Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you found out that if you got into your insurance (in my case, the University of Edinburgh) you would only be offered bunk bedded shared catered accommodation..what would you do?
    I'm used to having my own room, and it would feel a bit strange sharing with people I do not know for a year, and there would be quite a lack of privacy. Plus, I had wanted self-catered as I'm quite fussy and a vegetarian. I have about a week to decide what to do...any advice would be appreciated!
    Does anyone currently have this type of accommodation? If so, what is it like?

ReputationRep:
    I don't get the email...

Is it only if you have APPLIED to pollock halls

or is every first year going to be put there?

I really really really don't want to share a room. But if you deny the offer does that mean no accomodation?! hmm
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    Usually you'll only be placed in shared rooms if there's nowhere else left and it's usually only on a temp basis until a room opens up. If it's a certain all-year kinda thing then you could perhaps look into private halls nearby or consider a houseshare if it's really that important. Bunked rooms are usually okay enough to not go insane but if it's not what you want then you'll have to consider other things.

If you do get to share - get the top bunk. I've had friends that were pee'd on by drunken roommates sleeping above them.

Also: it's a maybe! You'll get into your firm I'm sure!

ReputationRep:
    Glad I didn't put Edinburgh as my insurance now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snoogy)
    Usually you'll only be placed in shared rooms if there's nowhere else left and it's usually only on a temp basis until a room opens up. If it's a certain all-year kinda thing then you could perhaps look into private halls nearby or consider a houseshare if it's really that important. Bunked rooms are usually okay enough to not go insane but if it's not what you want then you'll have to consider other things.

If you do get to share - get the top bunk. I've had friends that were pee'd on by drunken roommates sleeping above them.

Also: it's a maybe! You'll get into your firm I'm sure!
    Sadly this doesn't seem temporary!

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH - ACTION REQUIRED

Dear Applicant

You are currently holding a Conditional Insurance offer for study at the University of Edinburgh commencing September 2009 and you will know in due course whether you have met the criteria for that place.

Once again this year, the University of Edinburgh has been very successful in attracting new students and, whilst this is very positive indeed, it does place some strain on the accommodation we have available for first year undergraduates.

The University provides a guarantee of accommodation to all first year students normally resident outside the City of Edinburgh boundary. This year we have no choice other than to allocate a larger number of students to shared accommodation - a mixture of twin bedded and, mostly, bunk bedded rooms.

As a result, and with some regret, we have to advise you that, if you are successful in obtaining a place at the University of Edinburgh for September 2009 which you then accept and if you have already applied for University accommodation or intend to do so before the deadline of 16 August 2009, then you will ONLY BE MADE AN OFFER OF BUNK BEDDED CATERED ACCOMMODATION AT POLLOCK HALLS.

We understand that this might influence any decision you make in respect of Edinburgh and so felt you would appreciate early notice of this inevitable situation.

Please consider this information very carefully, as we need you to take the following action before Friday 24 July 2009:

A: If you have already applied for accommodation, or intend to do so before 16 August 2009, and the allocation of bunk bedded accommodation as outlined above would be acceptable, then please reply to this email by either (a) clicking here and sending or (b) reply to this email by typing 'ACCEPT' and your full name in the subject line.

B: If you have applied for University accommodation but do NOT wish to accept this type of bunk bedded accommodation, please reply to this email by either (a) clicking here and sending or (b) reply to this email by typing 'DECLINE' and your full name in the subject line. We will then assume that, in doing so, you have withdrawn your accommodation application. This will NOT affect your application to study at the University of Edinburgh.

If, for whatever reason, you do not respond to this email by 24 July 2009, we shall assume you understand that any application you have already made for University accommodation, or may make in due course, will only result in an offer for bunk bedded catered accommodation.

It is of course very possible that the decision required above may impact upon your decision to come to the University of Edinburgh this year. You are strongly recommended to discuss any such non-accommodation concerns as soon as possible with the appropriate College admissions office.

Thank you
    Allocations Department
    Accommodation Services
    The University of Edinburgh
    :|

ReputationRep:
    I work with someone who was put in a twin room in her first year at uni. When she got married, her room-mate was her bridesmaid! - so, the first thing I would say is, it may not be all bad, even if it isn't what you were expecting.

Breaking this down, first of all, we're talking about your insurance place. How likely is it that you won't get the grades for your firm? Because it may be that you don't need to think about this at all, let alone worry about it!

If you did end up going there, it seems to me you have three choices.

1) Accept a bunk-bedded room. It may not be exactly what you had in mind, but you'd be guaranteed somewhere to stay with no fuss, it would probably be cheaper than a single room, and this type of accommodation is often very friendly and enjoyable to live in (often more so than, say, new en-suite rooms, where people are just a bit more insulated from one another).

2) Still go, but find accommodation elsewhere. The downside of this is that you'd obviously have to go to the trouble of finding it, and depending on where you lived, it could affect your social experience for the year (not necessarily in a bad way - living in a house with other students is actually really nice, it's just a bit different from living in halls). The big plus here is that you know you'd have your room to yourself.

3) Don't go. However, you'd need to talk this through with them, as I'm not sure exactly where you'd stand UCAS-wise (whether you could, or would want to, go into clearing; or whether you'd be taking an unplanned gap year).

I personally would go with either 1) or 2), but really, only you can make this decision.

What I would say, though, is that it isn't absolutely clear from the e-mail you've received, exactly where you would stand contractually if you wanted to change your mind later on. If you decline the bunk-bedded room now, then that's that - they just won't accommodate you. But, if you accept it, does that mean you're committed to a contract? Or, are you just saying that you intend to accept that contract if, as and when they send it to you? I ask because what I would be tempted to do, if it were possible, is accept the room but then see whether I could find anything better, if I actually ended up going there - but this is only possible (or, at any rate, sensible) if you haven't firmly committed to paying anything. If I were you, I would ask them:

If I reply and 'accept' this e-mail, am I committing myself to accepting a contract?
    If not, when would my contract be issued and what would be the deadline for my accepting it?
    If I wanted to change my mind prior to or after arriving, would I be able to, and would there be any financial penalties?
    What are your policies regarding distance selling?

(The final question relates to distance selling legislation which might be interpreted as giving you some rights to get out of your contract prior to or on arrival, though probably not beyond that - worth asking because if you knew you could use this as a get-out, say, up to when you arrived, it would give you more options).

If I were you, I'd try to get answers to these questions, as you'd then know a bit more about exactly where you stand. But, on the plus side, they're being really straight with you about the situation (where they could just wait until a couple of weeks before students arrive and then tell you), and it's clear you can have a room, which not all unis can offer.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I would find other accommodation. But that's just because a shared room in catered halls would be my worst nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    I got this e-mail too so I guess if I don't get into my firm choice uni (which I'm about 80% confident I will) I guess it'll be a gap year for me because I'm the fussiest eater ever and I've never shared a room as like my own space!!

ReputationRep:
    hmm, is it only the insurance people who have got this email then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura_beth)
    I don't get the email...

Is it only if you have APPLIED to pollock halls

or is every first year going to be put there?

I really really really don't want to share a room. But if you deny the offer does that mean no accomodation?! hmm
    It's not just for people who have applied to Pollock halls, as I didn't apply for it at all due to it being catered, and for me catered would be a bit of a waste of money as there would be no guarantee I would turn up for every paid-for meal and I am a very fussy eater. The website even says that vegetarians etc would probably prefer self-catered.
    And it seems that if you deny the offer there is no accommodation..

ReputationRep:
    It's still going to cost about £4000+ for the year, despite having to share a room!

ReputationRep:
    can you not get private accomadation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fungirl1234)
    can you not get private accomadation?
    Definitely sounds like this would be a better idea especially as you won't use catered and want your privacy. To me sharing sound awful but I'm a loner! You can always accept the offer but leave out the accomodation part. Is there a forum type part on UoE website that you could put an ad for a new flat and ask if any other student would want to stay with you? I mean if you want to meet people on your course or in 1st year. Presume that was the idea behind living in halls. You could look at ads on other stuent websites for anyone looking for someone to live with too, I usually see plenty asking for students in Edinburgh to live with near the campus.

ReputationRep:
    I would just try and get private accommodation. I definitely wouldn't want to share a room with someone for the whole year, let a lone with a bunk bed.

ReputationRep:
    I think the problem getting private accomodation is that the email has been sent to the insurance applicants.

We don't know if we will be going there until the 20th august (although i'm pretty convinced, im not 100%)

So we will only have a week or so to sort out accomodation (well, results on 20th. I'm away 24th-31st august and then term starts at the start of sept)

Plus by August I'm sure a lot of the decent private accomodation will have gone!

ReputationRep:
    If a room is shared, does that mean only one desk?
    If so, then if your room-mate gets there before you...you just don't have the study space.
    There is the library...but you would have to carry your stuff quite a distance away, and even then there is risk of distractions from other people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lobster91)
    If a room is shared, does that mean only one desk?
    If so, then if your room-mate gets there before you...you just don't have the study space.
    There is the library...but you would have to carry your stuff quite a distance away, and even then there is risk of distractions from other people!
    The room you'd get would be in chancellors court, where the desk runs across the entirty of the backroom so is about 5m or so long, meaning there is theoretically enough room for 2 people to work at it.

If you haven't already (I've not checked) look at the first page of the Edinburgh accommodation thread on the Ed forum, I've added a fair amount of information about getting private accommodation if that's what you decide to do - it is really easy to do and don't think of it as not an option, as it is a realistic one which will be much cheaper than staying in Pollock. I'm also vegetarian and from what I've heard from friends, the veggie food in Pollock is nothing to get excited about, to say the least!

ReputationRep:
    Plus by August I'm sure a lot of the decent private accomodation will have gone!
    It won't be - Edinburgh has a very rolling accom process for private flats, basically the first people start looking in April time and that's for June and July contract start dates, then this carries on throughout the summer until you get to the September start dates. As all contracts are for 12 months, after first year everyone is looking at different times meaning good flats are easy to find all of the time as there isn't one peak period where once its gone its gone like in other universities. I have friends still without flats for next year as their contracts on their present flats don't run out until 31st august... they're not going to start looking until the end of august as it usually only takes a week or so if you put your mind to flat hunting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    It won't be - Edinburgh has a very rolling accom process for private flats, basically the first people start looking in April time and that's for June and July contract start dates, then this carries on throughout the summer until you get to the September start dates. As all contracts are for 12 months, after first year everyone is looking at different times meaning good flats are easy to find all of the time as there isn't one peak period where once its gone its gone like in other universities. I have friends still without flats for next year as their contracts on their present flats don't run out until 31st august... they're not going to start looking until the end of august as it usually only takes a week or so if you put your mind to flat hunting!
    Thanks for the response, if I apply and accept the bunk bed offer does this mean I have to take up the room they offer me come September?

If I go to Edinburgh it looks like I will find private accomodation, however, I would like more time to consider my options!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the response, if I apply and accept the bunk bed offer does this mean I have to take up the room they offer me come September?

If I go to Edinburgh it looks like I will find private accomodation, however, I would like more time to consider my options!
    No you wouldn't - basically you get sent an email with your offer details on it, and then you've got X amount of days in which to act and pay your deposit to accept. If you don't pay your deposit then you lose your room.... so you'd just have to let them know that you were declining the offer then they could give it to another unfortuate soul/make someones first year much better as they'd get the room to themselves!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.