Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vizzini)
    Hi Luke,

Did the 3 Peaks when I was younger and I can definitely say you're stretching the definition of fun ! It's also preferable to do it earlier in the year - weather is a major factor. It's not much fun flogging through cloud at 5 in the morning trying to find your way to a summit. It really slows you down whis is a right pain. It also helps if your driver knows where you're going so you don't have to fanny around trying to work out why you aren't where you're supposed to be - again, wastes time! Agree with your practise runs - a must to iron out any wrinkles.

Good luck!

Vizzini
    Oh it sounds like fun to me! I must be a bit :eek3:

Don't know if I'll be able to do the 24 hour challenge now, both of us work at the same place and it's difficult getting the time off together. Just going to climb them in our own time (still will look good on my RAF application nonetheless). Got some planning to do now :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    From the off, I have to admit I have not read all 19 pages of this tread (yet) but wanted to ask a question I haven’t come across (yet).

I have recently been to OASC and did the complete battery of aptitude tests. I did not pass for two of the branches I had applied for and they closed my third choice (without telling me) so I sadly took the relevant train timetable and left Cranwell.

However, I did pass the aptitude tests for ABM and one other branch. My question is, if you pass the aptitude tests what is the likelihood of being successful in that branch from then on?

Also, do you have any advice for someone like me, who had not considered ABM in-depth before I went to OASC.

Many thanks, ana_jam

ReputationRep:
    jack,

Sorry to hear you didn't make the cut this time round, I'm sure you're gutted, but at least you're gearing up fo an other go - good stuff. Have you had any feedback on your performance / weak or strong areas yet?

Vizzini
    Only the debrief at Cranwell so far, will be another 3 weeks or so before I get a written report. Although when I was there I felt it went okay, I realised once he'd told me where I wasn't up to scratch. Basically, I've never really had any leadership experience and it shone through. In the leaderless although I was very capable of amending other people's ideas for the better, I wasn't coming up with enough on my own, in the command situ because I generally speak quite quickly, when I'm rushed, my words kind of amalgamate (I'm going to try and get this sorted with elocution lessons amongst other things). When other people were in command I didn't really offer enough, I took up a more peripheral role and looking back I see that. So it's not in dispute, I can agree with them on the things I need to improve on.

Looking forward to seeing the written report now so I can see if there's anything else they want me to improve on. I'm going down to the local Air Cadets on Friday as well and will hopefully start helping out as an adult volunteer. So that will give me some experience with some luck.

As far as good points, they said that my group discussion and group planning were both very good (indiv plan came down to speech/diction again). And that my aptitude scores were very good. Scored 154 whereas it's only 100 to pass. So I was happy with that.

I'm not sure if you know but I'll throw the question your way before I head down the AFCO, if I were to join as an Aerospace Systems Operator asap, would I still be allowed to apply for Officer in a years time?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by jack_frost)
    I'm not sure if you know but I'll throw the question your way before I head down the AFCO, if I were to join as an Aerospace Systems Operator asap, would I still be allowed to apply for Officer in a years time?
    Given the current lack of recruiting at any level, you'd be lucky to get into the loop in a year. It is NOT an advised route to commissioning. Read the other threads on here on this topic. If you have the potential for a commission, apply yourself to that entry. If you joined you would have several years before you could realistically go for commission.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Given the current lack of recruiting at any level, you'd be lucky to get into the loop in a year. It is NOT an advised route to commissioning. Read the other threads on here on this topic. If you have the potential for a commission, apply yourself to that entry. If you joined you would have several years before you could realistically go for commission.
    Thanks for the prompt reply Pro and for clearing that up. The commission is what I want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ana_jam)
    My question is, if you pass the aptitude tests what is the likelihood of being successful in that branch from then on?

Also, do you have any advice for someone like me, who had not considered ABM in-depth before I went to OASC.
    Hi ana,

Welcome to the thread. I'm going to do the advice bit first. I would suggest you re-visit your AFCO and express your newly-found interest in all things ABM to see whether it will be a goer to get you to OASC again, before you do anything else.

Secondly, if you are given a green light and still want to pursue it, 2 things:

1. Read the thread... which you've said you're going to do, so fine. If you still like what you see, then:
    2. Book yourself on an RJP through your AFCO to come and see it all in action.

As to your other question, you will see some earlier posts here relating specifically to your query. If you need anything further after that, please come back to me.

Happy reading!

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack_frost)
    Thanks PS for answering this point already. I completely agree; you could join as an ASOp with the aim of Commissioning or taking the fast-track to Sgt WC, but as countless threads have already said - and you've identified yourself - why join as an airman if you want, and think you have the minerals, to be an officer?

I can understand why they pinged you for nerves and speaking - it affects your bearing and presence and, hence, your authority. How do you think you might fix that?

As to your leadership experience, was it the case that you simply haven't had the time, or opportunity to develop yourself there yet? Or, did you not communicate your relevant experience well enough? Obviously, I wasn't there, so I'm speculating, but in either case you've plenty of options I'm sure you're considering and, personally, I think the Air Cadets adult volunteer is a good one. Organising expeditions has been mentioned on here recently; perhaps organising and running a team challenge with colleagues / friends might be another, if it's of a suitable calibre...

I hope the report gives you some more concrete pointers to take forward - you've plenty of time.

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Thanks PS for answering this point already. I completely agree; you could join as an ASOp with the aim of Commissioning or taking the fast-track to Sgt WC, but as countless threads have already said - and you've identified yourself - why join as an airman if you want, and think you have the minerals, to be an officer?

I can understand why they pinged you for nerves and speaking - it affects your bearing and presence and, hence, your authority. How do you think you might fix that?

As to your leadership experience, was it the case that you simply haven't had the time, or opportunity to develop yourself there yet? Or, did you not communicate your relevant experience well enough? Obviously, I wasn't there, so I'm speculating, but in either case you've plenty of options I'm sure you're considering and, personally, I think the Air Cadets adult volunteer is a good one. Organising expeditions has been mentioned on here recently; perhaps organising and running a team challenge with colleagues / friends might be another, if it's of a suitable calibre...

I hope the report gives you some more concrete pointers to take forward - you've plenty of time.

Vizzini
    Completely dependent on my report really as to whether I go for ASOp or return for ABM. I was just wondering whether it could be a viable route, I would much rather get my commission outright and asap. So you're right there and I am definitely going to try again next year.

Just to be cool, calm and collected. Although urgency is paramount due to time constraints, I let it affect my speech. Generally I talk at quite a pace, but currently I work on the phones and I slow myself down to talk to customers. So I should be able to cross over in that regard. Hopefully some elocution lessons as well may just bring it home as far as my speech goes. Also, second time around I'll have the experience behind me as well. So I will know wholly what to expect, how to behave, how to act etc. And I'm confident I can rectify any diction issues.

As for leadership experience it's more a case of me lacking it. Fortunately though, I'm already lining up several things to try and rectify it. Organising for a friend and myself to take part in a charity skydive. Taking part in the MH Survival of the Fittest, Tri-Nations and trying to get a group together for the ones in Nottingham and Edinburgh, already have a fair few people together for the Cardiff one! As for the Cadets, it will hopefully give me a chance to fulfil a leadership type role, to organise/help with expeds and such. So I'm currently striving to put myself in those positions to increase my exposure and ability with it. I know a lot of it is natural talent, I just let that situation get the better of me due to the precedent I put on it, unfortunately! Going to find a rugby team to play for this summer as well so a nice bit of teamwork/possible leadership to get involved with there as well.

Exactly, the one thing that I have on my side at the moment is time. I'll come back here with a fuller picture once I receive the report, but as far as the debrief went, those were the main points that held me back.

I'm happy enough though that I can improve on what's needed (based on what I know so far). Gives me a chance to get on an RJP as well now hehe! A few more station visits as well.

So hopefully I will be up at Boulmer in the near future for a swift visit! Sorry about the lengthy nature of this post!

ReputationRep:
    Just got a phone call from my AFCO in cambridge, they said that the ABM trade is now being closed, so my application is being cancelled. I had passed my filter interveiw, medical, and i was supposed to have my fitness test last week but i had to delay it due to injuring my knee, and a visit to RAF Boulmer on June 1st. Obviously i am disappointed to hear this, i am thinking of possibly applying again as a regiment officer or pilot, or possibly applying to the navy instead.

How long till ABM will be open again, i thought it was supposed to be one of the most sought after jobs for the RAF at the moment :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tblakey89)
    Just got a phone call from my AFCO in cambridge, they said that the ABM trade is now being closed, so my application is being cancelled. I had passed my filter interveiw, medical, and i was supposed to have my fitness test last week but i had to delay it due to injuring my knee, and a visit to RAF Boulmer on June 1st. Obviously i am disappointed to hear this, i am thinking of possibly applying again as a regiment officer or pilot, or possibly applying to the navy instead.

How long till ABM will be open again, i thought it was supposed to be one of the most sought after jobs for the RAF at the moment :s
    Hence why it's closed? Too many people applying and not enough vacancies to let everyone through

ReputationRep:
    What does this mean for people who have dates for OASC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeThomas)
    Hence why it's closed? Too many people applying and not enough vacancies to let everyone through

Sorry i meant the opposite, i thought this was a job that the RAF was really needing people for...

ReputationRep:
    All,

Standby on this. I'm doing some digging at the moment. As I understand right now, the ABM Branch is closed for further recruiting and is currently expected to remain so until Sep 10. I'm waiting for further confirmation.

As to those of you going to OASC, please wait for further details - I'll try to get them today. I'm not going to speculate.

As I've said before I'm not a recruiter and my contact at I of R is conveniently out-of-office... I'm trying some other channels, but it may take time. Please be patient and don't panic!

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    All,

Standby on this. I'm doing some digging at the moment. As I understand right now, the ABM Branch is closed for further recruiting and is currently expected to remain so until Sep 10. I'm waiting for further confirmation.

As to those of you going to OASC, please wait for further details - I'll try to get them today. I'm not going to speculate.

As I've said before I'm not a recruiter and my contact at I of R is conveniently out-of-office... I'm trying some other channels, but it may take time. Please be patient and don't panic!

Vizzini
    If it is potentially going to re-open in September, then why can't they just put my application on hold till then, September is only 4 months away :s, and why cancel the RAF Boulmer visit in June if it is going to re-open so soon (they've already paid for everyone's train tickets, and i still want to go regardless), i still want to be an ABM, and i would be happy to wait 4 months to continue my application, only next time with a RJP under my belt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tblakey89)
    If it is potentially going to re-open in September, then why can't they just put my application on hold till then, September is only 4 months away :s, and why cancel the RAF Boulmer visit in June if it is going to re-open so soon (they've already paid for everyone's train tickets, and i still want to go regardless), i still want to be an ABM, and i would be happy to wait 4 months to continue my application, only next time with a RJP under my belt.
    blakey,

I appreciate your frustration, but I can't answer this, nor can I help you - speak to your AFCO, they made the decision.

I have now spoken to I of R and it appears the situation is slightly more complicated than at first glance.

ABM is, to all intents and purposes, closed until Sep 10. As a result, if a candidate only has ABM as a preference they wouldn't be called forward to OASC until such a time as the Branch re-opens to recruitment. On the other hand, if an applicant has more than one choice they may be called forward to OASC and will be offered those instead of ABM, but you might not be told until you get to OASC. All of that said, it may be that there are a few places left to be filled and applicants who have already been called forward to OASC will be competing for those. If they are all filled the Branch may well stay closed until Sep 10. If they aren't filled, it is possible that some slots may then open on an ad hoc basis. I don't know which of these situations applies.

My advice - speak to your AFCOs and hope for the best. Good luck.

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    blakey,

I appreciate your frustration, but I can't answer this, nor can I help you - speak to your AFCO, they made the decision.

I have now spoken to I of R and it appears the situation is slightly more complicated than at first glance.

ABM is, to all intents and purposes, closed until Sep 10. As a result, if a candidate only has ABM as a preference they wouldn't be called forward to OASC until such a time as the Branch re-opens to recruitment. On the other hand, if an applicant has more than one choice they may be called forward to OASC and will be offered those instead of ABM, but you might not be told until you get to OASC. All of that said, it may be that there are a few places left to be filled and applicants who have already been called forward to OASC will be competing for those. If they are all filled the Branch may well stay closed until Sep 10. If they aren't filled, it is possible that some slots may then open on an ad hoc basis. I don't know which of these situations applies.

My advice - speak to your AFCOs and hope for the best. Good luck.

Vizzini

Thank you for your prompt reply. The AFCO hasn't contacted me at all today so I did assume the no news is good news policy. Quick question though, is the RJP still going ahead?

Do you think it's worth me contacting my AFCO?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I came on to ask a couple of basic questions to find ABMs been closed! Gutted! I've been trying to send in my raf app with ABM as first choice since going on an RJP in february but the sclo I'm with so far have taken 3 months to answer one question about my form. I'm planning to go to london afco in the hope that I can just bash an app out there because the sclo appears to be doing nothing despite constantly contacting them. Do you guys reckon this is the best course of action?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gib87)
    Hi there, I came on to ask a couple of basic questions to find ABMs been closed! Gutted! I've been trying to send in my raf app with ABM as first choice since going on an RJP in february but the sclo I'm with so far have taken 3 months to answer one question about my form. I'm planning to go to london afco in the hope that I can just bash an app out there because the sclo appears to be doing nothing despite constantly contacting them. Do you guys reckon this is the best course of action?
    If its just the application from you want to fill out, apply online. My AFCO said it's all done online now anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sypher1985)
    Quick question though, is the RJP still going ahead?... Do you think it's worth me contacting my AFCO?
    My advice - speak to your AFCOs and hope for the best.
    As far as Boulmer is concerned the June RJP will still go ahead, unless we are told something different by I of R in the next week.

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    As far as Boulmer is concerned the June RJP will still go ahead

Vizzini
    What does RJP stand for? I know what it is, but not the acronym. Looked at the sticky with all the acronyms in, but that one isn't there or I'm blind.:rolleyes:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.