Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a couple of questions I'm stuck on about aspirin. Any help appreciated.

During the making of aspirin, is an ester the functional group created?

Also, I've been told to work out a theoretical yield of aspirin, using 3g of hydroxybenzoic acid, and4ml of ethanouc anhydride, so need to work out the moles. What is the usual concentration of ethanouc anhydride used for this experiment?

Also, why is water added to the mixture after reflux, and what is the purpose of cooling using an ice bath? Does it help with crystallisation?

Thanks for any help

(Original post by definite_maybe)
    I have a couple of questions I'm stuck on about aspirin. Any help appreciated.

During the making of aspirin, is an ester the functional group created?
    Yes

Also, I've been told to work out a theoretical yield of aspirin, using 3g of hydroxybenzoic acid, and4ml of ethanouc anhydride, so need to work out the moles. What is the usual concentration of ethanouc anhydride used for this experiment?
    Pure ethanoic anhydride, not a solution, you may want the density of the liquid.

Also, why is water added to the mixture after reflux, and what is the purpose of cooling using an ice bath? Does it help with crystallisation?
    The water is added to separate the organic and inorganic components of the crude mixture.

An ice bath is used to decrease the solubility of the desired product from the crystallisation solvent (higher temperatures = more soluble, lower temperatures = less soluble).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Yes

Pure ethanoic anhydride, not a solution, you may want the density of the liquid.

The water is added to separate the organic and inorganic components of the crude mixture.

An ice bath is used to decrease the solubility of the desired product from the crystallisation solvent (higher temperatures = more soluble, lower temperatures = less soluble).
    Thank you. I haven't been given the density of the liquid to work out the theoretical yield. If the density is 1.08 (from wiki :p:) , is the mass then 1.08*4, and then use this to work out moles?

(Original post by definite_maybe)
    Thank you. I haven't been given the density of the liquid to work out the theoretical yield. If the density is 1.08 (from wiki :p:) , is the mass then 1.08*4, and then use this to work out moles?
    Yep (the density is correct)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 15, 2009
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.