Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pashazade)
    Lol touche ProStaker and dont forget Fearne Cotton also managed it. However have been planning either that or a sky dive for charity for a while so will still go for it. Think this interview has just given me a bit of a kick up the ass to actually go out and do things I had planned to do anyway. Out of interest does anyone know if the RAF reserves are recruiting at the moment or are they suffering from the same training freeze as the TA?
    Remember that anything laid on by another company is not really giving you a chance to shine - you'd be better off trying to get together a few mates to do a trek up something large, and making all the arrangements yourself. Planning food, accomodation, routes, minibuses, first aid cover, choosing a charity, arranging and managing sponsorship for all involved, maintaining morale for the team in the run up to and during the expedition ... all far, far more challenging than signing up with a skydive company and just asking a few people to sponsor you!

ReputationRep:
    Very true Theo. Will propably organise it myself if I decide to do the sky dive, but dont trust myself to organise something overseas far to many problems that would be difficult to plan for (like volcanos closing air space). I did also have a few more questions on here for the RAF fellas though.
    1)The expedition to Borneo I am planning lasts 10 weeks, will this cause problems when I reapply to the RAF as have heard alot of people have had problems if they spent more than a month out of the country?
    2)If I was to join the RAF reserves/TA do either of them allow you a period of leave or sabbatical if you were planning to do something like a ten week long trip or would I be forced to leave?

Thanks again guys

ReputationRep:
    1)The expedition to Borneo I am planning lasts 10 weeks, will this cause problems when I reapply to the RAF as have heard alot of people have had problems if they spent more than a month out of the country?
    2)If I was to join the RAF reserves/TA do either of them allow you a period of leave or sabbatical if you were planning to do something like a ten week long trip or would I be forced to leave?
    pashazade,

1. I'm outside the core recruiting loop, so I don't know the full rules and regulations about these sorts of matters. However, I'd suggest you speak to an AFCO on this one. The 'I've been out of the UK for this long, am I going to get turned down?' question crops up quite a lot on here and that's the general feeling.

2. No idea; again, given your previous enquiry, I'd say you're best off going to the horse's mouth. Again, I can tap my contact for some gouge if you want, or you can ask yours.

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Thanks vizzini will pop down to the AFCO later on today

ReputationRep:
    dont trust myself to organise something overseas far to many problems that would be difficult to plan for (like volcanos closing air space).
    Fair enough, but a jaunt up Scafell Pike, or organising a Three Peaks Challenge or similar, will notch up just as many brownie points - it doesn't have to be international to be impressive! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theo1977)
    or organising a Three Peaks Challenge or similar, will notch up just as many brownie points
    Just looked this up.... Looks like alot of fun.... I'd well be up for this. Maybe organise a TSR trip :P

ReputationRep:
    That would be excellent anyone else fancy that now that i'm moving back home to the highlands am really looking forward to getting back into the hills.

ReputationRep:
    As promised, here are some ABM-orientated tips for OASC. To be taken with a pinch of salt, as is all info on forums.

Aptitude phase 1:
    The ABM battery (set of tests) is quite small, so expect to be done before others (eg pilots) if it's your only aptitude-based branch. Practice multi-tasking and fuel-burning calculations, know your compass bearings and get good at skim-reading. There's only so much you can practice these in a short time, but do try to get snappy with mental arithmetic - it's key for the whole week.

Syndicate phase 2:
    According to a Sqn Ldr I was talking to in the bar, ALL 5 sections carry equal weighting - group discussion, group planning, leaderless, command ex, solo planning. So don't worry too much on any one section. They're looking for problem solving skills, not only teamwork and leadership. On your command ex, make sure you have a stab at some plan before you ask for help, even if you're completely lost and are sure it won't work - THEN ask for help - that's what they want. On the planning phase, find a solution, and find other solutions. When you're searching for a solution and it's clear that it will fail, write notes on it quickly with the calcs that show why it will fail. They want to know all avenues you took to try to find an answer. Think outside the box. Bond with your syndicate - the hanger exercises are so much fun, even if a little nerve-wracking when it's your turn.

Interview & medical phase 3:
    Don't be deaf! I failed my hearing 1st time, had to repeat it the following morning (lots of people in the room, pressing buttons that were louder than the beeps I was trying to hear!).

Interview: know what ABM entails and be able to discuss the 3 streams and the command structure. Know what the job involvs, and where you could end up serving. Know the ABM training regime by heart.

Know the IOT training course week by week for every week - I mean it. I didn't realise we had to know that much detail, but it's something they're hot on these days apparently. I learnt it in an evening. When you think about it there are only about 12 items to remember. If you don't know the answer to ANY question, say "I'm sorry sir, I don't know". Don't bullsh*t, they'll know, and they won't let on that they know.

Know yourself. I spent too much time revising for the RAF section of the interview, and forgot some important events in my life. I completely forgot to mention skiing, for example, which is the only sport I have going for myself at the moment.

Any further things anyone would like to know, PM me and I'll gladly answer if I can.

Regards,

Mr. Brightside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr._Brightside)
    As promised, here are some ABM-orientated tips for OASC. To be taken with a pinch of salt, as is all info on forums.

Aptitude phase 1:
    The ABM battery (set of tests) is quite small, so expect to be done before others (eg pilots) if it's your only aptitude-based branch. Practice multi-tasking and fuel-burning calculations, know your compass bearings and get good at skim-reading. There's only so much you can practice these in a short time, but do try to get snappy with mental arithmetic - it's key for the whole week.

Syndicate phase 2:
    According to a Sqn Ldr I was talking to in the bar, ALL 5 sections carry equal weighting - group discussion, group planning, leaderless, command ex, solo planning. So don't worry too much on any one section. They're looking for problem solving skills, not only teamwork and leadership. On your command ex, make sure you have a stab at some plan before you ask for help, even if you're completely lost and are sure it won't work - THEN ask for help - that's what they want. On the planning phase, find a solution, and find other solutions. When you're searching for a solution and it's clear that it will fail, write notes on it quickly with the calcs that show why it will fail. They want to know all avenues you took to try to find an answer. Think outside the box. Bond with your syndicate - the hanger exercises are so much fun, even if a little nerve-wracking when it's your turn.

Interview & medical phase 3:
    Don't be deaf! I failed my hearing 1st time, had to repeat it the following morning (lots of people in the room, pressing buttons that were louder than the beeps I was trying to hear!).

Interview: know what ABM entails and be able to discuss the 3 streams and the command structure. Know what the job involvs, and where you could end up serving. Know the ABM training regime by heart.

Know the IOT training course week by week for every week - I mean it. I didn't realise we had to know that much detail, but it's something they're hot on these days apparently. I learnt it in an evening. When you think about it there are only about 12 items to remember. If you don't know the answer to ANY question, say "I'm sorry sir, I don't know". Don't bullsh*t, they'll know, and they won't let on that they know.

Know yourself. I spent too much time revising for the RAF section of the interview, and forgot some important events in my life. I completely forgot to mention skiing, for example, which is the only sport I have going for myself at the moment.

Any further things anyone would like to know, PM me and I'll gladly answer if I can.

Regards,

Mr. Brightside.
    This isn't helpful for just people going for ABM... I'm going for Regt. Officer and your post here has made me think about my revision and what I need to be doing.

Cheers Mr. Brightside

ReputationRep:
    Finally had my filter interview on the 11th May, it went well (could have been better) and ive been recommended for the next stage, OASC. Will find out within three weeks, so heres hoping! I dont know if my process works differently from others but as far as i know my application and letter of recommendation get sent to Cranwell and they decide if they want me to attend OASC.

Vizzini, got a few more questions. More just out of interest than anyhting else.
    I was reading an article in the Daily Mail a while ago and it was all about QRA and how the Russians send planes to test our defnces. It got me thinking.
    Would the RAF ever send planes into or close to Russian airspace in the same way?

And also, i havent read very much about ABMs being stationed at RAF Leuchars or Conningsby but i was almost certain the ABMs are heaily involved within the QRA team...?

Few tips for Filter Interview from my experience,
    Know dates and duration of hobbies/sports played throughout life.
    RAF bases in the UK, whats at each etc.
    RAF in Afghan.
    Training!
    Know some facts and use them to impress, it shows you've gone out of your way to learn. eg when talking about NATO and how an attack on one member is an attack on all, mention this is stated under Article 5.

Also, my interviewer had recently been on or involved in a RJP about ABM so he was up to date. Luckily this was one of my strong points. I had known very little about RJPs until i found this forum, so i mentioned about this place and he seemed impressed. He also mentioned a possible name of the creator, Vizzini.

Andy

ReputationRep:
    I also wondered if we'd be cheeky enough to "test" the Russian's reaction times...

Just got a "maybe" letter in the post today. My heart sank at how thin the letter was when I saw it, but at least it's not a "no", just yet. Here's to another month of waiting!

ReputationRep:
    Just got a "maybe" letter in the post today.
    What do they mean by "maybe"? Will it all depend on your references?

ReputationRep:
    It means they want to pool you with a bunch of similar candidates at their bi- or tr-monthly meeting (mine is the end of May) to compare them against each other.

IE I wasn't good enough to get an outright "yes", nor aweful enough to get an outright "no".

A Sqn Ldr said if you consider that the 80-100% candidates get "yes"s, and the bottom 0-50% get "no"s, then the 50-80% get maybes. Although he admitted his numbers were made up. But you get the idea.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, so now you just need to proove your better than everyone else at the "meeting."

Well all I can say is best of luck!!

ReputationRep:
    I won't be there, but cheers anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theo1977)
    organising a Three Peaks Challenge or similar, will notch up just as many brownie points - it doesn't have to be international to be impressive! :p:
    I'll now be doing this in July!! Me and a guy from work at planning on doing this over 2 or 3 days, not 24 hours. Just got to remember to take a camera, along with everything else they suggest!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I didn't get through OASC this year. Just a year to go until I try again! Hah. Had a really good time though, thrashed the aptitude and have been given a few things to work on to improve myself and to be what they are looking for. An enjoyable experience nonetheless. Even though the accom was bloomin' freezing!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I see a lots been going on in my absence! Apologies to those of you waiting for responses, I've been away on leave.

Know yourself. I spent too much time revising for the RAF section of the interview, and forgot some important events in my life.
    Thank you for your very constructive post! I see you got a maybe; it's not ideal, but it's not an outright no either, which is at least hopeful. Fingers crossed!

I've quoted what I think is probably your most fundamental point. It's important to have all the background knowledge and, indeed, the detail on what makes the RAF etc tick, but you're not at OASC to sell the RAF. You go to sell yourself to the RAF. The fact you know the detail demonstrates you've got the necessary committment, but OASC is about judging you as an overall prospective Officer - so aim to sell yourself as such. To do that you need to know yourself, as you say. And, for heaven's sake, be honest! It's no good selling an image you think the examiners want. For starters, they can generally see through it and if they don't you've put yourself in an invidious position for the next few years, because you've got to live up to that image...

(Original post by AndyG)
    was reading an article in the Daily Mail a while ago and it was all about QRA and how the Russians send planes to test our defnces. It got me thinking.
    Would the RAF ever send planes into or close to Russian airspace in the same way?

And also, i havent read very much about ABMs being stationed at RAF Leuchars or Conningsby but i was almost certain the ABMs are heaily involved within the QRA team...?
    Andy,

To your first question, what do you think?

To your second - have a read back through the thread and let us know the answer.

(Original post by LukeThomas)
    I'll now be doing this in July!! Me and a guy from work at planning on doing this over 2 or 3 days, not 24 hours.
    [PEDANT] Just a small point, but that wouldn't count as the 3 Peaks Challenge.[/PEDANT] It would still be a challenging 3-day expedition, though!

(Original post by jack_frost)
    Unfortunately I didn't get through OASC this year.
    jack,

Sorry to hear you didn't make the cut this time round, I'm sure you're gutted, but at least you're gearing up fo an other go - good stuff. Have you had any feedback on your performance / weak or strong areas yet?

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vizzini)
    [PEDANT] Just a small point, but that wouldn't count as the 3 Peaks Challenge.[/PEDANT] It would still be a challenging 3-day expedition, though!
    We are going to try and get on the Open Bus challenge in August or September, then it will be in 24 hours. If we can't get the time off work we'll go in October, and have a trial run of one or two of them.

Going to be fun and interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeThomas)
    Going to be fun and interesting
    Hi Luke,

Did the 3 Peaks when I was younger and I can definitely say you're stretching the definition of fun ! It's also preferable to do it earlier in the year - weather is a major factor. It's not much fun flogging through cloud at 5 in the morning trying to find your way to a summit. It really slows you down whis is a right pain. It also helps if your driver knows where you're going so you don't have to fanny around trying to work out why you aren't where you're supposed to be - again, wastes time! Agree with your practise runs - a must to iron out any wrinkles.

Good luck!

Vizzini

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.