Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi

i just join the TSR

just finished my As, have you?
    well i have to start my uni application but i am stuck ..dont know where to start

got too much pressure and summer just begun.. what if my results are bad? or what if i pick the wrong course?

anyone feeling like that

do you have uni queries likem me ?

help?!
    x

ReputationRep:
    Everyone will have these queries to some extent, from the most organised students to those who leave everything to the last minute. If you don't stop and panic at some point about what university/course you've chosen, then you're not taking the whole process seriously enough. Very few people go through the process without any doubts.

You'll have to specify what you need help with though. We can't help you if your results go badly, but people on here can give you realistic advice on where to apply/what courses you're suitable for grade-wise. It's you who will ultimately have to decide what you want to study, and eventually, where as well.

ReputationRep:
    out of interest, what is your first language?

ReputationRep:
    when ur school/college takes you to ur uni info day or whatever its calld, just get as many prospectuses as u can, in particular unis ur interested in and those which offer courses based around the subects u do/are interested in....find ur course, go on ucas and see who offers it...get any prospectuses u dont have that offer ur course and get choosing, taking into account what grades u feel capable of getting

ReputationRep:
    To be honest if you're not sure what you're going to get, I'd wait til results day. You'd still have >4 weeks even if you're applying Oxbridge/medicine etc with the early deadline (and earlier deadline within schools). However if you really have NO idea what sort of grade you'll get, you'll probably find it hard to apply to realistic universities...

ReputationRep:
    Everyone I'd think is finding it difficult. We are supposed to show a completed PS when we get back to school with in the first week which isn't long after results day. So it looks as if I'll spend the whole two weeks writing it then when I actually have my grades so I can make realistic choices. Its kinda all up in the air right now. :rolleyes: I'm sure there will be teachers who you can talk to on results day too though, and they can point you in the right direction based on your results.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Start by writing your personal statement for the subject(s) you want to study. As Zygroth said, wait untill you've got your results, then you can consider what unis you want to go for.

ReputationRep:
    The otehr thing is most local areas have conexions careers offices, which can offer you support on applying to university or just checking your personal statement. Most Loacal libraries also have loads of guides of applying to universities, and books with information on the best uni's and colleges for particuliar subjects. My best advice is do your research - use the internet if you have access to it, to look at all the uni's websites and don't forget the UCAS website, as you can check out all the uni and colleges profiles on there plus any course choices that you might be interested in. You still have time, even if you want to apply to Oxford and Cambridge or any of the medical and helathcare early application courses as someone else has already said.

The hardest thing is deciding what you want to do next?

ReputationRep:
    thanks, its actuallly not that bad i'm aiming to get into the top ten unis, just nervous coz they want AAB, AAA etc but i think i'll get - the last two subject might not get as high i fink C probs or E coz i picked ict as a filler subject and i detested it so badly, bad choice..I want to got o kings or UCl to do english but i also enjoy photography and i am soo good at it i got an A in GCSE and i am still getting A at As level - my friend's dad works for burburry & he's seen my stuff and he sed i have potential in getting in the industry coz i am so good at it and i love it, so whats the problem? Well i would apply to do photography but it very very competitive, i know i will get somewhere but what i dont? My parents want me to take up something that will be worthwhile and i will get a job out of it, like its definate if that makes sense so i could go in to accountancy.. i dont know what path to take its getting me all confused..what would you do follow your heart or do what best ..what if you end up miserable (&& i l love english soo much ??

ReputationRep:
    thanks, its actuallly not that bad i'm aiming to get into the top ten unis, just nervous coz they want AAB, AAA etc but i think i'll get a ABB- the last two subject might not get as high i fink C probs or E coz i picked ict as a filler subject and i detested it so badly, bad choice..I want to got o kings or UCl to do english but i also enjoy photography and i am soo good at it i got an A in GCSE and i am still getting A at As level - my friend's dad works for burburry & he's seen my stuff and he sed i have potential in getting in the industry coz i am so good at it and i love it, so whats the problem? Well i would apply to do photography but it very very competitive, i know i will get somewhere but what i dont? My parents want me to take up something that will be worthwhile and i will get a job out of it, like its definate if that makes sense so i could go in to accountancy.. i dont know what path to take its getting me all confused..what would you do follow your heart or do what best ..what if you end up miserable (&& i l love english soo much ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HNA)
    thanks, its actuallly not that bad i'm aiming to get into the top ten unis, just nervous coz they want AAB, AAA etc but i think i'll get - the last two subject might not get as high i fink C probs or E coz i picked ict as a filler subject and i detested it so badly, bad choice..I want to got o kings or UCl to do english but i also enjoy photography and i am soo good at it i got an A in GCSE and i am still getting A at As level - my friend's dad works for burburry & he's seen my stuff and he sed i have potential in getting in the industry coz i am so good at it and i love it, so whats the problem? Well i would apply to do photography but it very very competitive, i know i will get somewhere but what i dont? My parents want me to take up something that will be worthwhile and i will get a job out of it, like its definate if that makes sense so i could go in to accountancy.. i dont know what path to take its getting me all confused..what would you do follow your heart or do what best ..what if you end up miserable (&& i l love english soo much ??
    In my experience, parents know nothing about your career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HNA)
    thanks, its actuallly not that bad i'm aiming to get into the top ten unis, just nervous coz they want AAB, AAA etc but i think i'll get a ABB- the last two subject might not get as high i fink C probs or E coz i picked ict as a filler subject and i detested it so badly, bad choice..I want to got o kings or UCl to do english but i also enjoy photography and i am soo good at it i got an A in GCSE and i am still getting A at As level - my friend's dad works for burburry & he's seen my stuff and he sed i have potential in getting in the industry coz i am so good at it and i love it, so whats the problem? Well i would apply to do photography but it very very competitive, i know i will get somewhere but what i dont? My parents want me to take up something that will be worthwhile and i will get a job out of it, like its definate if that makes sense so i could go in to accountancy.. i dont know what path to take its getting me all confused..what would you do follow your heart or do what best ..what if you end up miserable (&& i l love english soo much ??

There's always re takes, your predictions are important. Try getting AAB or AAA if you can push for it. Are you thinking of doing English Lit at uni? It's quite competative like History etc...You will need good As grades and a really good Personal Statement.
    Take a look here for some english PS's http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...nts_by_Subject
    At the end of the day you want to enjoy your degree so take what interests you. English i would think would be better respected by employers than photography would but it will be your 3 years at uni, so its your choice.
    You could do English at uni, and build up your portfolio, see how you feel when you finish, then you will have a good degree behind you and a portfolio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    There's always re takes, your predictions are important. Try getting AAB or AAA if you can push for it. Are you thinking of doing English Lit at uni? It's quite competative like History etc...You will need good As grades and a really good Personal Statement.
    Take a look here for some english PS's http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...nts_by_Subject
    At the end of the day you want to enjoy your degree so take what interests you. English i would think would be better respected by employers than photography would but it will be your 3 years at uni, so its your choice.
    i know thats the dilema, i want to do phototgraphy but is it really worth it? Its a weak subject aswell..so that why i am not soo keen on takin that at uni..might do english probs..that helped thanks
    x

(Original post by HNA)
    I was running out of breath reading that (and for some weird reason began hearing the voice of Vicky Pollard in my head)! Are you sure you want to read English?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strangey)
    Start by writing your personal statement for the subject(s) you want to study. As Zygroth said, wait untill you've got your results, then you can consider what unis you want to go for.
    i'll go by that thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HNA)
    i know thats the dilema, i want to do phototgraphy but is it really worth it? Its a weak subject aswell..so that why i am not soo keen on takin that at uni..might do english probs..that helped thanks
    x

If I were you, I would do English but you will really need to start reading lots and picking up on things that are important when reading like style/language.

Do you take English Literature at A level? If not then you will want a strong academic subject under your belt taking to A2 such as History or Philosophy, preferably more than one if you want the top unis. I used to want to do English at uni but I changed my mind to law so if you have any questions just ask.

Personally I would choose english but there's absolutely no point choosing something if your not good at it and you don't think you can come out of uni with a 2:1 or better.

Be realistic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choirboy)
    I was running out of breath reading that (and for some weird reason began hearing the voice of Vicky Pollard in my head)! Are you sure you want to read English?
    Half and Half --..i dont speak like her at all lool still thinking about it ><
    i couldnt be bovered to use commas soz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)

If I were you, I would do English but you will really need to start reading lots and picking up on things that are important when reading like style/language.

Do you take English Literature at A level? If not then you will want a strong academic subject under your belt taking to A2 such as History or Philosophy, preferably more than one if you want the top unis. I used to want to do English at uni but I changed my mind to law so if you have any questions just ask.

Personally I would choose english but there's absolutely no point choosing something if your not good at it and you don't think you can come out of uni with a 2:1 or better.

Be realistic
    Your right right now i need to be realistic, well i didnt really put that much thought into picking my subjects when i picked them because i was soo unsure >< i just picked english coz i really enjoyed it and i am good at it...i'm dropping ict and photography to do intenstive pschologhy AS/A2 along side english lit & lan A2 and Accounts A2 ..would it be a good idea?

i wish i knew what i wanted to do like all my other friends at an early stage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiparanoid)
    out of interest, what is your first language?
    English, why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HNA)
    Your right right now i need to be realistic, well i didnt really put that much thought into picking my subjects when i picked them because i was soo unsure >< i just picked english coz i really enjoyed it and i am good at it...i'm dropping ict and photography to do intenstive pschologhy AS/A2 along side english lit & lan A2 and Accounts A2 ..would it be a good idea?

i wish i knew what i wanted to do like all my other friends at an early stage

Most people change their mind anyway so don't worry.
    So you plan to have:

A2:Psychology, English lit & lang, Accounting?
    As: ICT, photography

I don't think you should try to do an intensive unless you are a consistan AAAAAA Grade student. A2 is FAR harder than As, you will look back to As and think it was a walk in the park. You will need all the free time you can get in year 13, cramming in a while A2 is really not a good idea. I would advise you take photography and forget about the psychology. Psychology is hard from what i hear with many case studies and things to remember, everyone i know who took if for As is dropping it for A2. Your good at photography, you need AAA for A2, keep what your good at and work hard.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.