Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wonderful.

Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys
    Just read through this as am currently in the process of applying for ABM, have my filter on tuesday and thought would make my self know so :hello:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pashazade)
    Hey guys
    Just read through this as am currently in the process of applying for ABM, have my filter on tuesday and thought would make my self know so :hello:
    Hi pashazade,

Welcome to the thread and good luck for Tuesday! Please let us know how you get on.

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have a question regarding degrees, at this point i am looking at either getting a third, pass or fail in my degree, how bad will that look when applying to be an ABM. My A-levels and GCSEs were great but i really messed up on my degree, i am doing electronic engineering with nanotechnology though which isn't exactly an easy subject. I never really enjoyed my degree, and probably should have changed course in my first year but i don't like giving up. At university i took every opportunity to do outdoor activities etc which look great on my CV, i didn't waste my time completely.

At the moment i have passed my filter interview, i have my fitness test in two weeks time, and i am going to the ABM visit to RAF Boulmer on 1st June.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    You'll be asked about it, and you will have to justify and prove you have the rest of the package to support a credible application, but as A levels are currently the minimum entry standard, failing your degree won't stop your application. You'll obviously ding your entry point as well, as you won't be graduate entry unless you get the third (not sure where a pass degree fits actually).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tblakey89)
    I have a question regarding degrees, at this point i am looking at either getting a third, pass or fail in my degree, how bad will that look when applying to be an ABM. ... i am going to the ABM visit to RAF Boulmer on 1st June.
    Welcome to the thread.

As to your question - what tpd said! I would qualify that by re-iterating that degree subject / class is no indicator of suitability for ABM duites. I have a degree in politics, colleagues have degrees in astrophysics, teaching and even equine studies- aptitude is the only thing that matters.

You will have to justify yourself at OASC, but other than that the only way to progress is to complete the ABMSC to find out whether you've got the aptitude for the job. You'll certainly be able to find out more about it when you come up in June!

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys had my filter interview today and sadly did not get through as was told I dont have enough leadership experience. Do any of the RAF guys on here have any good ideas to improve this?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    How old are you?
    What hobbies and interests do you currently have?
    What have you done before?

Give us something to go on!

ReputationRep:
    That happened to me when I applied for WSOp.

I decided to join up in another role (ASOp) and build life experiece/responsibility that way and possibly apply for aircrew/comission at a later date.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry PS I didnt give you alot there did I. I am 21 am just finishing university am not a big sports player was on the uni shinty team for a couple of years and that was about it. I am a keen runner (did a hlaf marathon last year and trained up for full but sadly did not complete it due to an injury). I also enjoy going to the gym and swimming. As for other hobbies I enjoy hill walking but as I said dont take part in much else. I didnt do anything like DOE or ATC at school as up until 2006 was a bit of a portly young chap.

The actual comment I got on my debrief form was to:
    "take on a major project or adventure to show organisational and leadership abilities as well as ruggedness, prowess, endurance and determination in the face of difficulties and danger"

The Warrant Officer who interviewed me was pretty vague about what this actually meant so short of storming tora bora by my self does anyone have any ideas of what they are expecting of me?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Operation Raleigh, volunteer to build a school in Africa, swim the channel, climb the highest peak somewhere, run the Marathon du Sable (sp!) etc Although you need teamwork, so do it yourself and take a bunch of other people along with you
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Help run a sport you participate in, Princes Trust, Round Table, volunteer for something - do something that shows you are a self-starter, can take on responsibility, do things, see them through, plan and generally do more than float along letting others run stuff.
    If you want to be paid to be in a position of responsibility where you lead ahead of manage, you really need to show you've got something for them to work with. Many people are more than bright enough to be Commissioned Officers in the Armed Forces - but you have to be able to apply that intelligence in a way that others believe.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry PS I didnt give you alot there did I. I am 21 am just finishing university am not a big sports player was on the uni shinty team for a couple of years and that was about it. I am a keen runner (did a hlaf marathon last year and trained up for full but sadly did not complete it due to an injury). I also enjoy going to the gym and swimming. As for other hobbies I enjoy hill walking but as I said dont take part in much else. I didnt do anything like DOE or ATC at school as up until 2006 was a bit of a portly young chap.

The actual comment I got on my debrief form was to:
    "take on a major project or adventure to show organisational and leadership abilities as well as ruggedness, prowess, endurance and determination in the face of difficulties and danger"

The Warrant Officer who interviewed me was pretty vague about what this actually meant so short of storming tora bora by my self does anyone have any ideas of what they are expecting of me?
    I didn't have standard leadership skills, I was never a team captain and I was never in one school long enough to be given a genuine posistion of responsibility. I won't go into the details of how I sold my leadership qualities as I think my situation and childhood was oddly unique in comparison to all the people I know, so I doubt it would be much use to you. But one thing I did which might be useful, I studied and lived in another country for a year. I went alone, and I came back with a whole heap of friends I'll never ever forget. Although the downside to this is, my application does become harder due to the rules on being out the country for more than 28 days consecutivly.

Really, that definition is pretty broad, but then also the ways of displaying it are pretty broad aswell. Wouldn't it be boring if we all had had the same adventures?

ReputationRep:
    I see what your saying sypher. Think my plan at the moment is to move back home for a while after I finish my degree, save up some money and go on one of the raleigh expeditions as even if it doesnt help with the RAF will at least be a good experience and a good point on the old CV. Have some plans for a few more fund raisers for charity (trip up kilimanjaro anyone ). At the very least will boost my CV while looking for another job at best will fill in the blanks I need to join the RAF.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    The charity jollies (Kilimanjaro etc) have been devalued in recent years - they are not that tough and people are not interested like they used to be. Lets be honest - if Chris Moyles can do it, it isn't that hard.

ReputationRep:
    Lol touche ProStaker and dont forget Fearne Cotton also managed it. However have been planning either that or a sky dive for charity for a while so will still go for it. Think this interview has just given me a bit of a kick up the ass to actually go out and do things I had planned to do anyway. Out of interest does anyone know if the RAF reserves are recruiting at the moment or are they suffering from the same training freeze as the TA?

ReputationRep:
    Think this interview has just given me a bit of a kick up the ass to actually go out and do things I had planned to do anyway. Out of interest does anyone know if the RAF reserves are recruiting at the moment or are they suffering from the same training freeze as the TA?
    Hello again pashazade,

I'm sorry to hear the interview didn't go so well, but at least you've taken a positive slant on things. I won't add anything to this as the ground's been well covered. Suffice to say, you've taken the criticism on board and are heading in the right direction!

As to the RAFVR / Aux RAF, I honestly don't know. I have a contact I can hit up, so I'll see if they can help - in the meantime I'd suggest google and calling your local branch?

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Thanks vizzini although managed to chat to a mate of mine who is in OTC and he said that the training freeze has been lifted for the time being so the units should be recruiting again.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I just completed OASC on friday afternoon, applying for ABM (direct entry) as my only choice. I really enjoyed the week, and gave it my all, now begins the agonising wait for a letter in the post! I think I need to stop thinking about it, as the more I go over my interview, the poorer I imagine I performed.

Vizzini - I attended an RJP at Boulmer on the 29th March. On officer mentioned this thread there, trying to rack my brains as to who you might be...

Anyway, I'm so thrilled they put me through to the end. Having my name read out last caused my heart to skip several beats I'm sure. I'll probably write up a few notes on OASC soon as a thank you for what I've taken from this, and other threads.

Here's hoping!

Mr. Brightside

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr._Brightside)
    I just completed OASC on friday afternoon, applying for ABM (direct entry) as my only choice.

Anyway, I'm so thrilled they put me through to the end. Having my name read out last caused my heart to skip several beats I'm sure. I'll probably write up a few notes on OASC soon as a thank you for what I've taken from this, and other threads.
    Hi Mr Brightside,

Best of luck for the letter; I hope you don't have to wait too long, it sounds like your heart might not be in the best condition!

There're a lot of threads on here regarding OASC, but what might be useful are some, as you see it, ABM-related pointers about OASC for future candidates. For instance, what did they ask you about your choice, or, what did you have to tell them about the world of ABM? That might help people focus their research, you see.

In any case, thanks for posting and fingers crossed for your result!

Vizzini

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.