Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for your responses and tips all, less than a week away now!

(Original post by Spearmint)
    one question which nearly caught me out was in how they get across the various leadership teachings to the student.
    - What was your answer/their answer?

I think i've decided im gonna stick with only the jet squadrons and the Tornado F3 weaponry (as this is the RAFs Air Defence aircraft)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pointsy)
    - What was your answer/their answer?
    Like I have already mentioned, they kind of caught me on the hop with that one but then as I have again already mentioned, that is what they aim to do. To see how you react.

I managed to emit a response along the lines of practical lessons, several exercises and lectures from those who have achieved a hell of a lot academically.

I think i've decided im gonna stick with only the jet squadrons and the Tornado F3 weaponry (as this is the RAFs Air Defence aircraft)
    Ok a fair point but as an ABM you don't just speak to fast jets, you will require other assets to listen in and act accordingly. For example, the E3-D Sentry can be used as a extra set of eyes or an area of airspace might need to be deconflicted quite rapidly which could contain Rotary assets, UAV's, ISTAR / ASTOR assets etc.

ReputationRep:
    Like I have already mentioned, they kind of caught me on the hop with that one but then as I have again already mentioned, that is what they aim to do. To see how you react.

I managed to emit a response along the lines of practical lessons, several exercises and lectures from those who have achieved a hell of a lot academically.

Ok a fair point but as an ABM you don't just speak to fast jets, you will require other assets to listen in and act accordingly. For example, the E3-D Sentry can be used as a extra set of eyes or an area of airspace might need to be deconflicted quite rapidly which could contain Rotary assets, UAV's, ISTAR / ASTOR assets etc.
    Cheers Spearmint. I did actually also decide to learn the E3D squadrons as ABMs can get a posting on them. If im getting on well the Sentinal will be added to the list, R1s and possibly more. See how it goes!

Ive spent a while looking for the CAS responses to the SDSR, struggling to find it through google or on the RAF website, do you have a link?
    I managed to find the f2020 stuff fine tho, cheers

ReputationRep:
    Ive spent a while looking for the CAS responses to the SDSR, struggling to find it through google or on the RAF website, do you have a link?
    I managed to find the f2020 stuff fine tho, cheers
    I found this for you as I accessed the CAS's view through work so I don't think you'll be able to view it.

I found this though, it is however by the old CDS Air Chief Marshall Sir Jock Stirrup but it broadly emulates what the CAS has said.

http://www.rfa-association.org/cms/a...S-1-1-UREV.PDF

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Spearmint. I did actually also decide to learn the E3D squadrons as ABMs can get a posting on them. If im getting on well the Sentinal will be added to the list, R1s and possibly more. See how it goes!
    Is it worth getting into detail on the Sentinel as it supposed to be withdrawn once its no longer needed in Afghanistan, according to the SDSR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socaddict)
    Is it worth getting into detail on the Sentinel as it supposed to be withdrawn once its no longer needed in Afghanistan, according to the SDSR?
    It is due to be withdrawn after Afghanistan but don't forget the Rivet Joint (aka RC135 or Airseeker) coming in with its SIGINT capabilities. An asset which is purported to be able to do what the Sentinel can do and more. That and it is still in service till at least 2015 so a good few years left yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socaddict)
    Im atill learning what it does and where its based as it is still an operational RAF Aircraft. The only other bit im including is the squadron, im not going to go into the details of its systems etc

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Spearmint!

I found this for you as I accessed the CAS's view through work so I don't think you'll be able to view it.

I found this though, it is however by the old CDS Air Chief Marshall Sir Jock Stirrup but it broadly emulates what the CAS has said.

http://www.rfa-association.org/cms/a...S-1-1-UREV.PDF

ReputationRep:
    Just checked my emails and OC PSF sent me acknowledgement of a letter from the OASC detailing the fact that I 'Have been listed for further consideration and a decision will be made on your application once Into Training Targets have been confirmed.'

So this'll be the sift process I have heard so much about?

ReputationRep:
    How long after your OASC did you hear this?

This may well be the Sift. However the Sift is used to fill up courses that have spare spaces. I.e. the applicants arent quite 'top of the class' but are still very good and may get a place.

But, the February intake is filled, and all branch quotas for this financial year are full. The new amounts have not yet been released, so it has not been decided how many (for example) ABMs are required next year. Your wording suggests you may be waiting for hti srather than in the sift.

Obvously I dont know for sure, perahps someone out there know more.

Will

Ps passed my OASC yesterday, perhaps ill get a similar email soon!

Just checked my emails and OC PSF sent me acknowledgement of a letter from the OASC detailing the fact that I 'Have been listed for further consideration and a decision will be made on your application once Into Training Targets have been confirmed.'

So this'll be the sift process I have heard so much about?

ReputationRep:
    Ps passed my OASC yesterday, perhaps ill get a similar email soon!
    Nice one, it shows you that all the effort is worth it in the end. Fingers crossed for both of us!

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd bring this thread back to life and ask how things are looking in terms of ABM recruitment post SDSR?
    I'm off down to OASC for aptitude tests at the weekend, anyone else going to be there?

ReputationRep:
    Still awaiting the ITT's for 2011 / 2012 and this is pretty much recent info as I contacted the OASC Recruitment last week. Hopefully by the end of January they will have a good idea on what they require.

ReputationRep:
    As I like to keep my ear to the ground, the old jungle drums told me this week that the ITT's for the FY 2011-2012 are now pretty much known. I contacted the Candidate Processing people at the OASC to see if more has been decided on with respect to the future recruitment of ABM's and have been told to expect some form of correspondence in the next 2 weeks.

So if anybody else is awaiting such a decision, the very best of luck to you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I heard the same thing via Candidate processing today so fingers crossed for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    It is time that this thread was 'reanimated' so to speak.

I have been informed that I will join the July intake for IOT following of course, a successful attendance of a Familiarisation course. A result that I am very happy about considering the great effort I have mustered since early last year.

Has anybody else received any news?

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations Spearmint it's good to hear some good news and not just woeful news we have heard so much of late!

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I wonder if you can help - I've heard a rumour that there is going to be or already is a fast track SNCO ABM branch. Does anyone know anything about this and can shed any light? Also what the qualifications / apptitude that will be required. I have just today sat an apptitude test at the AFCO and failed on the spacial reasoning part doh! Everything else is well above what I need for any of the ground trades but spacial reasoning has brought me down as it's the one that I need for ATC SNCO so I am unable to apply for it but someone mentioned about SNCO ABM - can't find any info on it at RAF careers.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah_jason700)
    Hello!
    I wonder if you can help - I've heard a rumour that there is going to be or already is a fast track SNCO ABM branch. Does anyone know anything about this and can shed any light? Also what the qualifications / apptitude that will be required. I have just today sat an apptitude test at the AFCO and failed on the spacial reasoning part doh! Everything else is well above what I need for any of the ground trades but spacial reasoning has brought me down as it's the one that I need for ATC SNCO so I am unable to apply for it but someone mentioned about SNCO ABM - can't find any info on it at RAF careers.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)
    Unless they're introducing a new trade there's no such thing. And I'd be amazed if they were introducing a new trade.
    There's Aerospace Systems Operators, but no direct entry SNCO route afaik.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be too surprised Drewski if they did introduce it, they did for ATC afterall and they are pretty similar, although ABM can be aircrew so that would make it abit less likely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.