Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'll ask as well. Serious question - is there something standard that ex-ABMs do? I've known a couple of guys over the years and they left and went into very random things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theo1977)
    Lots of gin, a whisper of vermouth. Stir. Don't use ice, just make sure everything is chilled beyond belief.

Never, ever, shake a martini - and CERTAINLY not with ice.

For personal preference (and future reference), I like a bit of lemon zest in mine.
    Ah, but which gin? And which Vermouth?

(Original post by Drewski)
    Why did 'they' change the name? Is it simply because we don't really have 'fighters' anymore?
    Thanks Drewski,

To your point: Not so; the F-2 is still classed as a 'fighter', it will be the FGR-4 which will be the true swing-role aircraft. The name changed as there was a growing realisation with the increase in uptake of the Branch with the other Services that what we do as a whole is vastly more than fighter, or Weapons Control. The title had become a mis-nomer when it ignored half the Branch! First / second tourist Weapons Controllers predominantly focus on fighter control, in the pure sense, but as I've said previously what the Branch does as a whole is more about management of a battlespace, with the focus being on air and, increasingly space - hence Aerospace Battle Manager. (See what I did there?)

(Original post by ProStacker)
    Serious question - is there something standard that ex-ABMs do? I've known a couple of guys over the years and they left and went into very random things.
    Thanks also PS, that's a very relevant question. I think it depends at what stage (age, rank, so on) you leave and where you end up in the Branch (last few jobs). Some ex-Controllers have gone across to NATS, but, as has been pointed out elsewhere, it's not an easy transition. Military ATC and Weapons Control are different beasts to civilian ATC, so they have to re-train just the same as an ab-initio...

Some more senior people have moved into 'consulting' with companies like BAe, Thales and Staysis - generally you need to have developed a procurement or data-link background to do that. I know of one guy who left to become a train-driver!

I think what you're driving at is a valid concern, especially if you are looking at an SSC - there's no direct correlation between a job as an ABM and an identifiable civilian job - like the ABM=/=ATC problem...

Whilst the RAF are getting better at translating lots of the Officer-general qualifications we receive into nationally recognised equivalents, ABM is fairly unique... so it could present a difficulty in the short- to medium-term, if that's your gameplan.

People do PVR - I'm aware I've painted a reasonably rosy picture on here; it's not all cups of tea and martinis! Shift work can cause friction, we're lacking manpower as much as any branch in the RAF and that does impact leave / training / personal life, despite line-manager's best efforts. So, there are difficulties and some people (the unfortunate ones who didn't get to read this thread ) do find they're in a career that doesn't float their boat. So they PVR. I've just remembered: one chap left recently to join the Atomic Energy Authority Police - which looks fun!

What I'm really saying is that, as an ABM, there is no direct correlation between your job and civilian employment. However, you will be experienced as an Officer if you leave early, and as one who is used to delivering whilst working and managing people under difficult and stressful conditions. That gives you desireable transfereable skills for a, potentially, wider range of post-RAF careers than someone who is focussed on logistics, say. That's not to say they wouldn't have the same experience, I mean they have directly transferable loggie skills! Also, not saying ours is the only stressful job in the RAF, even Admin-ers can get stressed 'if they drop a pencil', apparently .

I'll make no bones about it - I love my career, most of the time! No job is perfect. I've also got a PC and I intend to serve it out, so this is not something I've seriously considered at the moment. I've worked in business before the RAF and whilst the money was great, the lifestyle (I worked in the City) really wasn't a patch on that in the Services - even under current conditions. I have far more responsibility now, less money (if we're talking equivalency for responsibility/pay) but much more interesting options available to me than another meeting to discuss a PFI contract (just been to Singapore for 3 weeks with work)... I do miss the lawyer's biscuits though - law firms have good biscuits!

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    That was something i was wondering about today actually, though it is a long way down the line and i've not even passed OASC yet! But it is something a friend asked me this morning

"What will you do afterwards?"
    "Err...hummm... i'll get back to you on that"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jason.faceplant)
    That was something i was wondering about today actually, though it is a long way down the line and i've not even passed OASC yet! But it is something a friend asked me this morning

"What will you do afterwards?"
    "Err...hummm... i'll get back to you on that"
    TBH, we should have plenty of time to think about it. Many of the guys I worked with before I joined the mob were ex-Army and had got into business on the strength of the leadership and management experience they'd gained. They were mostly ex-Captains (Flt Lt equivalent), so unless you're planning to leave in the next 18-months or so...

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    filter went well, my app has been forwarded to Cranwell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack_frost)
    Good news! Hopefully you won't have to wait too long to get a date...

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    If it's anything like mine, 3 weeks for the letter then 5weeks till OASC!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Vizzini,

I've arrived back today from my RJP with you guys at Boulmer. I had a fabulous time and having the chance to see the facility and speak to everyone provided a really great insight into what goes on - much demystification! It was also good to meet others who are up to a similar stage in the recruitment process, most of the people on the RJP were about to go through OASC between next week and around February time; it was a great opportunity for tip swapping. A much recommended experience!

I'll let you know how I get on with my OASC, I'm booked for Jan 19th.

Hope to see you again!

Leona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anoel696)
    Hi Vizzini,

I've arrived back today from my RJP with you guys at Boulmer. I had a fabulous time and having the chance to see the facility and speak to everyone provided a really great insight into what goes on - much demystification! It was also good to meet others who are up to a similar stage in the recruitment process, most of the people on the RJP were about to go through OASC between next week and around February time; it was a great opportunity for tip swapping. A much recommended experience!

I'll let you know how I get on with my OASC, I'm booked for Jan 19th.

Hope to see you again!

Leona
    Hi Leona,

It was good to meet you at the Meet & Greet night and I hope you enjoyed the weather! Glad you found it all useful and thank you for making those points - it does emphasize how useful the RJP is for an application. I hope we'll see in you in the New Year - good luck with OASC on 19 Jan!

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    A question based on Q_M's list of potential OASC questions:

"How is the RAF organised?"

Would i be valid in using the CRC structure as an example of my knowledge, because frankly, i'm not at all aware of how the WHOLE RAF is structured :P

Here is my potential response:

From what i have seen on my station visits, this being mostly apparent at the CRC at RAF Scampton, the organisation is based on rank/seniority of the officers and operational staff. With the least experienced members of the team performing their duties as commanded by the officer above them, be it a weapons controller or identification officer. Who in turn reports to their director on either end of the so-called "banana" in the CRC. Approaching the upper-most level of seniority are the decision makers who communicate between branches allowing everyone to know what is happening regarding a situation if they require such information.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You've been asked the question "how is the RAF organised?" and you've answered the question "how is a typical CRC organised?" So I'd say no, that wouldn't be valid.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so possibly:

Initially into three groups: 1 Group, 2 Group and 22 Group which are then broken down into seperate branches and have their own responsibilities. These being projecting air power, supporting our forces and recruitment/training.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so possibly:

Initially into three groups: 1 Group, 2 Group and 22 Group which are then broken down into seperate branches and have their own responsibilities. These being projecting air power, supporting our forces and recruitment/training.
    Hi Jason,

I have to say that I agree with Wzz's response. Also, what you've added here is alright as a starter for 10, in that it's the basic top-level organisation. However, I recommend you dig into this and develop a broader understanding of how we are currently structured before you get to OASC. Your answer above will just be a starting point for the interviewers to drill down further into your knowledge and understanding of the wider RAF.

Your understanding of the CRC structure could, however, be used as an illustrative example of a command chain / hierarchy, but that's going to be about the limit for that. More research, methinks !

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Also, while I'm on here this morning I have some some updated information in the pipeline, but I need to check out the details before posting. Please stand by...

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Under the Chief of the Air Staff and the Assistant Chief of the Air Staff there is the Commander in Chief Air who is of the highest seniority within the personnel and operations areas of the RAF.

Both personnel and operations have their own Commander in Chief which are Deputies to the Commander in Chief Air.

Three groups are formed under these two different branches (personnel and operations). These being 1 Group, 2 Group - which fall under Operations, and 22 Group - personnel.

Each group has its own Air Officer Commanding while personnel and operations also have their respective Chief of Staff.

Lower down in the chain of command is the same hierachy an example of which i could give is a CRC, note: RAF Scampton.

Better? although i knew this already i didn't think it was the answer that wanted of me.

Also: got my RJP for RAF Boulmer (16-18 Feb) although my OASC is in 10 days...

ReputationRep:
    Better? although i knew this already i didn't think it was the answer that wanted of me.

Also: got my RJP for RAF Boulmer (16-18 Feb) although my OASC is in 10 days...
    Jason,

It seems alright to me, but then I'm not a selector... As to your confusion over what was required, don't fret - if you start to head down the wrong path they'll head you off and clarify their questioning. After all, they're not there to fail you, the only person that can do that is yourself...

As to your second point, I shouldn't worry about that either. It is extremely desireable to have done an RJP before OASC as it does help to see what I've written about in action, in order to fix it correctly in your mind, however, it is not an absolute requirement. As an example, I read the blue sheet at OASC, back in the days when you could change your choices whilst there based on your aptitude scores. I didn't go on an RJP until a month before I began IOT!

Realistically, OASC is about assessing the following:

a. Your capability to act as a leader and an effective follower;

b. your demonstration of the sorts of qualities required of an officer;

c. Your enthusiasm for the role;

d. Trainability.

To those points, the fact you have arranged to attend an RJP demonstrates initiative and enthusiasm for the role so I would say that's in your favour, but I'm no expert.

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    OKay, thanks for that, i'll just keep extending my knowledge the best i can. My RJP timing would of been fine if i had been put on the board i was expected to be on, March, but hearing yours was just before IOT makes me feel better Atleast my name is down for one now.

ReputationRep:
    Dear Vizzini,

Hi, I completed OASC on 4th November along with 7 other candidates. ABM is my first-choice branch and I am eagerly aniticipating my letter coming through. It has, however, been 5 weeks since I returned now and they told me at OASC it would be 'around 3 weeks to hear for correspondence'. I have rang several times but been told very little (understandably) over the phone. 6 of the other 7 candidates have had their letters offering them positions/re-reviews etc but im still waiting, checking that post everyday.

They told me its something to do with ABM aptitude tests and there is meetings going on- do you know more about this? (that many young officers are failing their aptitudes after the 6-week ABM foundation course at Boulmer).

Im concerned as I only achieved a 108 score for ABM with 100 being a pass. Are they considering increasing the ABM cut off score or anything like that? Could they offer me other branches that I have not put down, such as ATC, which I believe is a priority, and which I scored better on with a 129. At least I have flight ops and admin down as branches also.

Any info would be hugely appreciated

Many thanks,

Adam

ReputationRep:
    I believe Flt Ops and Admin are both closed at the moment, Adam. Didn't they say anything about that at OASC?

It's certainly not unheard of for them to offer you a different branch to those you've chosen, depending on aptitudes and branch requirements, but it's done on a case-by-case basis, as far as I am aware - and hardly anything is open at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Theo,

They didnt say too much about my other branches to be honest, though I was under the impression those other branches were closed. Its just intriguing how nearly everyone else who completed oasc ith me found out within 2 weeks, even if it was a letter to say we will re-review you in January, and I havnt heard anything. All I know is that it is to do with my chosen branch (ABM, I was the only one of my lot going for it) and am really hoping any of you guys may know a little more...

Many thanks again

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 7, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.