Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm a Faculty of Arts student at the University of Glasgow, and just going into my 2nd year. Apart from the occasional stop-and-chat / smalltalk thing with a few people, I'm finding it hard to make actual friends, which is making it a bit dull between lectures. Anyone else in the same boat?

I'm in my twenties, coming back after dropping out a few years ago, so with the age gap that makes it more difficult - and I'm pretty shy anyway which doesn't help either. Maybe it gets easier when you get into 2nd year and the classes are smaller? Just wondered if anyone has had the same problem, and if so how did you deal with it? Feel free to send me a message,

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I guess you never really met anyone in halls or did you live near enough to not go?

Join some club that is something you enjoy doing. Wether it's sports, arts, computing or anything. You'll meet people with the same interests as you.

If you don't wanna do that, just be more socialable with people in your class

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leftofthedial)
    Hey,

I'm a Faculty of Arts student at the University of Glasgow, and just going into my 2nd year. Apart from the occasional stop-and-chat / smalltalk thing with a few people, I'm finding it hard to make actual friends, which is making it a bit dull between lectures. Anyone else in the same boat?

I'm in my twenties, coming back after dropping out a few years ago, so with the age gap that makes it more difficult - and I'm pretty shy anyway which doesn't help either. Maybe it gets easier when you get into 2nd year and the classes are smaller? Just wondered if anyone has had the same problem, and if so how did you deal with it? Feel free to send me a message,

Thanks
    Are you a member of any clubs or societies? If not, then is there anything that interests you enough to join?

You will probably have tutorials, make an attempt to talk to people there and if possible, in lectures too.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one thinking this thread is adorable?

Join a few clubs, smile at a few more people, add people on facebook!

It's much easier to organise social things on facebook if you're shy.

Also make sure you actually KNOW the people you add on fb.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine had the same problem at Glasgow University a few years ago and she had no friends when she was going into her second year and hated it. However she met her boyfriend/ fiancé in second year and her life got a lot better. In second year she jointed more clubs e.g. a band and met people through that, so joining societies/ sports clubs should help. The SU website I'm assuming will have information about those.

ReputationRep:
    If you've got leisure time in between classes and studying, you should consider joining social/ sports clubs. It makes it so much easier to make friends since you'll see these people on a regular basis, and you'll be able to have relevant followup conversations.

It can be tricky to make friends just walking along the hallway and in classes because for the most part no one really wants to be there anyway.

I'll be new to Glasgow in Sept and I plan on joining as many clubs as tehre are hours in the day!

Best of luck dude!

heh, im in exactly the same position. i got on well with my flatmates and people on my course and could to talk to them easily, but i never really clicked with anyone that made me want to spend time with them outside of lectures, etc. if that makes any sense lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah this seems to be a problem at Glasgow...

ReputationRep:
    aww man, I always hate to see this in the other faculties. Is there anyone you chat to that you could say "here are you up for coffee/nightout/drinks?"

It makes me so thankful that I'm so close to my class mates but of course they do say that the medical faculty is ridiculously clique. I don't think I could have survived moving country with out them.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.