Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Spoke to my OASC about the visit. Apparantly they had already put me down for it . On a reserve list for the one coming up in december.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mooresy001)
    Spoke to my OASC about the visit. Apparantly they had already put me down for it . On a reserve list for the one coming up in december.
    Mooresy,

Check your PMs

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jason.faceplant)
    Just a little bit more info, you don't choose your stream (perhaps you know this already) but instead you're put into what you qualify for after the aptitude testing.

From what i have gathered so far, the Space stream is quite minor and still something that is being developed so chances are you'll be put in Weapons or Surveillance with the chance you could be streamed space later on (this i'm unsure about).

After doing visits to Waddington/Scampton or Boulmer you'll get a better picture, but i'm also favouring Weapons at the minute.

I was told however not to pin my hopes and dreams on one stream since it's really not a matter of what you want to do but instead what you're capable of.

Oh and don't ask any ABM "Which stream is best?" because they will always say theirs Although the ensuing argument between the two is quite entertaining :p:
    Yeah, was just saying as far as preference goes! To be honest, I would find any of them pretty amazing so am looking forward now, quietly confident about the interview and hopefully on to OASC for jan/feb time or so I've been told that's when it should be!

I'll have to make sure im in a room with a couple of ABM's in different streams so that I can see what happens then i'll just say whichever one those two aren't haha!

Out of interest, what kind of scope is there for movement within ABM? So for example if you're streamed space, is there any chance in the future to move to surv or weapons if you're good enough for it?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by jack_frost)
    I'll have to make sure im in a room with a couple of ABM's in different streams so that I can see what happens
    We don't give them rooms with windows - so beware!

ReputationRep:
    Apparently this makes them appear a little unusual to the rest of the world!

On a sidenote, my OASC was brought forwards, compared to my expected date, of late feb/early march upto Dec 20th. I was aware the branch was open to recruitment when i first applied (early jan'09) but is there still a high demand for the trade? Just seems a little unusual since my filter was Oct 22nd.

ReputationRep:

On a sidenote, my OASC was brought forwards, compared to my expected date, of late feb/early march upto Dec 20th. I was aware the branch was open to recruitment when i first applied (early jan'09) but is there still a high demand for the trade? Just seems a little unusual since my filter was Oct 22nd.

If your branch chioces are open then the the whole process can move very swiftly. I had a timeframe of 2 months from the day I submitted the forms to OASC.

With regards your chances of moving between weapons and surv, If your are not streamed weapons the next step down is surveillance, The ABMs will not say that about themselves but if your not suited for weapons you just aren't. I don't know about any weaponers that have subsequently jumped after qualifying, Viz would be able to tell you more.

ReputationRep:

There is still a big need for ABM's at the moment, so probably been brought forward for that. Weapons is obviously the best stream and surveillance is for those who can't hack weapons, and space is for those who can't hack surveillance.*

*All personal opinion of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Not true PS! They are allowed windows - they just have to be blacked out...

Two other points have been brought out and sort of answered by other posters.

Firstly, there is a continuing need for ABMs, which is why the process is moving so swiftly - we are yet to reach our 'into Service' target for recruitees.

Secondly, the whole streaming / aptitude matter (and here I'm likely to open a can of worms...) It is commonly taken to mean that Weapons is the 'superior' stream, then Surveillance, then Space. I have to disagree, as this perception is something that really annoys me. Weapons relies on provision of a tactical, recognised radar picture in order for control and situational awareness building to take place at sufficient distance to the threat to make it effective. Therefore, Surveillance is a requisite. Without that picture they wouldn't be able to provide the necessary data to the aircrew. At that point, the aircrew would likely turn around, since they have the radar, and simply crack on themselves. Hence no requirement for a Weapons stream. Someone may well say, well we can link that Surveillance data direct to the aircraft, so why do we need Weapons? The answer is that for the bulk of operations that sort of data would simply not be appropriate and the human-in-the-loop is an absolute requirement. Likewise, if there was no requirement for a Weapons stream, why would we need Surveillance? You can produce all the pretty pictures you want, but without someone to implement that data, the effort is pretty worthless. Space is no different. My feeling is that if you enter into this sort of thinking you ultimately talk yourself out of a role, when really, you should be advocating the Specialization as a whole. We provide a critical capability and that is recognised by the other Services as well - I've posted on here about the Air/Land Integration side of things previously.

As I've said before, it all comes down to aptitude and ultimately there are some differences in the aptitudes required. That is all. The core aptitudes are the ability to very rapidly assimilate information, make a quick, accurate decision based on the info you have and then rapidly and accurately communicate that outward. All in a highly time-compressed environment, under a high workload. That's common to all streams. The jobs are equally difficult and each has their unique pressures. Anything else, including my earlier comments, is banter and, sometimes, it's mis-placed.

Right, personal views expressed - here endeth the sermon!

As to swapping streams, it is possible for someone who has been identified at ABMSC to have some aptitude for Weapons Control to be re-streamed after a period of 'operational consolidation', ie operating as an IDO. They will have to re-sit the ABMSC to confirm their aptitude. Ultimately, that's about mitigating training risk. Likewise, people have 'handed in' their control ticket and been re-streamed Surveillance, but that's rare. In fact both cases are rare. As I said in an earlier post, people streamed Space will have the option to re-stream to Surveillance at a later stage, again following a re-sit of the ABMSC to mitigate the training risk. Short story, if you have the aptitude, you may be able to swap. The bottom line is why you would want to in the first place?

Again, as I've said before, people get very hung up about this when there's no need. If the role sounds interesting and pushes your buttons, go for it. Do ABMSC and find out - that is the only way to know!

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    After seeing both Weapons and Surviellance in action i had moments where i thought "that's what i'd like to do" to both streams.

I sat with an IDO (Identifcation Officer) for a good 50 minutes watching him label and assess the RAP on his multiple screens and i was impressed and liked the idea of having many things happening at once and keeping an eye on several strangely behaving aircraft.

Then on the flip side i've sat through several sortie both foreign allied and domestic and was also fascinated by the way the instruction and whole system worked.

That being said there isn't a desire of "i want that stream" but it does leave me curious as to whether the people who say "i want to stream..." have actually been on station visits.

Either way, when you tell your civvy friends what it is you do, they'll be equally impressed whether its, protecting the interests of our nation or controlling fast jets in combat situations. Not that you would join the RAF purely to impress your mates :P:

ReputationRep:
    Just for clarification, my last post was meant to be a bit of banter. All three streams are important in their own right and are difficult in different ways. I actually had a preference of surveillance but was streamed weapons!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captainusa)
    Just for clarification, my last post was meant to be a bit of banter. All three streams are important in their own right and are difficult in different ways. I actually had a preference of surveillance but was streamed weapons!

That was only after you failed at the AFCO to become one of the choosen 'LOGISTICIANS'

ReputationRep:
    Either way, when you tell your civvy friends what it is you do, they'll be equally impressed whether its, protecting the interests of our nation or controlling fast jets in combat situations. Not that you would join the RAF purely to impress your mates :P:
    Jason, in response to your comment above, what you'll generally find when you tell your civvie mates that you're an ABM is that they'll go 'Huh? Is that like Air Traffic?' :eek: Obviously, when you explain it a bit more they are usually quite impressed! However, it's probably best to avoid the "I'm the security blanket that lets you sleep at night...", which someone once tried on an impressionable young lady. He wasn't successful!

(Original post by Captainusa)
    Just for clarification, my last post was meant to be a bit of banter... I actually had a preference of surveillance but was streamed weapons!
    So there's still hope for you yet? Ok, so banter is banter and fair enough. I'd just like to clarify for people who are not in on it that it is solely banter and should be taken as such!

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Ive got an interview at AFCO Southend on the 26th. apart from learning Aircraft, Advantages and Disadvantages of RAF Life, NATO and the Training structure is there anything else i should know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jsadler1990)
    Ive got an interview at AFCO Southend on the 26th. apart from learning Aircraft, Advantages and Disadvantages of RAF Life, NATO and the Training structure is there anything else i should know?
    I am not AFCO personnel, and it's been a while, so I couldn't really say ! Enthusiasm counts for a lot... And the search facility is your friend! Plus, have you triedthis?

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    After seeing both Weapons and Surviellance in action i had moments where i thought "that's what i'd like to do" to both streams.

I sat with an IDO (Identifcation Officer) for a good 50 minutes watching him label and assess the RAP on his multiple screens and i was impressed and liked the idea of having many things happening at once and keeping an eye on several strangely behaving aircraft.

Then on the flip side i've sat through several sortie both foreign allied and domestic and was also fascinated by the way the instruction and whole system worked.

That being said there isn't a desire of "i want that stream" but it does leave me curious as to whether the people who say "i want to stream..." have actually been on station visits.

Any preference I've stated is purely based on a few things that I had read so far (I've read a lot more about it all now) but to say preference isn't to say that I would not adore any of the other streams, all 3 would be amazingly interesting and challenging, and that is what I'm looking for. I have yet to make a station visit but will be looking at doing that early December hopefully, once I've got my new car, life would be a lot easier travel wise then!

It was merely a musing with regards to scope of changing streams. Whichever I get put into I would throw myself at it and really enjoy it! It's the only thing for it!

ReputationRep:
    Shameless bump, but I wondered if anyone had seen these?

Be warned; the first couple are massively out of date, hence slightly inaccurate!

Fighter Controller Part 1

Fighter Controller Part 2

Reza Jaffri - ABM for a Day.

'Their Country Needs You' Recruiting Video. Apparently the least successful recruitment video we've had. For my money it's the most accurate depiction of how we go about business these days - An ABM could well be actively involved at several points during the mission. And it still makes hairs stand up on the back of my neck. Yes, I'm cabbagey!

I was trying to find the latest ABM Careers ones, but they seem to have been taken off youtube .

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Lady said Battle Management!

Interesting to watch regardless of the date released

Just a quick question about OASC, my date was pushed forwards as i mentioned before but for the interview i'm not entirely sure what will come up different to the filter, is it just more intense/in-depth?

Not trying to derail the thread but < 1month away and i'm getting jittery :woo:

Looking forward to it regardless and hopefully straight onto IOT then SABM! I'll be at Boulmer in no time, no? :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you'll be fine Jason mate, it's probably excited nerves right? Good luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question about OASC, my date was pushed forwards as i mentioned before but for the interview i'm not entirely sure what will come up different to the filter, is it just more intense/in-depth?

Not trying to derail the thread but < 1month away and i'm getting jittery :woo:
    Hi Jason,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. The interview will be in far more depth than the filter - but don't fret, there is an interview question thread on TSR in this forum somewhere - it has all the gen you could ever need. One thing people have been saying recently is that they're focussing more on Air Power and its application and utility, I believe. Again, don't panic, there's a thread on here - dig into that and get amongst the google!

I believe the interview structure has changed, however. What I recall is that there were 2 interviewers, a Sqn Ldr and a Wg Cdr, and thay barraged me with questions - in a good way... As soon as they heard what they needed they were straight in with another question, regardless of whether I'd finished my piece or not!

Hold your head up high, wear a winning smile (clothes are good, too!) and admit if you don't know something- that shows more nouse than trying to scrabble a half-a^%&d answer from thin air- but then be preapred express some sort of opinion! I did this - spectacularly - when asked to discuss something that had affected transport recently. 'No idea' says I. 'The petrol crisis?' says the interviewer. 'Oh. That...' says I! Have a considered opinion and be prepared to defend it... reasonably. They won't ask you about stuff you clearly know...

Just have fun. Hope to see you up here shortly!

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Hold your head up high, wear a winning smile (clothes are good, too!) and admit if you don't know something
    To my understanding i'll be wearing sweats and/or green overalls not sure how much that'll go in my favour as far as comfort goes :P:

I am very much aware of air power and a lot of the papers in the APR are really quite interesting and helping me form my own opinions. Practicing situational exercises, reading the news, APRs (read AP3000 also), keeping fit and eating (i'm underweight so fixing this) i don't have a lot of time for anything else!

Should all pay off soon though many thanks for the help so far

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.