Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    I just got an email from bsms saying the day after we move in we need to be at the Medical school building at 8:30am.

Does that time even exist in the morning?
    :sadnod: At Newcastle we have lectures during freshers week - no fair! :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyferret)
    Does that include you?

Spoiler:
    Show
    :rofl:
    :rofl:

I wish :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    You know your display picture is mesmerizing. I find myself sitting at my laptop swaying my head at the same time as david tennant :p:
    I find the best way is to simply give into it, and sway your head :yep:

Once you've got a headache you'll want to stop :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    :sadnod: At Newcastle we have lectures during freshers week - no fair! :cry:
    Real lectures or the introductory types? At Brighton there are introductory ones but the real ones dont start untill the following week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    Real lectures or the introductory types? At Brighton there are introductory ones but the real ones dont start untill the following week.
    Real ones I think. AND they are close to normal timetable, or so they said on the offer-holders day. They did say that they'd try to finish by mid-afternoon so we can at least enjoy some fresher's events :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (random vent)

I haven't got a bleedin' clue where I want to go to uni to study medicine and it's quite annoying/worrying. Currently the thing that seems to be the deciding factor is how unis examine their students and none of the websites seem to mention that!

P.S. I don't expect an answer to this because I kinda know what to do, just needed to get that off my chest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    (random vent)

I haven't got a bleedin' clue where I want to go to uni to study medicine and it's quite annoying/worrying. Currently the thing that seems to be the deciding factor is how unis examine their students and none of the websites seem to mention that!

P.S. I don't expect an answer to this because I kinda know what to do, just needed to get that off my chest.
    Are you not visiting any? Do you want to to an intercalated BSc? What type of learning would you prefer? Where would you like to live; on a campus or in a city based university?

ReputationRep:
    (random vent)

Open days are a good place to start :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (random vent)

Go visit some that you particularly like - there's nothing like going to the place and getting a feel for the atmosphere there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Are you not visiting any? Do you want to to an intercalated BSc? What type of learning would you prefer? Where would you like to live; on a campus or in a city based university?
    This is the problem: I really don't mind. I can see advantages either way. I used to be adverse to PBL but now I don't think I'd mind it so much. A BSc would be nice but again, it wouldn't be a deciding factor for a uni choice. I would like a uni where clinical stuff starts early so I suppose that is a starting point. And I'm not bothered with campus/city.

So, going by your posts, I assume you can go to unis even it's not an open day?

ReputationRep:
    This is the problem: I really don't mind. I can see advantages either way. I used to be adverse to PBL but now I don't think I'd mind it so much. A BSc would be nice but again, it wouldn't be a deciding factor for a uni choice. I would like a uni where clinical stuff starts early so I suppose that is a starting point. And I'm not bothered with campus/city.

Well it depends, some do tours and some don't. You really can't tell how you'd feel about the uni until you see them. There are general open days you could go to if you can't make the medicine ones, and sometimes if you ask nicely, they do tours, like I said before. It's good to get a feel for the atmosphere, the area and the university in general. Some people would despise London, but even though I only visited UCL at my interview for the first time (didn't have time for an open day really, it was a last minute decision, but a good one) when I went, I absolutely adored it. Just the atmosphere of London, I found it exciting and even though the other universities seemed nice as well, I didn't feel as "in place" at them.

Realistically, if you read up more on one, you'll find one you want to do more than the other. I mean I preferred integrated because it seemed like the best of both worlds, PBL seemed OK, but I wouldn't like learning so much myself, whilst it has some advantages, to me, it would also have personal disadvantages.

ReputationRep:

As you evidently don't seem to mind so much, you can narrow your choices by focussing on the good bits of your application. For example...if you have a string of A*s at GCSE you could look into the medical schools who place a strong emphasis on GCSE's; if you have a high UKCAT score...

This probably isn't the best way but worth considering when narrowing down choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyferret)
    As you evidently don't seem to mind so much, you can narrow your choices by focussing on the good bits of your application. For example...if you have a string of A*s at GCSE you could look into the medical schools who place a strong emphasis on GCSE's; if you have a high UKCAT score...

This probably isn't the best way but worth considering when narrowing down choices.
    Thanks. You don't happen to know which unis place most importance on GCSEs, do you? Because mine weren't amazing (2A*s,5As,6Bs,1C)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Well it depends, some do tours and some don't. You really can't tell how you'd feel about the uni until you see them. There are general open days you could go to if you can't make the medicine ones, and sometimes if you ask nicely, they do tours, like I said before. It's good to get a feel for the atmosphere, the area and the university in general. Some people would despise London, but even though I only visited UCL at my interview for the first time (didn't have time for an open day really, it was a last minute decision, but a good one) when I went, I absolutely adored it. Just the atmosphere of London, I found it exciting and even though the other universities seemed nice as well, I didn't feel as "in place" at them.

Realistically, if you read up more on one, you'll find one you want to do more than the other. I mean I preferred integrated because it seemed like the best of both worlds, PBL seemed OK, but I wouldn't like learning so much myself, whilst it has some advantages, to me, it would also have personal disadvantages.
    And this is how we're now stuck with Miss Evil Cakeface :eek3:

:p:

How long til you kill one of us with the evil stare? :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    What happened to beccy.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    What happened to beccy.?
    :iiam:

I have no idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    :iiam:

I have no idea
    holiday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    What happened to beccy.?
    Holiday in Italy - back pretty soon I believe :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FFCrusader)
    And this is how we're now stuck with Miss Evil Cakeface :eek3:

:p:

How long til you kill one of us with the evil stare? :teeth:
    When one of you gets on my bad side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    Holiday in Italy - back pretty soon I believe :woo:
    awsum. For a moment there I thought she'd left. :lockstock: No one leaves.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.