Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had strongly considerered going to Paris for a week in Sept to learn French (I'm at intermediate sort of level). Now I'm having doubts and don't know if it would be worth my time or money, as the costs are all adding up.

Has anyone been on language holidays before? Are they worth the money?

Any other suggestions as to what I could do instead?

ReputationRep:
    I've been on holidays to practise my French before - it's well worth it.

I seriously do recommend that you go on a holiday to practise. Don't be scared - the first times that you have to say things to the native speakers, you might get a bit apprehensive, but you'll enjoy it so much you won't want to go home.

They are definitely worth the money - people go on holidays to countries where the language spoken they do not speak, but you'll have the same experiences but with the added extra of being able to get by properly =]

When I was in the lower sixth and studying A-level French I spent two weeks on an intensive French language course in Nice. It was excellent and I would recommend it - the social side of the course was good too and I ended up having much greater confidence in conversation as well as a wider vocab.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good plan!

I'm going to my uncle's in France next week for a week; hopefully I won't just spent it sunbathing and fishing - hopefully I'll get out there and blow the cobwebs away before my French degree starts in Oct, haha!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.