Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vizzini)
    sypher,

Sorry I missed you; I was on exercise in deepest darkest Cumbria! Glad you had a good time - did you get your phone back yet?

Vizzini
    That's okay Vizzini, I did get to meet one of your colleagues though which was nice. I still haven't received my phone yet, which is what I was going to ask you about. When I called my phone I spoke to a gentleman, whose name I didn't get (stupid me) at the time, who said he would look into getting it sent to me and he would call me back on my home number which I provided. That was on Thursday afternoon. I haven't heard anything back as of yet. I was wondering if there is a number I could call to chase this up. It might be best to PM me the number if it's possible for you to give me one.

If you can't provide a number I have some paperwork with Boulmers RJP Officer's phone number which I could try.

Thanks.

Sypher.

ReputationRep:
    So I just called my AFCO and was told that the meeting that was supposed to take place at the end of May hasn't even occured yet.

Argh!

I fear I may be above the age limit before I get an answer.

ReputationRep:
    Good progress today with my phone. I managed to speak to the individual who has it in their possession and this time I got a name and phone number, I will call them tomorrow to find out the price of the postage etc and I should be able to get my phone sent back to me. Fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sypher1985)
    Good progress today with my phone.
    Check PMs.

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Slightly shameless bump, but also a quick pointer.

Anyone who was going through the application process for ABM before everything closed and who's application has stalled, been frozen, or turned off until Sep, will have to re-register with Call Connect nearer the time on the number here to re-activate the process.

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Hello again,

Thanks for all the info on this thread, had plenty of "Julie Andrews" tea whilst reading through it all.

Finally, I got to the point when I was happy to say I knew enough about the ABM role to apply and then saw the post on here about the branch closing. What inauspicious timing?

However, I have decided to wait until such a time that the branch re-opens and I can apply meanwhile have a question or two.

Are RJPs still being run while the branch is closed? (My AFCO wasn’t sure) If so, when is the next one and are there still spaces available?

ana_jam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ana_jam)
    Are RJPs still being run while the branch is closed? (My AFCO wasn’t sure) If so, when is the next one and are there still spaces available?
    Hi again ana_jam,

At the moment, I honestly don't know. The guy that deals with this from our end is away from his office at the moment, so I can't find out just yet. As soon as I do, it'll be up on here!

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I phoned my AFCO again and found that the board won't be sitting on my application until the end of July at the earliest. I'm starting to feel a little messed around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr._Brightside)
    Hello all,

I phoned my AFCO again and found that the board won't be sitting on my application until the end of July at the earliest. I'm starting to feel a little messed around.
    Mr._Brightside,

Hang in there - I'm afraid you're not the first and you certainly won't be the last - I went through something similar. It is an incredibly frustrating process over which you have no control. You just have to tough it out, unfortunately. No news is good news as they say...

I hope you get the answer you want sooner rather than later.

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    ***RJP UPDATE***

I spoke to the guy that runs the RJPs up at Boulmer today. As far as he is aware, the IofR at Cranwell are still loading candidates onto RJPs. He is expecting to run the next one over 3 - 5 August. So, as far as he knows, it's business as usual. Anyone wanting to get on one needs to get their AFCO to speak to the IofR for the latest update.

Hope to see you up here in August.

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vizzini)
    ***RJP UPDATE***

I spoke to the guy that runs the RJPs up at Boulmer today. He is expecting to run the next one over 3 - 5 August.
    ***UPDATE TO RJP UPDATE***

Ho hum, so the chap I spoke to yesterday has in fact handed the RJP duty to a new chap and wasn't fully aware of all the facts when he and I spoke yesterday.

The RJP has been re-scheduled... the new dates are 10 - 12 August, not as previously mentioned.

This is absolutely, definitely correct, really. One hundred percent. Honest... er, check with your AFCO.

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Havent been on here in a while due to work and holidays etc, but ive reasons to be very disappointed!

I passed my filter interview on the 15 May and was told i would find out within 3 weeks by letter from Cranwell if i had been accepted or not for OASC. I'm still waiting on that letter.

About a week after my interview i read on here that ABM had closed but my AFCO told me they thought i'd got in before the cut off point and to wait for my letter and take it from there. 5 weeks had passed and still no letter, so again i got in contact with my AFCO. They rang Cranwell and apparently i didnt get in before the cut off point, but why no letter?? grrrrrr.

Anyway, that was fair enough and understandable as im sure it happens often. But why no letter? Also, im with Belfast AFCO and my interview was delayed due to them waiting on new staff to take the interviews, then delayed yet again to the scums car bomb at Palace Barracks. I'm trying not to think "what if" and it has made me more deteremined than ever to get in next time.

However, i'm starting to feel let down by the application process and my AFCO. I understand its a new process but i keep getting different answers from different people. I rang my AFCO before i went on holiday about setting up a RJP and chasing up my letter. Both of which i havent heard anything back from. Now i know the next RJP is in August i will get in contact with them asap. I dont want to apply for something else as my heart is set on this but things havent been goin too well so far...

Andy

ReputationRep:
    If you're not happy with your AFCO you could try another one.

As for passing your filter interview on May 15th, I passed mine at the end of January, I started applying in August 09 for ABM. I had to have a Pre Joining fitness test, and a pre joining medical before I was given my OASC date, all of which was done by the begining of March. I had my OASC date for August 3rd. But ofc that is now cancelled. When on the RJP (which was awesome, get on it if you can) there were 13 other people in similar situations, some had done a PJFT etc, some had not, some hadn't had a filter interview. Really what I'm trying to say is, you're not the only one . Plenty of us are disappointed at the branch closure but their is a strong possibility that it will be opened again in September. So just keep on trying and look on the bright side, extra time for preparation .

ReputationRep:
    AndyG,

(Original post by AndyG)
    However, i'm starting to feel let down by the application process and my AFCO. I understand its a new process but i keep getting different answers from different people. I rang my AFCO before i went on holiday about setting up a RJP and chasing up my letter. Both of which i havent heard anything back from. Now i know the next RJP is in August i will get in contact with them asap.
    It is an incredibly frustrating process and it's all the harder at the moment, so I really don't envy your situation. However, I do think your experience is a teensy bit exceptional (Car bomb :eek:)! All I can really say is to keeping plugging away at it: if you really want something, you've got to make it happen (as far as you can!). So keep pushing the AFCO; to an extent you're going to have to drive the process - it is YOUR application after all!

----------------------------------------

Sypher,

Thanks for posting your example. One can get very 'heads-in' to one's own application process, so it's useful to have other people's experiences to compare.

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Sypher and Vizzini, thanks for the replies. Like i said, i'm not the type of person to get stuck on the "what if" situation. I like to move on and get things done. Just thought i'd let people know how things may work for them if they are considering applying.

So I phoned AFCO today and have started to make some progress. Got talking to the person i had dealt with initially when i first applied and he was very helpful, although he knew nothing about my previous phonecall. At first he said about me applying for ATC SNCO (which is still open). But he soon realised I wanted to wait for ABM opening again when i kept going on about attending on a RJP and that I knew the dates of the next one. So he said he would try his best and get in touch asap, most likely tomorrow. So heres hoping!

Andy

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have applied for ABM, ATC and Flight Ops, my board is the 22nd of August yet I haven't had a letter cancelling it, which if I'm honest, I had expected by now. I received a letter from RAFC Cranwell last week to say there was a slight change to how my travel tickets were to be issued. Am I to assume my board is still going ahead? Or did people have to ring them to find out the bad news?

ReputationRep:
    I would ring them to check just incase, but everything points to you having you board Smoggy52!
    Your one of the lucky ones, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Found out from my AFCO today that the next RJP has been cancelled because there is not enough applicants to take part. So the next one will be in October!

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

A friend of mine went into his local AFCO today to start his pilot application process. He kindly asked after ABM for me and they said that it was 'being reviewed in October, will remain closed to be reviewed again in the new year.' He said the second half was more opinion than fact but does anyone else know any different?

I also spoke to another firedn of mine who works in recruitment for the Raf Reg Reserves and he said that 'the review in October will leave all positions as they are currently and it is unlikely that anything will open this financial year'. Again, anyone else heard anything?

Its all so negative at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    Pointsy, all,

Times are tough, indeed.

I've checked internally and the latest information I have been able to find (from early July) is that the Branch was supposed to re-open August / September time. Clearly the AFCOs are hearing differently - they, not me, will have the most up-to-date information and the most likely future recruitment targets for the Branch.

That said, whilst recruitment will still continue, the RAF doesn't know what it's future manpower requirements will be until the SDSR is released. That is currently due some time between September and November, which, coincidentally, matches the time frame Pointsy has been given.

In addition, there were a number of candidates already progressing through the ABM pipeline, who will still be going through the whole process and may, and I stress may, fulfil our immediate requirement for trained personnel. So, as yet, we don't know how many we need to recruit as we don't know how much of a need we will have to fill in the short-term - you are the victims of our recent training successes, I'm afraid.

Underlying all this is what I said at the start: we will still have to fill posts in the near future, out the other side of the SDSR. So if you want to join and are prepared to stick it out and take some short-term pain (get used to that if you want to serve, btw), then keep digging into your AFCO. Don't forget that you may need to re-register at the phone number I gave above.

Good luck.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.