Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Ah, fair enough, iTunes just consistently breaks for me, and it doesn't play FLAC either

I'd be careful with that set-up by the way, I did that with my first hard drive and it broke after a few months of use. I reckon it was because it was switched on pretty much all the time and in constant use, but who knows :p:
    Thanks for making me paranoid. :s: I think this is meant to be on all the time (it says it powers up and down with your computer), but still... :erm:

How did you get your stuff back? Did you have the presence of mind to back it up somewhere else as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Thanks for making me paranoid. :s: I think this is meant to be on all the time (it says it powers up and down with your computer), but still... :erm:

How did you get your stuff back? Did you have the presence of mind to back it up somewhere else as well?
    Well, I guess it depends what you use it for. If you're using it as a server or something, then obviously it's more likely to break as it's probably on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you switch it off when you go to bed, then it should be fine (but I left my computer on most of the time to download stuff etc... before).

I'm guessing you have a Western Digital - well, if you do, they're nice and reliable anyway, but hard drives do break, it isn't uncommon. The really big killer of hard drives is a power-cut when you're using it... then there's a chance it gets corrupted :p: As for back-ups, well, I never do really back-up my stuff, even though you can online... each blu-ray clip is like 11GB, so I'd be there for a long time backing up lol... but I was lucky because a few weeks ago, I'd given my friend a copy of everything (well, pretty much) I had on my drive, because he wanted to watch all these things I had :teeth:

So I just got it back off him when I got a new drive If your hard drive starts sounding weird, generally, that's the time to start back-ups :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    What else would I have meant by "kingfisher"? Some weird gay euphemism?? :p:

Are those camera-binocular things any good?
    Maybe the Kingfisher books? :p:

The camera quality is actually surprisingly good, but I'd never need to use a pair of binoculars to capture whatever I wanted to capture :p: Maybe if I was spying on someone who lived down the road... then maybe, but otherwise, I'd never use it :p:

I'll see if I can find some photos that were taken with that camera

ReputationRep:
    You can get a decent WD one for like £70 now, or something like that.
    yeah i think i might get one once im at uni.. i dont want to buy one and have more luggage to bring over :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holsy)
    :coma:
    :coma: :teeth:

I had to relocate my iTunes library onto it because it was too big for the internal harddrive.
    :rofl2:

My itunes library isn't quite that big yet :p:

Although I might end up storing most things on there so my computer has space and hopefully run faster :teeth:

(Original post by scaryhair)
    If you don't mind me asking, how much was it? It actually seems like a good idea :teeth:
    I think it was £77.99 off play, there are a couple fo cheaper ones but I didn't like the look of their reviews :p:

I got a Western Digital as it seemed to be reccommended

(Original post by HiBear)
    :coma: :coma:

i want.
    Buy one :p:

My 1TB hard drive is 80% full :p:
    Impressive :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FFCrusader)
    I think it was £77.99 off play, there are a couple fo cheaper ones but I didn't like the look of their reviews :p:

I got a Western Digital as it seemed to be reccommended
    Not wanting to bum out your purchase but amazon are doing the WD mybook 1TB for 74.69 and the WD elements 1TB for 68.95 both free delivery of course. I'm trying to decide which one to get myself- too many video files for my laptop currently (used 250Gb of its 270Gb drive :eek:)

ReputationRep:
    haha there's so much to do before i move out. im so happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munro90)
    Not wanting to bum out your purchase but amazon are doing the WD mybook 1TB for 74.69 and the WD elements 1TB for 68.95 both free delivery of course. I'm trying to decide which one to get myself- too many video files for my laptop currently (used 250Gb of its 270Gb drive :eek:)
    :eviltongue:

I don't mind too much as long as it works :p: That means it was only £3.30 more....:p:

Seems to be good so far :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl2:

My itunes library isn't quite that big yet :p:
    It was taking up a rather ridiculous amount of space. And it's only getting bigger.

Although I might end up storing most things on there so my computer has space and hopefully run faster :teeth:
    Don't shout that too loud, or all the tech freaks will hear and crucify you. :p: Hard drive space doesn't really have any impact on performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munro90)
    MyBook is better. More... aesthetically pleasing :p:

ReputationRep:
    It was taking up a rather ridiculous amount of space. And it's only getting bigger.
    How big is ridiculous? :p:

Yeah...the amount of music just keeps increasing :erm:

Don't shout that too loud, or all the tech freaks will hear and crucify you. :p: Hard drive space doesn't really have any impact on performance.
    :shh:

It seems to do so on my pc though :erm: When it was practically full it was unbelievably slow even when defragmented :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, fair enough, iTunes just consistently breaks for me, and it doesn't play FLAC either

I'd be careful with that set-up by the way, I did that with my first hard drive and it broke after a few months of use. I reckon it was because it was switched on pretty much all the time and in constant use, but who knows :p:
    as soon as filled my iTunes my laptop broke :sad: and until I download antiviruses onto new one there is no point in starting it again :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutVinceriAutMori)
    as soon as filled my iTunes my laptop broke :sad: and until I download antiviruses onto new one there is no point in starting it again :mad:
    NOD32

ReputationRep:
    How big is ridiculous? :p:

Yeah...the amount of music just keeps increasing :erm:
    The music side was actually pretty small, ~10GB, but it was all the other stuff which took the space. I have ~15GB of audiobooks, and then conservatively around 50GB each of tv shows and movies.

Which meant I had about 25GB left free on my computer for everything else, which was a bit of a problem. :p:

:shh:

It seems to do so on my pc though :erm: When it was practically full it was unbelievably slow even when defragmented :lolwut:
    Fair enough. My computer is just slowly dying - the bluetooth is incredibly temperamental, USB ports keep failing, the internet has gotten painstakingly slow and trying to watch any videos or anything flash based is nigh on impossible.

Hopefully, if everything goes ok on results day, I'll be getting myself a nice shiny new laptop in September.

ReputationRep:
    NOD32
    Beg pardon? I don't speak computer, much :o:

ReputationRep:
    Beg pardon? I don't speak computer, much :o:
    It's a very good antivirus software. Google it.

ReputationRep:
    It's a very good antivirus software. Google it.
    Ah, thanks, will look it up. My uncle downloaded Norton on the PC, but sinse he is German, he downloaded it in German, which means that when a new window opens I swear and reach for a dictionary. But he meant well
    And McAfee sucks :mad2:

ReputationRep:
    The music side was actually pretty small, ~10GB, but it was all the other stuff which took the space. I have ~15GB of audiobooks, and then conservatively around 50GB each of tv shows and movies.

Which meant I had about 25GB left free on my computer for everything else, which was a bit of a problem. :p:
    That is a slight problem :p:

I mainly bought the external hard drive so I don't have to make hundreds of discs for the movies and tv shows that I have as I'm not taking my desktop to uni

Fair enough. My computer is just slowly dying - the bluetooth is incredibly temperamental, USB ports keep failing, the internet has gotten painstakingly slow and trying to watch any videos or anything flash based is nigh on impossible.

Hopefully, if everything goes ok on results day, I'll be getting myself a nice shiny new laptop in September.
    That does sound almost dead.... My desktop is alright as I've added things to it (RAM, graphics card and an extra hard drive) so it's not as bad as it would be :p: Though it is quite an old pc...had it for about 6 years I think

I ordered my laptop over the weekend and it should arrive in 2 weeks

I have no money now though :bawling:

I wish you the best of luck with your results So you get into Oxford and then in 3 years shall join the darkside at Barts :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, thanks, will look it up. My uncle downloaded Norton on the PC, but sinse he is German, he downloaded it in German, which means that when a new window opens I swear and reach for a dictionary. But he meant well
    And McAfee sucks :mad2:
    I've given up on paying for antivirus software :p: Mcafee does suck And costs waaaay too much too

I currently use AVG which seems to do the job And the best part it is free :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    I've given up on paying for antivirus software :p: Mcafee does suck And costs waaaay too much too

I currently use AVG which seems to do the job And the best part it is free :teeth:
    I think we did have AVG :yep:
    And McAfee is craaaaap, I blame it for my old laptops demise :cry:
    Need to find some kind of disk to fix it, but have no idea what that is :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.