Turn on thread page Beta

Easy way to increase running distance by 1 mile or more watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically i discovered this because of my current job, i do nightshifts 10 hours long and some times its hard to keep going all night.

I tried various energy drinks, cheap and expensive and conclusion is that the best one is: LIDL MiXXed UP Light

http://shop.intramart.eu/catalog/images/Mixxed%20zf.png

Cost 37p a can, pretty cheap, i exclude sugar ones

Redbull will probably give same performance but they are around quid each so no point

Worst ones are: Sainsburys bolt/Tesco Kick - i think its same stuff but different can/label

And the worst out of all is: lucozade (any make). The amount of sugar from 1litre of this is daily amount, high calories too and very little effect.

I am sure there will be safety nazis post saying there are bad for you, your heart but the only side effect so far if you drink 4-5 cans in one day you will not be able to sleep properly.

I usually drink one before i go to gym and 1 right before i get on treadmill and so far positive effect.

Just want to know what people think about this.

Thanks, Yarri

ReputationRep:
    I thought red bull type drinks were not allowed at halton? So its not much good in the long run is it?

ReputationRep:
    An easier way is to actually exercise so you become fitter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jon33)
    An easier way is to actually exercise so you become fitter.
    Yeah this might be the best way, I don't think keeping yourself going on drinks is good for you in the long run...

ReputationRep:
    Without wanting to come across as rude, I think that's the worse piece of advice I've ever seen in this part of the forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Without wanting to come across as rude, I think that's the worse piece of advice I've ever seen in this part of the forum.
    Agreed. Definately don't want to use energy drinks to improve your running distance. Do it by just cranking out the miles until you can do it off your body's own steam.

ReputationRep:
    When you're trying to improve your performance in training you're not just training your body but also your mind! Getting yourself able to go that extra mile you also have to train your mind to get used to pushing yourself that extra mile as well as your body. Sure, having the energy drink may make it easier, but it's stopping you from confronting the mental effort of pushing that bit extra which I'm sure most people will agree is a very big part of training.

Recommend ditching the energy drinks altogether...if you find you're to tired then it's your body telling you that you need to rest / sleep more.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing you need is water, and seeing as you run on tread mill, just stick a bottle in the holder (wish I had holder when running out, I always drop the bottle.)

ReputationRep:
    A little dig prehaps? :p:

Although in this circumstance it would be tempting to be so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeThomas)
    Agreed. definitely don't want to use energy drinks to improve your running distance. Do it by just cranking out the miles until you can do it off your body's own steam.
    I can't help but think that in the early stages of training the cardiovascular and muscular advantages of running an extra mile outweigh any of the disadvantages in not doing it 'off your body's own steam'. Running that extra mile will make it easier to run without supplements next time.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't do it then your body isn't strong/fit enough to do so. That is why when people exercise they take it easy to start with until they know their limits before they start pushing them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dsch)
    I can't help but think that in the early stages of training the cardiovascular and muscular advantages of running an extra mile outweigh any of the disadvantages in not doing it 'off your body's own steam'. Running that extra mile will make it easier to run without supplements next time.
    Why the early stages? If anything, I'd say exactly the opposite - beginners need to be extra careful not to push too far, too fast, because their bodies aren't used to it; it's people who've been training for a while who are more likely to get away with pushing themselves an extra mile.

I'd also argue that, if you must use them, the time for an articifial boost isn't training, it's the main event - but I wouldn't use energy drinks in any case; caffeine is dehydrating. Plenty of water, and a sensible training programme and diet are the best ways to improve performance. The odd glucose tablet won't kill you before a big effort, but I wouldn't personally go further than that in terms of "artificial boosts".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dsch)
    That sort of thinking is what will cause injuries... pushing yourself too hard too soon. If your a beginner you want to be starting of slowly, not chugging down an energy drink thinking it'll be ok to run an extra mile when your body obviously isn't ready for it. If it was you wouldn't rely on the energy drink.

I totally agree with Theo, only need water. The amount of caffine and sugar in energy drinks will just dehydrate you and make runner more difficult.

Start slowly, it'll be a bigger achievement knowing you did it all by yourself and not relying on an "artificial boost"

ReputationRep:
    Thats not being rude at all. I was going to say something worse lol

The only way to improve your running is by running and nothing else.

In case you don't know OP, the armed forces don't supply energy drinks in the battle fields :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newboyintown)

In case you don't know OP, the armed forces don't supply energy drinks in the battle fields :rolleyes:
    I was going to the say the exact same thing... but wireless keyboard was playing up so i gave up and posted what i managed to write. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I believe in energy drinks. When I was training for the London Marathon, I ran equal distances with and without energy drinks and saw no difference in performance when I drank energy drinks. They taste rubbish and are a waste of money. Training more will help you run further! End of!

ReputationRep:
    I drink a lot of Lucozade Sport, but that has more to do with me just liking the drink than believing in magical properties! [I'm not fit enough for it to make a noticeable difference]

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.