Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeThomas)
    What does RJP stand for? I know what it is, but not the acronym. Looked at the sticky with all the acronyms in, but that one isn't there or I'm blind.:rolleyes:
    Realistic Job Preview

ReputationRep:
    Thanks DBazza. Going to make sure I get myself on one of them. Make sure I'm choosing the right branch!

EDIT: Sorry for the thread hi-jack too Vizzini :p: I've sent a boooking enquiry for the Three Peaks challenge. Hopefully I'll be off on 14th August climbing them all in 24 hours! Raise some money for charity and have a good time doing it! I'll make sure I get some before and after pictures :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Blakey, im exactly like you! At Cambridge, got the same phone call, same level in the process and had to rearrange my PJFT! Apparently we could write a letter and make a case that as only the East of England has to do PJFTs before OASC we should be considered for OASC now. However I think this would be pretty fruitless.

But, I spoke to them today and they RJP (Realistic Job Preview Luke, sometimes just called a station visit) is still on for June (Im on it too).

Vizzini, thanks for looking into it, I have a few sources doing the same so lets see if the same information is discovered! On the suggestion that possibly have a different option AND ABM on the form, my AFCO wont let me have any option down that is not open, so this wouldnt work? Also, for anyone reading this, according to my AFCO again, if I want to add somehting else to my application (currently ABM only) I would need to re-do my filter as I was only interviewed for ABM.

I also asked what is open, and there is Pilot (clearly), RAF Reg and SNCO ATC.

Im gutted. I started this process back in September 2009 when ABM was of HIGH priority and for numerous reasons (some my own others not) its been delayed and now its closed! Argh!

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Am in the same boat, OASC in two weeks' time, so, having seen these threads, called OASC direct to find out more - and been told today that ABM is closed for the whole financial year 2010/11 and they do not foresee it reopening in September.
    Similar situation where I had another branch as well as ABM which I wanted to put on my selection but my AFCO told me that, as it was closed at the time, it was not possible to do so. Obviously, Law of Sod states that that branch is, surprise, surprise, now open. However, now too late to attend OASC on my due date for that branch as, as you say, I was not Filter'ed for said branch.
    For most, ABM closing is obviously a huge disappointment but one which can be got around in future applications in the fullness of time: very, very best of luck for everyone that this applies to, go for it and keep on truckin'.
    For me, I will cross the age threshold before the process (which will need to start at square one again), will realistically get me to the same point I am at now, so I shall need to have a conversation about what, if anything, can be done on that front. Wish me luck!
    As a wise man once said, "I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna bring me down"...and I believe he also mentioned something insightful about taking "a whisky drink".
    Best of British to everyone still applying and in the process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inigo_Montoya)
    Hi
    Am in the same boat, OASC in two weeks' time, so, having seen these threads, called OASC direct to find out more - and been told today that ABM is closed for the whole financial year 2010/11 and they do not foresee it reopening in September.
    Similar situation where I had another branch as well as ABM which I wanted to put on my selection but my AFCO told me that, as it was closed at the time, it was not possible to do so. Obviously, Law of Sod states that that branch is, surprise, surprise, now open. However, now too late to attend OASC on my due date for that branch as, as you say, I was not Filter'ed for said branch.
    For most, ABM closing is obviously a huge disappointment but one which can be got around in future applications in the fullness of time: very, very best of luck for everyone that this applies to, go for it and keep on truckin'.
    For me, I will cross the age threshold before the process (which will need to start at square one again), will realistically get me to the same point I am at now, so I shall need to have a conversation about what, if anything, can be done on that front. Wish me luck!
    As a wise man once said, "I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna bring me down"...and I believe he also mentioned something insightful about taking "a whisky drink".
    Best of British to everyone still applying and in the process.
    I prefer "a cider drink" or "a vodka drink." :yep:
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Inigo_Montoya)
    Hi
    Frankly that is a very poor effort by the AFCO/OASC system. The filter interview is just that, it filters out the wannabe dross, people who clearly do not have what it takes or who have not put any accurate effort into researching what is a significant life commitment. They do not test branch aptitude in any way. So passing a filter interview should not be branch specific. OK, you learnt about one branch and did not demonstrate knowledge about another branch. But the AFCO is really only checking you were the sort of person who made the effort and did the research. There is no difference in demonstrating that effort and attention to detail successfully for any specific branch.

Not letting someone put a branch on an application form because that branch is closed is ludicrous. It is a word on a piece of paper! So long as the candidate knows that, then it wastes nothing but 2cm of ink. But it would stop these sort of situations where the RAF may lose a decent candidate. It also demonstrates that there is little or no long term statistical analysis of applicants that goes on at OASC.

And they can't question motivation. The whole way through, the system promotes officer first, branch second. Wanting to continue your application, despite your first choice branch being closed simply demonstrates that you want to be an RAF officer more than you want to do a specific job. Now that determination might be questioned by some, but it is a clear demonstration of officer first, branch second. It is also considered a completely reasonable approach if you fail professional training after IOT.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know where I stand now and the worrying is driving me insane...OASC 22nd August for ABM, ATCO and Flight Ops....No idea if my OASC will be cancelled or not
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Would it be worth some enterprising person to start a thread that indicated the date branches and trades closed and any indication of when they might open? Something along the line of the OASC dates thread. So when you hear a branch or trade is closed you copy, update and repaste the master list? Similarly, if anyone hears about an opening date they paste it up.

The manning profile of trades and branches gets really stuffed up if they close for more than a year, and there are also issues with closing them such that the professional training courses after basic training don't run. So if you know when the branch closed and you know how often its professional training courses go, you can sometimes get an idea of when it might open. If the list was kept accurately, a pattern might emerge*.

*Or we might screw it up so royally that someone at OASC or in the recruitment pipeline might take pity and divulge some actually not-classified secrets!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Given the imminent defence review, I don't think anything is certain and everyone is holding their breath right now. There are no patterns and no certain future reference points.
    Put it this way - some people are leaving Advanced Staff Course and not getting promoted and there are more than a few Acting Gp Capts at the moment - preferable for Manning to get rid of substantive Wg Cdrs than Gp Capts!

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

Wel, this is all a pretty pickle isn't it?! Thanks to tpd for your excellent posts, and PS as always, for capturing the elephant in the room (wondered when that would come out)!

The reason I've not posted on here for the last couple of days is that I've been doing some work behind the scenes. I've now managed to get hold of my contact at Cranwell and I've asked them to post some 'from the horse's mouth' information on here, so please stand by. As I said before, I'm not even going to attempt to speculate.

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Hallo TSR,

I've been kindly invited by Vissini to talk to some concerns with regards info/rumours about the ABM branch recent closure for recruitment. My day to day work is in RAF recruitment so I can assure you I'm well placed to speak on this issue, though I shall leave Vissini deal with the ABM branch specific details.

The official line is yes the ABM branch is shut and this will be reviewed in September 2010 to see if we need to accept any more applications. If you have not applied then I am sorry you will not be allowed to until the branch is declared open. You can simply register with Callcredit and they will contact you when the branch reopens and you will be invited to apply in full then.

If however, your application has already been submitted, then do not despair. Unless the AFCO and/or OASC officially tell you your application is rejected then you are still in the system for consideration. This is because we do need a certain number of ABMs recruited this financial year. We know that for every number of applicants we generally get a certain number of suitable candidates that are awarded places at Initial Officer Training. At present there are enough applicants in the system we feel to generate enough candidates to fill the spaces we have. If they do not, or the Royal Air Force decide to increase the ABM recruits they require, then the branch will reopen for applications.

I know this does not allay all your fears particularly in the present recruitment market, but this is the official line and as such you can at least rely on the honesty of the answer. If in doubt please speak to your AFCO and if in the rare event you are not happy with the answer you get, please speak to OASC and they will advise you. The simple fact is that in the current recruitment market the Royal Air Force has a low recruitment target to achieve and so competition is very hot.

I look forward to your responses on this thread. I'm sure Vissini will let me know if he needs me to post any more detail, but please please if in doubt use your AFCO and OASC as your primary route for an official answer as they are the 'masters of this universe' and so their word stands.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackRyan2010)
    Hallo TSR,

I've been kindly invited by Vissini to talk to some concerns with regards info/rumours about the ABM branch recent closure for recruitment. My day to day work is in RAF recruitment so I can assure you I'm well placed to speak on this issue, though I shall leave Vissini deal with the ABM branch specific details.

The official line is yes the ABM branch is shut and this will be reviewed in September 2010 to see if we need to accept any more applications. If you have not applied then I am sorry you will not be allowed to until the branch is declared open. You can simply register with Callcredit and they will contact you when the branch reopens and you will be invited to apply in full then.

If however, your application has already been submitted, then do not despair. Unless the AFCO and/or OASC officially tell you your application is rejected then you are still in the system for consideration. This is because we do need a certain number of ABMs recruited this financial year. We know that for every number of applicants we generally get a certain number of suitable candidates that are awarded places at Initial Officer Training. At present there are enough applicants in the system we feel to generate enough candidates to fill the spaces we have. If they do not, or the Royal Air Force decide to increase the ABM recruits they require, then the branch will reopen for applications.

I know this does not allay all your fears particularly in the present recruitment market, but this is the official line and as such you can at least rely on the honesty of the answer. If in doubt please speak to your AFCO and if in the rare event you are not happy with the answer you get, please speak to OASC and they will advise you. The simple fact is that in the current recruitment market the Royal Air Force has a low recruitment target to achieve and so competition is very hot.

I look forward to your responses on this thread. I'm sure Vissini will let me know if he needs me to post any more detail, but please please if in doubt use your AFCO and OASC as your primary route for an official answer as they are the 'masters of this universe' and so their word stands.

Good Luck!
    Thanks for your response. The part I have bolded is the part that has caused me confusion. I phoned Cranwell yesterday and was informed that my application has been withdrawn because of the closure of ABM. Would this count as an official notice of my application being cancelled? I was also told that Int Officer is now open, and I phoned the careers line for the RAF and to try and get on a filter interview, but was informed it was closed.

All in all, it's a very confusing time at the moment. I don't even know if I'm still down to go on the RJP next week, the thought of spending £100 on train tickets to be told I'm not supposed to be there is of course a slight concern.

ReputationRep:
    Sypher1985,

Sorry to hear your application has been withdrawn, I can only assume yours was one of the last in, but I will check the policy with the powers that be. So far as Int Officer being open I will check; it simply may be a comms error that means the info has not reached the careers line yet and I can only apologise for that.

So far as your RJP place goes, please ask your AFCO to confirm whether you are still on it and if you are, enquire to the travel costs, as I was under the impression these were bore by the Royal Air Force who may then get the AFCO to issue you a travel warrant. The AFCO will check and confirm my point if I am correct.

JackRyan2010

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackRyan2010)
    Sypher1985,

Sorry to hear your application has been withdrawn, I can only assume yours was one of the last in, but I will check the policy with the powers that be. So far as Int Officer being open I will check; it simply may be a comms error that means the info has not reached the careers line yet and I can only apologise for that.

So far as your RJP place goes, please ask your AFCO to confirm whether you are still on it and if you are, enquire to the travel costs, as I was under the impression these were bore by the Royal Air Force who may then get the AFCO to issue you a travel warrant. The AFCO will check and confirm my point if I am correct.

JackRyan2010
    Thank you once again for the response. I did phone the AFCO today and asked about the RJP. But I didn't get a clear answer. I will try again tomorrow. I might try a different AFCO as I was made aware that Luton (which is who I have been dealing with) is a satellite AFCO and that Cambridge is the main one for this area. So tomorrow I will phone them.

It's a shame that my application has been withdrawn, I guess what's sad about it is that I'm not the only one in this position. I have had it explained to me how the recruiting process allows for this occurrence and how it is being changed to reduce the risk of branch closure during the application process. But of course the risk can never been eliminated with the impending SDR.

ReputationRep:
    Sypher:
    I was informed by OASC that IntO is open, but not entirely. It's ajar: they are only considering applications for IntO from candidates with degrees in Politics or International Relations. By which I presume they do not mean Auntie Hilda in Australia.
    JackRyan:
    Am at tipping point age-wise (currently 36), is it possible to apply for age waiver in light of possible review in Sept (essentially, "keep my details on file")?

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I have a poit to raise with JackRyan which may well be the case with some other applicants on here.
    I applied through AFCO cambridge and as im sure you are aware they are piloting PJFTs down here. I had passed my filter interview and was days from doing my PJFT (having passed the medical) when I was told ABM had closed. If I had been applying elsewhere in the country, my application would already have been with Cranwell/OASC and therefore under consideration. Thus, do you think I have any grounds for requesting my application to be forward to OASC/Cranwell and considered?

Thanks

Will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pointsy)
    Hello all,

I have a poit to raise with JackRyan which may well be the case with some other applicants on here.
    I applied through AFCO cambridge and as im sure you are aware they are piloting PJFTs down here. I had passed my filter interview and was days from doing my PJFT (having passed the medical) when I was told ABM had closed. If I had been applying elsewhere in the country, my application would already have been with Cranwell/OASC and therefore under consideration. Thus, do you think I have any grounds for requesting my application to be forward to OASC/Cranwell and considered?

Thanks

Will
    Pointsy, my AFCO was Luton, which is a satellite AFCO of Cambridge. I had completed my medical and PJFT. My PJFT was completed in the beginning of March. I had an OASC date for August. My application has been withdrawn, I started applying in August of 2009, but my application was delayed due to requiring extra documentation because I studied abroad for a year. Which meant my application did not start proper till December 2009/January 2010.

ReputationRep:
    Just returned from the RJP. I had an amazing time, it was great to see the base and what happens there. All the staff were really friendly and I got loads of information, it has really help me decide what I want to do now the branch is closed and also given me other ideas if the branch is going to be closed for a long period of time. I didn't get to meet Vizzini, which was a shame. One bad point though, my phone must have slipped out of my pocket on the bus journey back to the train station. But I have found out where it is and I spoke to someone and they're looking into getting it sent back to me, which is good.

ReputationRep:
    Ive had my question above answered by attending the RJP (with Sypher) and I also had a great time.

Id encourage anyone looking into the branch to get on one.

And Sypher - glad to hear about the phone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sypher1985)
    I didn't get to meet Vizzini, which was a shame.
    sypher,

Sorry I missed you; I was on exercise in deepest darkest Cumbria! Glad you had a good time - did you get your phone back yet?

Vizzini

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.