last month, or have you been bumped off one because it's been cancelled? In any case you are correct - it's not [I]essential[I] to come on an RJP before OASC, but it is very useful!

I have one other question for yourself. As part of the filter interview im likely to be asked about the UN, and in particular how the UKs involvement affects the RAF. On this topic I have an answer around the basis of:
    - the RAF can be called upon to act on behalf of the UK as part of these organisations.
    - some capacity of the RAF is always left available for use by the UN and as such this affects the amount of resources the UK/RAF can call upon for independant missions.
    - It also means forces can be sent on missions that the UK may not even agree with.

I was wondering what your take on my answer is? As im struggling to find any concrete answers. Also, how specifically it may affect ABMs?
    I think you need to do a bit more research on the UN and in particular the UN Security Council; you also seem to be confusing the UN with NATO slightly. I'd also suggest you research the Kosovo campaign. Your last point about the UK being involved in missions the UK does not agree with is way off the mark... Perhaps you could google UK military involvement in the United Nations? This might help as a starter for 10...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your swift reply yet again Vizzini and thanks also to Sypher!

Firstly, Sypher, the thread posts seem sligghtly confused, it seems that the 1.5m run is done on a treadmill, is that your understanding?

Vizzini, on the first point, to elaborate, I would first like to say I dont mean to sound (too) bitter!
    I was actually on the RJP at the end of November, which I was booked on 8weeks in advance (co-incidently I found out about RJPs on this thread!). However when I did not recieve my paperwork I rung up my AFCO on 2 occasions where they informed me it was still on and the paperwork would be on its this. The second of these was less than a month beforehand. When I had not recieved the information some 10days before I phoned up my AFCO and after some investigation by themselves they informed me it had been cancelled. So, while maybe it was still on following the second phone call, they never actually let me know until I inquired.
    It was also rather annoying as I had delayed my trip to South America for the sole reason of attending the RJP, and this eventually meant, amongst other things, that we missed out on Machu Picchu.
    When I returned in March, I was then offered the course on the 30th which (unfortunatly) was the second day of my new job! The next date they could offer me after this is the one at the end of June.

On the second point, I agree, I definatly need to do more research. Thanks for the advice, and the link , which ,(at first sight) seems good. Ill investigate it all tomorrow and post any more queries on here

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Vizzini, having done some research on the area in question, I know understand the Security Council etc and have formulated the following answer:

The RAF is affected by the UKs involvement in the UN and NATO in numerous ways.
    - Firstly, the RAF have roles and responsibilities based upon NATO, as they are jointly responsible for policing NATO Area 1, rather than just UK airspace.
    - As well as this, UK forces can form part of joint UN or NATO forces on international missions. This coincides with part of the UKs defence vision (of which its delivery is the RAFs role), of strengthening international peace and security by being a force of good in the world. The RAF is particularly important in this due to Air Power. Air Power is the ability to project power from the air which thus affects the behaviours of people and the course of events. It provides the basis for contemporary war dominance as it pervades both Land and Maritime environments (so is essential for joint operations) and underpins the UKs ability to conduct operations anywhere at any time. With this, and Air Powers characteristics of Speed, Reach and Height, aircraft are often the first forces on a campaign and the least susceptible to damage or losses. These factors make aircraft vital to any UN or NATO force, and as the RAF is one of the strongest Air Forces in the world, its involvement is often high.
    - NATOs Kosovo campaign is not only an example of the RAFs involvement but also an excellent example of the role, characteristics, influence and even limitations of, Air Power.

For all those other applicants out there, i found this document: http://www.afa.org/media/reports/introduction.asp
    very useful. It is on the Kosovo air campaign and while slightly US bias and dominated, I found it very useful!

ReputationRep:
    hello Vizzini

Like Pointsy (good luck man) i have my filter interview coming up on the 15th April and ABM is my fisrt choice with ATC my second choice. I have just found and joined this site today and only skimmed through most of the posts as yet, so i will have a proper read shortly. It certainly looks helpful and already answered questions that i had.

However, i noticed you said very few people know much about ABM and that includes staff at AFCO. For my filter interview should i research much about ABM or just have general knowledge of it? Will i be asked much about what i know or why i want to be a ABM?

I probably should have read through the whole thread before rushing a question, but i will do so now and hopefully have some better questions.

Andy

ReputationRep:
    Hey AndyG, maybe I can help. I was given three (I think) pieces of A4 paper with the role of an ABM, career progression, bases etc. I studied this paper so that I had it melted into my mind. Although I had read this thread and found it very useful in devolping my understanding, the handout I got from the AFCO was sufficent to pass my filter interview.

You will be asked what you know about being an ABM. You will be asked where you could be based. You will be asked how, how long and where you will be trained. You will be asked about where they could stream you, and what those areas are. You will also be asked why you want to be an ABM.

Well actually, I was never directly asked most of those questions, but during my filter interview I managed to display what information I had learned. Maybe if I hadn't mentioned most of that stuff I would of been asked.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks sypher1985 thats very helpful. I've covered most of those things so its just a case of putting them in some order, learning it and being ready for the questions. Although, i was given no information by my AFCO on my choices. The only info i was given was the booklet on the aircraft and weapons plus the preperation for interview sheets.

So Vizzini i've spent most of my day reading through the thread and found it very helpful, thank you. There is so much info, a lot more than i would probably need at this stage but the more the merrier.

A few questions i've got,

For me to get a RJP all i need to do is ask my AFCO? I live in Northern Ireland, is that going to be a problem?

Not so much a question, just looking a bit of feedback.
    I remember reading (not sure of source) that the role of ABM was once questioned as to whether it was needed with the end of the cold war. This was soon answered with the 9/11attacks and that a new threat existed with this branch being the best suited to defend the UK against such attacks. Also with the threat of a terrorist attack in the UK at 'severe' the role of ABM could never have been more important. So does this mean the need for ABM is growing? Also from reading the thread today I have noticed how u described the Space Surveillance stream is growing, and the introduction of UAV's.

I know u've stated a lot about training etc and how long it takes. But i was just looking a average/approx time of the whole process, from OASC to becoming a fully qualified commissioned ABM? (providing you pass of course)

Andy

ReputationRep:
    The RAF is affected by the UKs involvement in the UN and NATO in numerous ways.
    - Firstly, the RAF have roles and responsibilities based upon NATO, as they are jointly responsible for policing NATO Area 1, rather than just UK airspace.
    Pointsy,

Your research has definitely helped you along and you're much clearer and accurate in your statements now. I would suggest you continue to develop your own thinking with regard to Air Power - you've made a start but you'll need to demonstrate your own opinions if you get to OASC.

Just a pointer about your first statement as it comes across slightly muddled. The UK is a NATO Member State and has responsibilities to that organisation. As such, the RAF is double-hatted with regard to Air Defence specifically - we have both NATO and national air defence roles. ABMs, among others, exercise UK Military Task 2.2 (more on Military Tasks here), the national role, and also the standing NATO task of Air Policing for Northern Region Air Policing Area 1. You were getting there, just needed to be clearer!

So, what do you think are the implications of the above for the RAF and ABMs in particular?

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your original RJP - it does sound like a sequence of unfortunate events. I'll do some digging about the Nov 09 RJP this week and get back to you.

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyG.)
    A few questions i've got,

For me to get a RJP all i need to do is ask my AFCO? I live in Northern Ireland, is that going to be a problem?

- Speak to your AFCO; it shouldn't really be too much of a problem, but they're the ones who'll know best!

I remember reading (not sure of source) that the role of ABM was once questioned as to whether it was needed with the end of the cold war. This was soon answered with the 9/11attacks and that a new threat existed with this branch being the best suited to defend the UK against such attacks. Also with the threat of a terrorist attack in the UK at 'severe' the role of ABM could never have been more important. So does this mean the need for ABM is growing?

- There is a story that after Cold War, in about 2000 or so, there were discussions about disestablishing the Fighter Control (as was) Branch, yes. Urban Legend has it that the proposal was on the table around 2001 when the planes went in. In the aftermath the Prime Minister was castigating the military over a perceived lack of capability to deal with a similar attack. Allegedly the CAS of the time slapped him down with a 'We've had it for years - they're called Fighter Controllers and they're doing it right now!'. So, the terrorist role is one which is taken very seriously. You'll have seen recent reports in various media about the number of false alarm scrambles we conduct - about one a month. However, the real growth area for ABMs has been in the Air Land Integration (ALI) field. We're working far more closely with the Army than ever before to provide them with both battlefield situational awareness and, more widely in the joint environment, to provide battlespace management to support the effects they're trying to deliver. So, there is definitely increasing demand. Whether that will be reflected in recruitment figures is another matter entirely.

I know u've stated a lot about training etc and how long it takes. But i was just looking a average/approx time of the whole process, from OASC to becoming a fully qualified commissioned ABM? (providing you pass of course) - This post should give you the relevant run down.
    Any other questions, please get in touch!

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Interesting stuff from what i've read so far! I've applied to be an ABM so i daresay i will have lots of questions in coming weeks, should my filter interview on tuesday go to plan.

Anyone here applying through the Portsmouth AFCO?

ReputationRep:
    Been reading the RAF annual review 2010, and it seems to be well worth reading.

How heavily (I'm guessing very) involved with ISTAR and ISA is the ABM branch? I know that a number of them are part of the mission crews for the Sentries, but what about involvement with the other aircraft?

Alongside this, due to my eyesight, I cannot be aircrew. Would that also prevent me from potentially being part of a Sentry's mission crew, or is that not a factor for this?

Thanks again for the excellent thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vizzini)

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your original RJP - it does sound like a sequence of unfortunate events. I'll do some digging about the Nov 09 RJP this week and get back to you.

Vizzini
    Thats ok Vizzini, im sure its not your fault!

I had my filter today, passed . Thanks for the help. I had now better get working on my fitness for my pre-IOT assessment! Ill keep an eye on the thread and post any questions/anwers on here when they come up.

AndyG - Good Luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.