Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    I actually felt pretty guilty cos I didn't put much effort into my A-levels and everyone thought I'd worked really hard!

Now I'm getting more annoyed by my mum asking me "Are you sure you can handle this course?!"
    What I don't get is why nobody wants to appear hardworking. It's all about doing the minimum amount of work and scraping through... I mean, is that meant to be cool or something?? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    What I don't get is why nobody wants to appear hardworking. It's all about doing the minimum amount of work and scraping through... I mean, is that meant to be cool or something?? :p:
    nah, I worked my **** off when doing my A-levels, because most of the time, its not knowing the subject that is required, its knowing how to use what you learned on a paper :p: It certainly stands for Biology, where they set you 1000 synoptic-like question, where you really should have consulted the mark scheme before answering.
    I did slack off a bit in the end though- due to sheer exhaustion :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutVinceriAutMori)
    nah, I worked my **** off when doing my A-levels, because most of the time, its not knowing the subject that is required, its knowing how to use what you learned on a paper :p: It certainly stands for Biology, where they set you 1000 synoptic-like question, where you really should have consulted the mark scheme before answering.
    I did slack off a bit in the end though- due to sheer exhaustion :yawn:
    I don't mean that nobody works hard, just no one wants other people to think that they work hard. It's a bit weird if you ask me, I mean, I was happy doing lots of extra reading/research and wiking random stuff for biology, and some other people were as well, though they'd happily deny all of that when anybody asked :p: Well, pretend they don't know the answers to questions they clearly do anyway

Admittedly, it does get a bit weird sometimes though when you're in the library looking up syphilis on wikipedia :p:

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I told them I was working when I wasn't. I just think I'd completely lost all motivation...

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand either - some of my friends show off about how little work they've done, then wonder why they get low grades :s:
    I worked myself into the ground for these summer exams (which is pretty much normal for me :p:). I had written so many notes for revision I weakened my wrist and ended up having to taking Ibuprofen and wearing a splint in every exam :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean that nobody works hard, just no one wants other people to think that they work hard. It's a bit weird if you ask me, I mean, I was happy doing lots of extra reading/research and wiking random stuff for biology, and some other people were as well, though they'd happily deny all of that when anybody asked :p: Well, pretend they don't know the answers to questions they clearly do anyway

Admittedly, it does get a bit weird sometimes though when you're in the library looking up syphilis on wikipedia :p:
    I want people to think I work hard, but people who know me probably are aware of that, sinse I sepnd most of my time studying
    Even more weird wheny you do it from age of 15 :p: I remember reading a book on STI's at home and my mother commenting on how weird it is.

ReputationRep:

:rofl:
    Now THAT could lead to some very embarassing situations...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    I don't understand either - some of my friends show off about how little work they've done, then wonder why they get low grades :s:
    I worked myself into the ground for these summer exams (which is pretty much normal for me :p:). I had written so many notes for revision I weakened my wrist and ended up having to taking Ibuprofen and wearing a splint in every exam :p:
    I managed without Ibuprofen, but by the end of English exam I had a violent cramp which made me wish I have written less revision notes

ReputationRep:
    At my school, it seems to be the other way round... they show off about doing virtually no work at all (when in fact they obviously work quite hard). I mean, it makes it seem almost as if hard-work is a bad thing when it obviously isn't :p: Good on anyone who works hard - I think it shows they care about their future.

I don't write that many notes for revision, I just tend to read loads of stuff generally, and quite a lot of it sticks. I read back what doesn't and try to memorise a few mark scheme answers as well, for silly exams like biology :p: I think I worked quite hard for AS, although nowhere near as much for A2.

ReputationRep:
    I managed without Ibuprofen, but by the end of English exam I had a violent cramp which made me wish I have written less revision notes
    Looking back on it, the situation is quite amusing. But at the time it really wasn't fun having to sit exams in pain and unable to write properly

ReputationRep:
    Looking back on it, the situation is quite amusing. But at the time it really wasn't fun having to sit exams in pain and unable to write properly
    add a general exhaustion and a crippling desire to just curl up and fall asleep, and there you would have my last minutes of a-levels Oh, wait, there was also a feverish search for possible mistakes and mad leafing through the answer book.

But at least we could say we tried our best andf earned our grades with blood, sweat and tears :p:

ReputationRep:

I know, the wierdest time of my life was the SEX pbl Looking up the physiology of erections/orgasms and discussing with my mates was well strange. It's wierd how normal words fit into convo sometimes...

ReputationRep:
    I want people to think I work hard, but people who know me probably are aware of that, sinse I sepnd most of my time studying
    Even more weird wheny you do it from age of 15 :p: I remember reading a book on STI's at home and my mother commenting on how weird it is.
    :rofl:
    Now THAT could lead to some very embarassing situations...
    Well, nobody said anything but everyone was looking, so I just quickly closed that window :p:

Wikipedia though, is very good

ReputationRep:
    Well, nobody said anything but everyone was looking, so I just quickly closed that window :p:

Wikipedia though, is very good
    I hate it when people look over my shoulder :mad2: Who cares if I read about syphilis, go and do some reading on your own :p:

Wikipedia is a total lifesaver when it comes to doing assignments :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    I know, the wierdest time of my life was the SEX pbl Looking up the physiology of erections/orgasms and discussing with my mates was well strange. It's wierd how normal words fit into convo sometimes...
    One of our PBL weeks this year was complications of diabetes, and I ended up with the impotence/sexual dysfunction question... I presented back the possible treatments for impotence in the form of some nice, graphic pictures which shocked most of the group and of course were up on the screen when our temporary facilitator walked into the room :o: The boys looked quite uncomfortable when we'd finished discussing the options :p: the idea of injections/intraurethral pellets didn't appeal :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    One of our PBL weeks this year was complications of diabetes, and I ended up with the impotence/sexual dysfunction question... I presented back the possible treatments for impotence in the form of some nice, graphic pictures which shocked most of the group and of course were up on the screen when our temporary facilitator walked into the room :o: The boys looked quite uncomfortable when we'd finished discussing the options :p: the idea of injections/intraurethral pellets didn't appeal :rofl:

HAHA thats amazing! When we were giving the sex PBL feedback it was so cringeworthy, everyone ignored erections and orgasms until the facilitator piped up "what about orgasms?, they are pretty important :hubba:

ReputationRep:
    is it just me but a lot of BBCs want to be docs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    HAHA thats amazing! When we were giving the sex PBL feedback it was so cringeworthy, everyone ignored erections and orgasms until the facilitator piped up "what about orgasms?, they are pretty important :hubba:
    hahahahahaha

ReputationRep:

Hygeia & Fatal, as two PS helpers, can you tell me if its worth mentioning treatment of your family members in your PS? something alonghte lines of " the work of doctor's on my father's hand" ? Or is it a common cliche in personal statements focused on medicine?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Hygeia & Fatal, as two PS helpers, can you tell me if its worth mentioning treatment of your family members in your PS? something alonghte lines of " the work of doctor's on my father's hand" ? Or is it a common cliche in personal statements focused on medicine?
    Thanks in advance
    I did Everything in a medical PS is a cliche, I very much doubt if anyone writes anything completely original.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.